Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ITR or Clio Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2003, 02:45 PM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After weeks of deliberating what my next car would be, I thought I had finally decided on an ITR, then I keep reading all these stories about the Cup and how good it is, and its got me thinking about one now!.
I have up to 10k to spend and that would get me either a good MY 2000 Teg or a nearly new Cup. I was hoping there might be a few on here that have experience of both or have some constructive opinions on one or the other.

The Teg seems to have a few more pluses for me at the moment as it has the LSD, good reliability, build quality and decent MPG and possibly better sell on value in a couple of years, but it seems the Clio has great performance (although I would imagine similar to the Teg), better mpg, and certainly seems to be the car of the moment, on here at least, so I would be grateful of any comments people may have.

Thanks

Old 19 June 2003, 02:55 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I don’t think the cup will depreciate as fast as the normal 172 as it’s a special edition. The old Clio Williams hold there price very well you still see M reg ****** going for £5-6K, which is loads for an 8 year old Clio. May be Cup will go the same way??
Old 19 June 2003, 03:17 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Well I've not personally driven a Cup, but I have a very good friend who owned a Teg for 18 months and now drives a Cup.

He wishes he still had the Teg as he said good although the Cup is it is no match for the combination of great handling, looks, build quality and reliabiity of the Honda.

He is the main reason I currently have a Teg in my possession and I have to say the car has really grown on me - you have to thrash it to get the best from it, but the best is definitely worth getting.

Unlike my mate I'm not 100% sure about the looks of the Teg, but they do appear to be mechanically bombproof as long as you service them properly etc.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 19 June 2003, 03:46 PM
zero77
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the Teg, it's a perfectly ballanced race car, French build quality is very iffy.
Old 19 June 2003, 04:39 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

cup isnt a special edition at all mate sorry to spoil everyones idea of it been one
Old 19 June 2003, 05:03 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Well it is a special edition 172. However it is not a limited edition model!
Old 19 June 2003, 05:04 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Teg EVERY time
Old 19 June 2003, 05:53 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

cup isnt a special edition at all mate sorry to spoil everyones idea of it been one
Fare enough

"The limited run of Clio Renaultsport 172 Cup has now been extended following all 500 units of the UK’s initial allocation being sold out"
Taken from carpages.com

If that isn't a Special/limited edition what is??

[Edited by Tim-Grove - 19/06/2003 17:55:13]
Old 19 June 2003, 06:46 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The Cup is a limited edition - limited to length of time in production.

The Brand Manager for the Clio in the UK (posts on the ClioSport forum) has confirmed the Cup production will end in October of this year.
Old 19 June 2003, 07:06 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

ITR, anyone who says otherwise is a mentalist!

Chris
Old 20 June 2003, 12:11 AM
Gary VR6
Scooby Regular

It's close call. Call me a mentalist, but I went for the Cup.

I've long been a fan of ITRs, and I had £11k to play with 3 months ago. My choice was: ITR, scooby, or cup.

I've had 2 '92-'95 generation (eg) civics previously; a 125bhp single cam ESi, and a 167bhp twin cam VTi. I'm honda's biggest fan, I'm sure. And even though I'd heard lots of good stuff about the cup, it wasn't until I test drove one that I was convinced - it took just ten minutes for me to decide there and then that it was the car for me (and I bought it). 3 months on and I haven't regretted it for one minute - it really is the best handling, gutsiest, "I feel like a driving god" car I've had (and that list includes 2 205gtis and a golf vr6). Gutsy torque is what wins it performance wise.

Pros for ITR remain it's cult status, rarity, low depreciation, style, race pedigree, and build quality.

