Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which estate after bad Audi experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 03:15 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for a replacement second car. We currently have a 1999 T reg 1.9Tdi SE Audi estate. It isn't a bad car and has excellent economy but I have a HUGE problem with Audi customer service and garages. So far I've had; they don't do job they are supposed to, ring and ask about doing jobs that blatantly do not need doing, car delivered minus CD changer and missing parts. Did they put it right? Yes, they sent me the parts in a jiffy bag to fit myself!!!! Just a one off? I've had it less than 12 months and I've tried 4 different Audi garages and they have all been the same so I've had enough.

Anyway, enough ranting, there isn't going to be an Audi on our drive again...ever. So, I want a new estate. Looking for decent economy, good dealers, reliable, fair amount of space (got two bullmastiffs), nice inside. Can spend upto 22k very max but would prefer to spend much less.

Considering:

Forester Turbo
Avensis diesel estate
Legacy estate
330 estate
330d estate
530d estate

Any views if you'd owned any of these welcome.

Cheers,
Chinnybloke

[Edited by chinnybloke - 6/4/2003 3:17:12 PM]
Old 04 June 2003, 03:43 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

An estate you say? Here's 3 you could choose from:

Octavia RS
Octavia 4x4
Octavia 1.9TDI L&K

All under 16,500 new, cheap to run, dealers are seriously good most having been established for at least 15 years. Oh and they're doing 0% finance on all new Octavias 'til they end of the month I think.
Old 04 June 2003, 03:51 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

I know, I know, really good cars now but there is just no way I'm having one.
Old 04 June 2003, 03:54 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL!

At least you are upfront and honest about it. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Old 04 June 2003, 03:57 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

My mum and dad have got 323i and 528i estates respectively. Having driven both I would say BMW's are excellent cars. They arent like a Subaru before everyone starts, but then you had an Audi so I would assume you arent after that. The 5 series obviously has more room - everywhere. The boot is bigger, the driving area is bigger seat, roof etc, and the back is bigger. It is also a nicer drive, especially on the motorways. However, the 3 series is also very good cruising and on A/B roads.

Overall I would choose the 5 series myself, but Im 6"3'.

Both are great cars though.
Old 04 June 2003, 04:12 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I've got a 5 series saloon now and I agree they are really good cars. I do really want a 530d estate but it will be at the very top end of our budget. My Mrs really fancies an Avensis estate. I've got to say value wise they are appealing. We've seen X reg with low miles, sat nav etc for 7 grand! Doesn't seem to bad at all.

Cheers,
CB
Old 04 June 2003, 04:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The BM estates are good cars. I have had a few dealings with BM dealerships and found them to be pretty good on the whole.

The Avensis has to be the most boring looking car on the road at the moment although Toyota cars and dealers are excellent. The Avensis is a car you buy when you retire IMHO

Forrester not much load space handles OK for a 4x4 of that type but not car like

Legacy estate - i am not a big fan of the looks but good cars by all accounts

others to consider, worth a look
Alfa 155 estate - dealers suck though

Honda Accord estate - did a bit of work on the launch of these and they are damn good,. nice looking as well. Dood customer services in my experience. The Honda really is worth a look

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2003, 04:20 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Hadn't thought of that Accord estate. They are nice. Cool advert.

Cheers,
CB
Old 04 June 2003, 04:37 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Have you considerd the Saab 95 range of estates?
My dad went from an 850 R Volvo to a Saab 95 Aero with the HOT turbo and it's brillant. It looks sleek and low but still has huge load lugging capability. I'd reccommend even just taking one for a test drive and don;t let the weird centrally located ignition barrel put you off. I guarantee it'll be the most comfortabole estate you'll drive.

Go on......you know you want to!

James
Old 04 June 2003, 05:26 PM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

I know, I know, really good cars now but there is just no way I'm having one.
Typical Audi poser...

Get yourself an Octavia and de-badge it. Hell, put Audi badges on it if it'll make you feel better - after all, it wouldn't be a lie, since they're pretty much the same once you peel the badges off
Old 04 June 2003, 08:19 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

I was fiddling with the idea of a chipped S4 Avant or 2.5 tdi quattro sport,but instead went for a 330d touring sport !!!!
You will hard pressed to find a sport under 22k at the moment but should be easier to find a normal SE spec.

Top car and i dont regret ownership one bit !!

Darren
Old 04 June 2003, 09:24 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Chinny Bloke.

Are you totally or just partly mad to NOT consider the Skoda ?

My last three cars were:-

00-02: New Audi A4 Avant 2.5 Tdi Quattro (chipped)
02-03: Impreza Turbo Hatch (chipped)
03-: Skoda Octavia 4x4 Estate (chipped to 220bhp)

I'll be honest here. All great cars, seriously, but if you are coming from the position of being 'narked off' with Audi dealers, don't bank on BMW doing much better with your cash.

