Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Just driven the z4

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2003, 04:35 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launched today - drove it at 9.30 am. Fabulous car. Quicker than I thought it would be (3 litre). Not really that far behind my sti7 (non ppp). Very planted on the road and loads of grip.

Very nice noise, especially with the top down - pops on the overrun. A great alternative to the Boxster if you want something thats a little less focussed for evryday use but just as quick.

PLaced my deposit - get it whenever - probably next year some time.

Boxster is a better looker but the overall package of the z4 is more suited to me. The fully automatic hood is superb..

I look forward to howls of derision for buying a beemer - bring it on
Old 19 June 2003, 05:10 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Can`t agree with you more, looks fantastic in the right colour. Enjoy!
Old 19 June 2003, 05:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I hate BMW's with a passion, especially Z3's, but the Z4 looks very, very nice.
Old 19 June 2003, 05:34 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Mines coming July 7th! Also has a PPP'd STI 7 before it so glad to see it still feels pretty quick - Test drive on Saturday - Can't wait.

Had a fiddle with one in the showroom today, think I've made the right decision - luverly interior. I was abit woried about some of the negative comments about the steering - how did you find that?

Rich

Old 19 June 2003, 05:37 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

2 a penny already out here in DE, do look better than Z3 IMHO and especially nice in black
Old 19 June 2003, 05:47 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I thought the steering was very good - not as feelsome as the porsche but certainly good enough. The sport button sharpens things up quite a bit. What imressed me most was the damping - very good ride - even on 18's.

I must admit I was surprise by how well it went. It only had 23 miles on the clock and the torque was impressive. Don't get me wrong, its not sti quick but I wasn't dissapointed. (and I won't miss fueling up every other day either)

Black is nice but sterling grey is better

The waiting list is now March next year (ish) and Sytners believe this will stretch to 18 months.
Old 19 June 2003, 06:42 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Congratulations

BMW Soft top excellent.

But a few jealous people will have a go at you when you have the top down,(happens once every couple of months or so to me or the missus) best solution is to throw lose change at them and shout "keep begging you might be able to afford one soon" (Top tip make sure your car is under way and there aren't any traffic lights up ahead )
Old 19 June 2003, 08:21 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sold mine today. Lucky owner picks it up tomorrow. Made some money on a car for once

Jonathan
Old 20 June 2003, 09:33 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

best solution is to throw lose change at them and shout "keep begging you might be able to afford one soon"
Nothing like antagonising people and furthering/fullfilling stereotypes is there?

Matt.
Old 20 June 2003, 09:42 AM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

Loads of these in Paris too!
Old 20 June 2003, 09:45 AM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

I think they look awesome (a little bit S2000 like close up).

I live in Hants and I've seen one on the road for age's its a 52 - reg! Only problem is its this rank 'goose poo' green colour.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:19 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

A guy I do business with in the US has had a Z4 for a few months now - he is going to swap back to a Boxster in the next few weeks - says BMW have made the car too much of a compromise and should have made it a proper out and out roadster.

Can't say I'm surprised coming as the car does from the ultimate triumph of marketing over substance that is BMW - the 'ultimate driving machine' (sic).

As for Mmmmm's comment regarding the lose(sic) change and affording one if it was meant anything other than entirely humourously then I hope you one day reap what you sow ... that sort of attitude goes hand in hand with the BMW ownership experience.

Some people ...

Regards,

tiggers
Old 20 June 2003, 11:14 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I can understand the comments about the z4 being a compromise, and it is, thats why I'm getting one. It needs to do the fun thing and the work thing well.

As for a triumph of marketing over ability or whatever, I'm not so sure, it is unquestionably well engineered. It isn't a Boxster though and that for me is a good thing, for others it won't be

Matt
Old 20 June 2003, 02:05 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

IMHO the z4 is a huge advance over the Z3. It is better looking no doubt - but I personally still have doubts on the longevity of a its looks....Some cars have that almost ageless design - which unfortunately the Z4 doesnt in my eyes.

Then again - I got a Boxster
Enjoy !

Gastro
Old 21 June 2003, 03:16 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

Having seen a black one on the back of a transporter the other day i must say the pictures of them don't do them any justice and it looked very nice in the flesh (and black has to be the colour to show of it's lines).

Still wouldn't pay Porsche money for one though.