Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Volvo T5 estates

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 03:23 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about one to take me and themissus Windsurfing / jetskiing. Anyone here owned one? Is the V70 worth the extra readies over the 850?
Old 07 May 2003, 03:34 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not owned one but driven both and know people that have owned 'em.

Great cars for load-lugging purposes and very quick. Also very comfortable, great seats. Traction control is your right foot, so tyres can get expensive

The V70 had lots of detail refinements over the 850, especially in handling & suspension but a well-looked-after 850 is still a hell of a lot of car and very useable.

Strong motors and drivetrains, most tend not to be tweaked / messed with so just do usual checks for oil smoke / steam. Turbos are watercooled and pretty long-lived. 150,000+ miles easy.

They respond very well to simple tweaking: Kalmar Union in London has a range of upgrades, including a tailored bleed valve which will not give a fuel cut, no matter how far you unscrew
Old 07 May 2003, 03:44 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate

Will try to avoid tuning it, but will probably succumb!
Old 07 May 2003, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had one for four years, superb car, L reg never had any problems that are worth mentioning. Go for it, even the Tyres are cheap nowadays, about 24 mpg in daily use and as quick once rolling as a UK turbo.
Old 08 May 2003, 07:40 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Forgot to add that they don't handle badly at all. They're actually quite pointy, don't wallow or flop about all over the place.

Don't expect much in the way of pedal feel though
Old 05 October 2003, 11:26 PM
ruminator
Scooby Regular

Just traded in my MY99 UK 5door for a V70 T5 SE on a 52 plate.
V happy with it, but only had it 2 weeks. Got it because I needed more space (second child due!).

Tons of room and Im sure its faster than the scooby (once up and rolling!!). In fact I was surprised just how hard it pulled on the test drive, which is why I bought.

V70 also comes with DSTC (volvos stability and traction control) 260 bhp through the front wheels can be a bit loud !! You also get leather, climate, dolby and all sorts of other bits as standard which helps eith the feeling that you have been "assimilated" !

Can quite happily have a conversation in relative quiet at 100 with the cruise on.

Will quite simply not go round corners like a scooby full stop, but it is twice the size. Of course if your coming from scooby ownership you have been spoiled. But brickboy is correct, it dosnt wallow or lean as you would expect, again another suprise. It handles much better than I expected.

Im getting 25 mpg according to the trip computer over the last week, but I have been giving it a bit.

The build, fit, finish and overall standard of panels and trim are light years ahead of my old scooby in my opinion.

Beware......... within 2 days the calls started
"Could you just move this ? I need to pick up this !!"

Just remember, its a fast car, not a race car, remember why you bought it, for me room. But you can still shock quite alot of people, especially on the motorway. Ive had quite alot of "Bloody Hell that Catholic Wagon picks up quicker than I thought !!!" looks from people.

I like it......... Lots.

Rumy

[Edited by ruminator - 5/10/2003 11:37:00 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 09:14 AM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When I bumped the scoob I bought a N plate 850 T5 to get me around. Paid £3000 with 120,000 miles on the clock. The idea was to get rid when I got the wrx back, but 8 months later I've still got it! Now use the volvo for work (60,000 pa)and the scoob for fun at the weekends. The T5 now has 145,000 miles on the clock and there is no sign of any faults in the engine, drivetrain, etc.

A lot of car for not a lot of dosh.

Also very good for merging into traffic, not many people in their shiny cars want to take on the tank like volvo 850!

Paul

[Edited by Pitch Black - 5/12/2003 9:15:45 AM]