Audi v Skoda.
- £85+vat per hour labour locally. Skoda £45+vat.
- Both have Audi engines, 4WD etc etc and long life servicing.
- Skoda is more fun to drive than my A4 Q was
- New price. My Audi was £27k new list. The Skoda £16k list.
- Inverted snobbery and shock value - priceless.

Old 04 June 2003, 11:26 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Maybe it is snobbery or whatever, I'm just not having a Skoda. It is the history I suppose. If they had relaunched as something else maybe I would test drive one, but as it is I won't. At least I am honest.

BM's I've had 3 in last 2 years and I know not all dealers are good. My experiences with Sytner in Leicester though are very good. Did have a problem with Damon Hill in Leamington (went in because it cut out and I was then told I couldn't have it back because it was "illegal to drive without a rear view mirror" - some git had swiped it!). The Audi is a great car and I'm sure other people have no problems with Audi dealers but my experiences of the four I've tried mean I just can't be bothered with them, my Audi problems include:

- When I bought it and went to pick it up I was told it was ready. Got there and it blantantly was not ready and it had not even been MOTd.
- They delivered it the next day 4 hours late after I was promised it would be there within 30 minutes
- When I got it the cd changer was missing
- Rear wash wipe parts were missing which they then sent to me in a jiffy bag to fit myself
- It was apparently serviced as part of purchase price then 1500 miles after getting it service light was flashing
- I was then told the car did not even exist and the dealer I bought it from had never sold or serviced it because someone entered wrong reg onto a system call "dialogue"
- I had to sort that out with Audi customer services because the dealer did F all
- Took it to dealer in Leicester because handling was off. Told after 2 days rear shock needed replacing. They said it was ready, went to pick it up to be told "sorry, you have to fit rear shocks in pairs and we only ordered one". I got it back 2 days later.
- Went to another dealer with knocking noise. Ended up having new brake discs and pads because they were worn out apparently. They "fixed" knocking which was due to exhaust being loose. Only they hadn't, it still had the same fault
- Car went back 3 times and ended up going out with service manager who then heard knocking and said he could actually feel it through one of the engine support bars. He had no idea what it was but did admit it wasnt normal. He contacted Audi and they didn't know what it was either so they couldn't do anything
- Now on Monday of this week it has had a service and they called because I need new brake pads and discs all round. Hmmm, they were only done 10k miles ago so I don't think they all need replacing again

Endless problems and cr*p service in my experience. I know it wont be the norm and I'm sure some people have had bad BM experiences but so far, fingers crossed BM for me have been excellent but Audi haven't.

I'm quite keen on the Saab suggestion after looking on there site.

[Edited by chinnybloke - 6/4/2003 11:34:51 PM]
Old 04 June 2003, 11:28 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Darren,

Did you go for manual or auto and what sort of MPG are you getting in real world usage?

Cheers,
CB
Old 05 June 2003, 11:45 AM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

And you didn't involve Trading Standards for what reason?
Old 05 June 2003, 12:50 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Could they do anything? Isn't it just crap service which unfortunately isn't illegal.

Off to look at a Saab now....
Old 05 June 2003, 03:16 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

For more advice / info on Saabs, check out http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Excellent cars!
Old 05 June 2003, 03:53 PM
Witchfinder
Scooby Regular

Could they do anything? Isn't it just crap service which unfortunately isn't illegal.
Selling you a car which is missing parts that were agreed to be part of the sale (ie: the CD autochanger)? Doing repairs that are unnecessary and do not remedy the symptoms (the knocking sounds you described and trying to tell you to replace brakes that have recently been replaced)?

Sounds pretty illegal to me. In fact, Trading Standards come down on scum like that like a ton of bricks.
Old 05 June 2003, 07:58 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Off to look at a Saab now....
How did it go? Which model / engine did you look at? Test drive?

I can't afford a new Saab, but must admit the RS Octavia looks mighty attractive for the money!
Old 05 June 2003, 10:08 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Went out in a 2000 X reg 95 Aero Hot 2.3 turbo. Was very, very nice. 40k miles but they want £16,450 for it. If it was closer to 15k I think it would be a good buy.

Overall impression:
- Seats were very nice
- Steering wheel felt a little too big
- The doors are quite a way from the edge of the seat. I am used to resting my elbows on the door but it felt awkward in this as it was too far away
- It wasn't as fast as I expected
- Clutch was extremely light

Overall really impressed.

Old 05 June 2003, 11:41 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Chinnybloke...........I have kept up with a V6 Vecta before!!!!

The manual which i have returns 42 around town and 50 on a run !!!!!!!

Happy Days

!!!!!!!

Dal