Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi TT 180 / 225

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2003, 06:06 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right what people think of these as a car, what running costs like etc??? Posting for a friend, so please comments to yourself about hairdressers car etc.
He's looking to spend £20-22.5k, what sorta spec should be lookin at if he decides to up the budget and get a new one?

Thanks!
Old 08 June 2003, 07:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTI, wrong place to ask !

180 no quicker than my ancient Golf GTI MK2 8 valve, until aeordynamics take over that is, above 85, should imagine it feels slow in such a refined modern car, 225 is a lot quicker and they all can be modded to be properly quick. Nice cars but I found it to be a boring drive compared to a Scoob, think they suit those who value style, image and looks over the driving experience.

I am glad Audi made the bold step to make it and at first it looked like an exotic and still looks good today but I think it is becoming a victim of its own success, living in South Manchester they are fairly numerous and usually Silver or Black. You are less likely to be called a ******** (by 90% of the population) in a TT than a Scoob.

I say go for it, buy new and get an import in the nice non mettalic Blue or Red, the reason everybody went for Silver on the earlier ones was that the colour choice was so crap, sludge green, dour blue or aged Golf MK2 style red, nasty.

Old 08 June 2003, 08:55 PM
mrgtr
Scooby Regular

gaymobile
Old 08 June 2003, 10:52 PM
davy1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ones too expensive and slow,the others is a bit less expensive even slower.
Old 09 June 2003, 09:20 AM
Gren
Scooby Regular

Ah the expected responses to a TT question. Of course all TT owners are gay (how could they not be and drive such a good looking car?) just like all Scooby owners are ....

TT buyers tend to be looking for looks & build quality as well as performance. The latter might not be best in class but you can't have all 3 in a new car for under £30k can you?

Back to the questions. Fairly cheap to run - 30mpg, servicing up to every 19k miles - £350, tyres last about 10-15k and cost about £120 each, low depreciation.

Regarding kit look out for the Bose sound system pretty good and useful when coming to reselling.

Gren
Old 09 June 2003, 12:13 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Wink

To me its all down to looks. You either get it or you don't.

Several other VAG group cars share the same engines and running gear and are a lot cheaper so its looks /pose value only that you are paying for.

OK, I generalise but my 4x4 Skoda is a detuned 180 TT that includes zero pose value as standard. (now with 220bhp though)

Old 09 June 2003, 01:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

TT buyers tend to be looking for looks & build quality as well as performance. The latter might not be best in class but you can't have all 3 in a new car for under £30k can you?
Errmm, yes you can. 350Z, RX8, S2000, Z4, almost a boxster and I'm sure there are many more..
Old 09 June 2003, 02:15 PM
Gren
Scooby Regular

350Z you can't get yet - plasticky inside and the French one I've seen on the road looks a bit boxy - pity 'cos I liked it from the photos

RX8 - not sure like some bits but again you can't get one yet and that low torque figure doesn't sound fun

S2000 - great car but only a 2 seater roadster - no go for many and scary handling stories will put a lot of people off.

Z4 - only just newly available - 3litre not under 30k and its a BMW (will put off some) again roadster only.

Boxster - Great car but far from under £30K - starts at 32 then you look at the options list .....

Competition is increasing but for the job it sets out to do the TT is still the one to beat. But then again its all such a personal thing which is just as well or we'd all be driving the same cars.

Gren
Old 09 June 2003, 03:44 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Golf in drag.......get him to buy a Skoda instead and use the cash saved for performance modifications.

The TT is form over function personified.

Still if he wants the hairdresser image of the TT he should go for it!
Old 06 September 2003, 02:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Hang on! you stated 'looks, build quality and performance'. I just put in others under £30k that have these three qualities.
If we're looking at other factors (engine characteristics, handling, driving dynamics etc.) then the TT really does fall to the wayside. And rx8(& s2000) have less torque but both these engines are FAR more FUN than the TT!!

IMHO - the TT is a nice looking, well built and quick-ish (compared to normal hot hatches but slow compared to what I outlined above) but in this class a lot of people are looking for focused driving machines which the TT is not. If that's not your cup of tea then the TT may be the right car for whoever.

Personally, for me, I like the look of the TT inside and out(esp when it 1st came out) and credit to Audi as it's been a great success and has captured part of the market, but I didn't get one because it's not a pure drivers car and they are far far far far too common.

[Edited by Dracoro - 6/9/2003 2:36:35 PM]
Old 06 September 2003, 09:50 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

J4CKO,
Yeah I'm in south Manchester alot and you do see lots of them!
Have to agree with the Red or Black, I prefer the red, don't like the silver as its quite a dull silver and everyones got it!

He's not gay he just doesn't value the same sort of driving experience as you get from a Scoob, I personally if I could afford it buy a new TT too. He prefers the style and quality - also its all about image with the job he's in!

Thanks guys

[Edited by GTI - 6/9/2003 9:52:52 PM]