Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf / Bora Handling (owners advice please)

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2003, 10:38 AM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering changing my Scoob for something more economic - Golf / Bora 130 PD TDI is top of the list at the moment.

I test drove a Golf 130 GTTDI at the w/e, and the front tyres were squeeling going round a roundabout at about 30 mph - a roundabout I know, and take a lot! quicker in the Scooby without a thought. Can any owners or otherwise - tell me if:

a) 'they all do that sir'
b) this one isn't representitive
c) I'm expecting too much from a fwd car
d) the Bora (Sport) handles better (something a salesman said to me)

Cheers
Steve
Old 23 June 2003, 11:14 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

I've got a Golf V5 and TBH it's most likely a case of 'they all do that, Sir!'. They're not completely cr@p, but you are going to get a fair bit of roll and understeer. It doesn't mean you can't throw it about tho!

It's prolly worth mentioning here that I come from a background of bikes (which rule ) and rep-mobiles. After spending a few days driving my wife's Mx5 the result was a moan about the Golf's steering. Oh, and abuse from my brother-in-law. Thanks Neil.

Overall, I think they are good at what they do, but if I was buying one I would have to try both the Seat Leon and the Skoda Octavia for comparison.

Iain
Old 23 June 2003, 09:33 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I think it depends really if it has the 'Sport' suspension. I have an early V5 the 150Bhp model it has body roll aplenty as it has 'Luxury' suspension.
As far as I am aware the models which came with the sportier suspension are the 1.8T GTi, 170 Bhp V5 and Golf PD150 all the others have standard suspension including the GTi's !
Old 23 June 2003, 10:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are crap, thats all there is to it, big squealy wobbly lardy arsed barge of a car, nice to look at and the Diesel engine is good (for a Diesel) but show it a corner and it goes a bit wrong, The three I have driven are fairly similar to drive quickly round a bend as my wifes Sharan, no feedback, loads of roll and not very confidence inspiring at all. Volkswagen keep getting it progressively worse with Golfs, the rot set in with the MK3, I sincerly hope that the new one with independant suspension sorts matters as I wouldnt buy one nowadays.
Old 24 June 2003, 01:29 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Get a 150bhp PD and it`ll have the suspension from the 1.8T. It`s not great but it`ll be better than "crap" as somebody put it. They will all roll and generally be saggy compared to an Impreza.

Just enjoy the torque and enjoy the 700+ miles between fill-ups!

You can also get the sports suspension which comes with 17" Santa Monica alloys, again it`ll be no Scoob but it wont be as bad as a standard Bora.
Old 24 June 2003, 07:43 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

The 130 GT TDI comees on 15"s and 195/65's as std...... make of that what you will.

SEAT Leon is far stiffer (but still no Scoob) ~ they've finally announced the 130PD engine in that car for 2004.

As already stated, you can order the car with 16"s or the full sports suspension and 17"s (with 225/45's). It'll still be a bit softer than a Scoob, but should be a country mile (what the 4uck is a country mile anyway ) better than the car you test drove.

Evo mag drove the V5 with the above setup and were pretty impressed.

If you're interested, I'd ask the garage to find you a suitable car to test.....
Old 24 June 2003, 10:02 AM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

I did go down and look at the Seat Leon, but was a bit disapointed that they didn't have anything more than the 110 TDI engine - but did notice that they put the 130 TDI into the Ibiza. That sounded more like a decent package - 200 kg lighter than a Golf, 400 kg lighter than a Bora, and so the sales blurb said 'sport suspension' - anybody any experience of these?

Just to add a bit of background - the requirements of the new car are:
a) needs to be able to tow around 800-900 kg (Westie on trailer)
b) be mean on fuel while doing it (not 12 mpg with the Scoob)
c) be enjoyable to drive when I get the chance

Any other likely candidates / opinions?

Cheers
Steve
Old 24 June 2003, 10:12 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

ChrisB runs one, and Fen "RB5#295" did for a while (revo remapped to 182 bhp )

Better still ask some of the guys at Seatcupra.net HERE. Friendly bunch.

Details on Leon are a little sketchy still ~ Seat UK website now has price for 2004 spec Leon TDI130 but it isn't listed in tech specs or equip specs [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] If you're interested I'd prod your dealer a bit for more info ~ would expect it to make a better towcar than the Beeza.
Old 24 June 2003, 10:33 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Talking

My mate used to work as a VW salesman and he really rated the Bora. It seemed a lot more composed than the Golf through bends. He drove the 130bhp diesel and could easily keep up with a MY98 sccob (he was a bit handy behind the wheel mind)
Old 24 June 2003, 06:20 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

They all do that sir!
I've got a std Golf TDI PD 130 5-dr and it rolls something cronic through bends, but don't be too put off by this - it'll actually hang on more than you'd believe at first. The body roll just knocks the confidence out of you. The 15" wheels and 65 section tyres don't help at all (and I've not got the sports suspension) but it was bought for the wife who hates the Scoob's suspension.
Old 25 June 2003, 08:49 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with Mungo....rolls like trauler in high seas but still has a fair amount of grip. The Focus handles much better on twisty roads IMO.

Near where I live there is a slip-road from one dual carriageway to another which involves a long sweeping bend, the golf (PDTDi130) holds on just as long as the focus did before understeer creeps in. The golf doesn't feel quite as positive though and the front wheels don't give much feed back at high speed cornering and feel a bit 'light' , if you know what I mean. Other than that, I haven't had any complaints with my company supplied chariot.
Old 25 June 2003, 03:05 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Test drive any of the VAG Golf/Leon/Bora deisels then in the same day test drive a Focus Zetec TDCi.

You will not believe how poor the the VAG cars handle compared to the Focus.

The Focus is 15bhp down on the PD130 but has a similar amout of torque during its overboost period. I find the TDCi unit is more refined than the PD's and has a wider useable power range. I can make faster smoother progress in a TDCi Focus than I can in a PD130.

I drive lots of hire cars in my job and they are usually of this type of car or Mondeo/Vectra. I would much rather have the Focus diesel than a VAG car.

The only plus side the Golf/Bora have is that they do "feel" better put together and have a better image (if that bothers you) than the Focus.
Reliabilty I couldn't call either way but remember the German "JD Power" type survey had the Focus as Germany's most reliable car.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 6/25/2003 3:07:55 PM]
Old 28 June 2003, 06:25 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

My mum has a Golf TDi 130, and we specced it to have the 16" wheels and the sports suspension. This is the same suspension thats on the TDi 150, GTi 1.8T etc and it does make a BIG difference.

I drove a standard one and it was really crap, and while my mums car is no Evo VI, it's fine to my mind, and an excellent long distance cruiser, sitting at 110mph all day on the motorway in comfort (if needed!).

Chris