Supra TT or R33 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 03:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

UPDATE

I've driven both cars this morning (both standard).

SUPRA ALL THE WAY

The way it piled the speed on, driving position, sound, looked great - totally blitzed the Skyline. It was awesome!! Felt much more special than the Skyline, which just felt llike a bigger version of my old Impreza, and not much quicker either, where the supra did feel much quicker The Supra gave me the wow factor from behind the wheel I got when I first drove and bought my Impreza, the Skyline didn't.

Fantastic - right, hope to get one in about a month or so

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 5/3/2003 3:35:16 PM]
Old 05 April 2003, 06:27 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
such a shame you just read books and ignore the facts. There have been no problems with RLTC and the mkiv supra. From the 300bhp stock cars up to the 700bhp hks twins it has kept the car under control and never caused a problem 'further up the range'.
###
If you say so...
###
Perhaps if you know different you can post the proof. Its like me trying to tell you that the soarer has an inherent design fault in the engine (when infact the fault lies with the old gits behind the wheel)...I dont know the soarer and you dont know the supra.
###
If you say so...
###
When you drive a supra day to day for a couple of years and slowly modify it putting various tuning parts on you can have an opinion, but as you havent even come close to doing that then perhaps its time you took your head out of your 4rse and tried it in a bucket of sand.
###
I wouldn't drive one everyday, they are too faulted in their dynamics and I tend to avoid Rice-mobiles... someone might think I was dumb enough to actually own one... and that's a real NO-NO...

[Edited by Mycroft - 5/4/2003 7:48:35 PM]
Old 24 April 2003, 03:53 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Question

Which one would you choose then and why? Impressions on both?

Ta
Neil.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:28 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nissan - no question whatsoever. 4wd is my preferance and they are a newer car, technology wise. Also very much respect to say you own a skyline. Both tough engines and VERY tuneable. R33 wins on looks also IMHO.

MB
Old 24 April 2003, 05:34 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

have to be 2wd, none of this car drives you business, rwd is much more fun and more of a drivers car
Old 24 April 2003, 05:38 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Driven both... GTR... clear winner in my books... look at this car... truly utterly astonishingly gorgeous...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7695
Old 24 April 2003, 07:10 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Keep em coming chaps - cheers for the answers so far.

Its very close at the mo between the 2. Both similarly tuneable, just different drivetrains. It will be used for commuting 30 miles a day too so thats a factor - not on motorways either.

I like the look of both cars, Supra would be looking at a Veilside kitted - or something similar a bit less wild , eg skirts and different front end, most likely an Aerotop for a removable roof as they look the bee's. Or theres the R33, which would be pretty stock, maybe few trick mods depending on whats available. Think the Supra just wins on the interior, but external I can't decide! Anyones experiences in either welcomed!

Mycroft - that truely is a stunning looking GTR - seen it before

I'm looking at importing one or the other from Japan, with a limit of around 15k............
Old 24 April 2003, 07:11 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Also to mention that either RWD or AWD doesn't really matter either - as both have there merits!
Old 24 April 2003, 07:27 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

You could of course go for a Soarer... built as a Lexus... same shape as GTR but available as an Auto and discrete and faster point to point than the Supra!

They look like this...

http://toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=709

Old 24 April 2003, 11:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Smile

No offence mate - but the soarer just doesn't do it for me!
Old 25 April 2003, 08:34 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Thats cool...
Old 25 April 2003, 09:45 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Id be keen to try both, never even sat in one. Just think the skyline has the edge, however the Supra is cheaper and you would have change to rude it up Good R33's are about 16k+ from when I looked at them.

Brain dump: I like gizmo's so the Skyline still wins. Think of all the computers! Both are pretty big cars too. Think the women would prefer the Supra... It is wet a lot of the time here so you would have to be V careful putting the power down in the Supra. Running cots must be similar, and insurance? I would deffo consider a Supra as they are oming down in price. Try NewEra as they have a few normally.

MB
Old 25 April 2003, 09:48 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. Tough one. I would say R33 meself, just prefer the looks, the 4wd and the gadgets.

But then what do i know, i drive a Clio.

Dave
Old 25 April 2003, 10:07 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Get an R33 GTR......i did , its the daddy.

Pics of mine and my mates car ...go here

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9723

[Edited by Shaolin - 4/25/2003 10:10:20 AM]
Old 25 April 2003, 10:15 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

R33 GTR wins no contest. I have driven a Supra and they're just plain numb. The traction control is stupid and a waste of time. You feel like you are sat over the back wheels pointing a 100ft bonnet down the road. The Supra is rear wheel drive the R33 is four wheel drive, but with a difference as it is only four wheel drive when it needs to be. For the most part it is a rear wheel drive car. When cornering however, it will shift some of that power to the front to "drag" you through. This system does still allow tail out action though (speaks from personal scary moment experiecnce). I would go with the R333GTR or if you want something a bit lighter but with the same engine the R32GTR.

Oh by the way I have an R32GTR (400bhp)
Old 25 April 2003, 10:20 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Supra Everytime....

...you wear your chestwig

Seriously though, I've driven both and much prefer the skyline.

Both have decent engines and are very strong - The Skyline loves to Rev and is RWD until the Rear wheels start to slip, then some power is transfered to the front! This works extremely well making it feel more like a RWD car with a huge amount of grip rather than a 4WD car.