Oh, I asked the question "how many cups have been sold in UK?" on cliosport.net, and a renault guy responded - "about 1350 had been sold to the end of May 03". So perhaps there will be 2000 by the time production ceases in the autumn?
Old 20 June 2003, 08:43 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Replaced my old scooby with an ITR;

Plus side:
- Better fuel consumtion
- Every bit as quick
- Interior is more refined
- Better build quality
- Even more of a head turner
- Dealers more than happy to work on a JDM car

Negative side:
- No rumble
- Very jumpy at the front end when accelerating in the low gears (although I am reliably informed this is 90% down to the bridgestones I have on there at the moment)
- I would consider rarity a down side for if anything (God forbid) goes wrong then it is harder to get parts

piccies here

At the very least you can say that after reading everybodys posts you will be able to make an informed decision!

Rich
Old 20 June 2003, 08:45 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

they are now releasing the cup in silver as a colour option they are stopping production of the 172 and offereing the cup with options like air con and leather
Old 20 June 2003, 09:21 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Not wishing to diss the clio, but one is a focused drivers car with a hand build engine that produces over 100bhp per litre, revs to 8,900 rpm has a structurally reinforced and braced shell with specially lightened glass and alloy parts, and is widely acknowledged as being one of the best, if not THE best handling front wheel drive chassis of all time with double wishbones front and rear.

And one is a notoriously badly made and unreliable french shopping trolley into which a powerful engine has been dropped with a few interior and sound deadening parts binned to save weight. Granted its a good handler, and is pretty quick, no doubt, but not in the same league.

Teg was £20k new, remember.

You'd be as well comparing Cup to Classic Scoob.

Just my thoughts

D
Old 20 June 2003, 09:22 AM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones comments, its been good to hear other peoples informed opinions.

I think the ITR still just has it for me then, for most of the reasons mentioned above, I suppose it shouldn't be forgotten that the ITR was a 20k car from new and it should be expeceted to have better build, ineterior quality etc.
I have had MY93 and MY98 Civic VTi's in the past and although there not everyones cup of tea I do have a love for the high revving VTEC engines, making them work hard knowing there not going to blow up on you. After 1 1/2 years of Integrale Evo ownership that will be a god send.

I will however be trying to get a good drive in the Teg and Cup just to make sure, so things could still change, as it seems all you need to do with a Cup is take it out and your mind is made up in alot of cases.

Thanks

Old 20 June 2003, 09:23 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rich,

Is that a full road spec new ITR I spy? Have you also driven the bare "race" spec ones that Iain Litchfield supplies?

Matt
Old 20 June 2003, 06:10 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Matt,

It is indeedy supplied by Mr. Litchfield himself. Had a nice little hoon down the M25 and A40 today to some clients, even in Friday rush hour it is fun to drive (or is it just me being a tart enjoying being the centre of attention in a traffic jam...)

I have not seen a standard (i.e. race) spec one yet. Apparently the passengers seat is an optional extra!!

Rich
Old 21 June 2003, 01:20 PM
Kussimurran
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a Cup now, done 11k in it, and bought it after having had an ITR for 27k.

There is nothing in it acceleration-wise, or handling wise, on and off track, but I can safely say the Cup is easier on slow corners than the ITR.

The Honda was much better built, had a great driving position and gear change, and ABS.

Given the choice I would pick the Honda on the basis of its build quality and driving position/gear change, but if you go for a Cup you will not be disappointed. The fuel economy is downright great, even on track, and it goes like stink.

They are both VERY accomplished as driver's cars.
Old 26 June 2003, 02:58 AM
Fatherted
Scooby Newbie

dont tell anyone on cliosport i said this.....but id leave the cup alone......the amount of people on clio sport complaining about problems with them....& dealers are a bunch of usless tw*ts !!
Old 26 June 2003, 08:44 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

hello mr ted :P im telling on you lol
Old 26 June 2003, 10:32 AM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

Thanks for risking your Cliosport membership for those comments Father, If I were you I'd keep a low profile for a couple of weeks before visiting that site again

I have now bought a nice MY00 Teg and will be picking it up tommorow, the decision was made long before the end of the test drive, really impressive, had a few performance cars now but really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of this one

Thanks for all your help chaps
Old 26 June 2003, 10:49 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

ted get your orange wheels back over to cliosport now !!!