As for all the computers etc, a Skyline certainly doesn't feel like it drives itself and takes some learning to get places quickly, but once you've got the hang, its certainly much faster than anything else I've tried!
Old 25 April 2003, 11:26 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MB - Racelogic would be fitted if I got a supra, so hopefully that would help the traction issue! I've already pretty much decided to source either one through NewEra too Insurance wise just guide prices, Tesco do a Uk Supra for 736 or import for 1487 where direct line will cover an import supra for 1100 quid. The GTR is coming out at 1500 from either.......

Dave - still can't believe how many tyres you've got through on that Clio!!

Shaolin - Look very nice indeed

Chaz - LOL at the Supra's bonnet! It would have to be the R33, know the R32 is real good but I couldn't live with the dated looks

polarbearit - LOL @ the chestwig! Have you tried both commuting or just one - guess there'd be no real difference....

Hopefully gonna go to a garage on sun that have a supra but they only have an R33 GT(S or T?) to compare with, though looks wise it has a GTR bodykit I think. Seeing both in the flesh might help on decided from a looks point of view, then a drive will be in order!

Anymore thoughts?

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 4/25/2003 11:26:59 AM]
Old 25 April 2003, 11:42 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've only owned the GTR - and in 8months have done 24k in mine including 20k commuting miles and 4k fun miles... The GTR has been excellent for me and I've covered the miles in an accident free manner at a substantial speed - I really don't think any other car would have managed the combination!

A friend of mine has a Supra he uses daily and he's certainly had lots of 'moments'... But only bent his supra once in the year!
Old 26 April 2003, 12:40 PM
Trick
Scooby Regular

I would always choose the Skyline - as its something ive always wanted ever since I saw one on a rolling road screaming its nads off..

1000bhp i think...woohoo..lavly jubbly
Old 26 April 2003, 12:46 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

The Skyline is a god of a car no question about that...But the interior.
Ugh.
Old 26 April 2003, 02:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

SKYLINE!

Supra is a good car but the Skyline wins for me

And i wanna go when you get it!

Paul
Old 27 April 2003, 12:41 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I must say, i've gone from leaning towards the Supra to leaning towards the Skyline - looks great too, and the performance But yeah - the interior is a bit Should be able to source a V-Spec GTR from Japan with a few choice mods for around 15k.

Paul - I'm sure we'll be able to sort something out mate
Old 27 April 2003, 03:29 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Went to a garage today to have a look at both - closed so no drive, but even so, got to have a good gander!

The Supra was Veilside kitted - it looked awesome , but a little too wide boy for my liking and would be a nightmare to clean and keep clean! It was a proper Veilside conversion, riveted arches, spoiler, bumper, skirts etc, veilside gauges and steering wheel etc! Inside it was very nice, but the rear seats are a joke - don't know why they put them in - just adds weight!

The Skyline looked subtle next to the Supe, but still very captivating! They had a black and silver - looked much better in silver IMHO, black didn't seem to do it justice. The interior though was sooooooo black plasticy - typical jap I suppose - the RX7's they had there were quite similar like that too. The Skyline has a much more useable rear seating area though.

The Supe I think had the edge on the interior without a doubt - except those back seats, need to see a more stock example now - probably pop down to JIC in a week or so.
Thoughts at the moment was that the Skyline seemed to be the more practical of the 2 (LMAO @ cars of this type being practical but hey!) and that I would have to factor in another 600-700 on top of the supe price to add Racelogic. As for which would be the better commuter - have to drive them both first to see, the supe would be an auto - much better for the stop start traffic, but we'll see!
Old 27 April 2003, 06:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Neil, like the scoob, EVO, early Ferarris, pre 90's 911, 944's, etc you do not buy it for the interior, its the exterior, technology, pedigree and the oily bits that count. Even so the interior will be well put together and last.

I like the supra but it is a bit wide boy (even in std trim) for me - the Skyline has more 'presence' all round and is the daddy of rice rockets.

Go on you know it makes sense.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 4/27/2003 6:21:13 PM]
Old 28 April 2003, 11:54 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I'll drive them both and see which I prefer, I'll be spending a couple of hours a day behind the wheel so the one which is best to drive will get it!
Old 28 April 2003, 12:21 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Will be interested in the findings

MB
Old 28 April 2003, 01:19 PM
BBSparkys_Cupra
Scooby Regular

If it helps i recently bought a black supra from JIC. i coummute about 80 miles a day ( half dual carriage way and half country lanes ) in it at the moment and havent had any problems so far ( apart from large petrol bill ) always loved the skyline but went for the supra as i think its a bit more subtle in standard trim.

Like you already know its just a case of trying both i guess. Let us know when you go to JIC and i may pop along as only 10 mins away and need to book service soon anyhow
Old 28 April 2003, 03:10 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

DBM - I'll post em up when done

Cupra - I'll most likely pop down to JIC sometime in the next couple of weeks - unless I find a dealer nearer with one to try out! as its a bit of a trek to JIC just for a test drive lol!
Old 30 April 2003, 01:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lok Neil, i do not want to get pusshy but will you just get on with it and buy a Skyline!
Old 30 April 2003, 01:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

BTW - Hope i did not offend anyone re my Supra remarks, i must be getting old!

Quick Reply: Supra TT or R33 GTR