Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2003, 08:14 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Ive got the chance of getting a 1996 supra UK version(326HP)auto for about £10K-its got 110K miles on it with a full toyota history and is supposed to be in virtually mint condition.

Is this a good price+ is there anything i should look out for?

thanks in advance for any help
Old 19 April 2003, 09:11 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good price alot of mileage do get it checked out mate
Old 19 April 2003, 10:00 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

DON'T!!!!

Go to the www.mkivsupra.net, some good people there that will help you.
Old 20 April 2003, 08:53 AM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

My mate bought a manual UK Twin Turbo in Black with tan leather about a month ago with 98k on the clock an full Toyota History he paid 11k for it.

Matt
Old 20 April 2003, 01:36 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive just been to look at it,i was very impressed with it but it didnt seem to have the same "kick" when the turbo's came on song as what my Impreza (MY98 UK with Dawes device)does-is this due to it being an auto and being more refined/smoother than what im used to?????
Anyone noticed the same thing?????
Old 20 April 2003, 04:26 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

have a look on autotrader there r loads around 10k with much better milage (older & younger not far off £10k). There's plenty 2 choose from if yer lookin auto, manuals r rare as the ole rocking horse poo & cost much more The internals r bleedin strong thou hence y they mod so well so if it has bin well looked after then 110k miles shouldn't b a problem but IMO there's more tempting offers than that initially sounds
Dont let the muppets put u off thou it is an almighty car but check out earlier posted web site as they will b more helpful but i'd look at getting a better traction control than standrad fitted
Si
Old 20 April 2003, 05:26 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

REAL INFO.

3ltr Twin-turbo the motor is a 'stroked version of that found in my car it is a lazy motor and very suited to producing torque, it has no snap because there is too much mass in the engine to make each 1000rpm increment race by...
6 speed box same as in the R34 Skyline and damned fine if a little notchy...
Auto'box Type A34*E series, best mid-size auto'box in the World, it is basically faultless, even in the rather odd manual type operation on the Supra it still shines...
The twin turbos are sequential, which was designed by Yamaha and adapted for the Supra, it is fine but a bloody pain as there are a dozen? or so pipes any one of which if it comes off or loses air will screw the system and you run with a 'dead-leg'. Also it is responsible for so many drivers ditching or twitching the Soop on the road... if slightly faulty the seq. system will make the power come in rather jittery...
They have a Torsen Diff and wrong sized tyres at the rear to get them to tame the Torsen fishtail effect, ditch the 255/40 get some 285/35s' no more ditch moments!...
If buying a UK, then you have big brakes, these brakes are better than those on a C2/C4 Porsche, if you buy J-spec then you can go for UK type...
The are a fast Hatchback but are now looking a bit long in the tooth and tired overall but still a good car, though no longer great...

In all honesty, you would be better off getting one from Japan at a good price, fitting UK brakes and some new suspension bushes and a torque generating exhaust (forget noise and rumble that is for *******)... get some cold air induction and those tyres and you will be laughing like a drain.

Oh try not to turn into a 'Supra man', the car is rapidly getting the reputation as the carriage of choice for the stunted dwarf type of guy... add up all the numbers on the soles of his shoes and you have twice his IQ... you know what I mean... another thing... avoid Black/Silver/Brown...
Old 21 April 2003, 09:55 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pass the medallion

MB
Old 21 April 2003, 11:29 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hahahahaha

Actually they do [for the most part] fit into 2 categories...

As you infer, medallion wearers with optional beer gut... they being so ugly themselves think that owning a 'supercar' will show them off in a good light... they are for the most part blissfully unaware that the Supra MKIV looks like a full cholostomy bag... with wings!!!

The other owner is even funnier... imagine the scene... you are at a 'meet' and you hear in the distance the deep manly rumble of a 400hp Straight 6, it is an awesome sound, this is gonna be good... it is drumming a storm on the road, the rumble heaves your chest and the monster enters your vision... this is goona be good... the gear change happens and the burst of noise curdles the air and you know... this is gonna be good... you are now thinking... Hulk Hogan of the Jap Car World bursting in to your scene... and you think WOW! THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD!!! The car stops and out from the drivers side steps.......
The scrawniest looking 5'2" computer geek you have ever seen in your life, worse still he looks like a paedophile in those National Health glasses! How this scrawny little fvcker even changes gear confounds you!... you p!ss your pants...

There are a few owners that bridge this gap and have their feet firmly planted in both camps...

That 'Bald Viking Reject' known as Hulk Hogan owns one... so you have the epitome of an ugly pumped up medallion wearing oaf, who for a living wage ponces around in a leotard pretending to beat up other ******* also wearing gay accoutrements.

I have to tell you honestly that there is at least one 'Hulk Hogan' look-a-like that owns a Supra in this Country...

Buy a Supra and join this illustrious roll-call!

Old 21 April 2003, 11:43 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

PMSL u have a way with words
Si
Old 21 April 2003, 12:05 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

Best option is to first ignore anything Mycroft comes up with. We banned him from our BBS as he was making statements he was never willing to back up. Same has been seen on this BBS I believe, lots of questions...so few answers.

The mkiv supra engine can be easily tuned to provide a seriously quick car (Mycroft will proceed to waffle about the soarer being quicker...again no proof in the UK). UK spec cars deliver power in a totally different way to imports but the end result is the same. I had an import and sold it for a UK spec as the insurance is half the price and it came with bigger brakes, bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump as standard. I had tuned my import as far as I wanted to without doing those same upgrades so a swap to a UK spec made sense.

I would quite happily buy an import or a UK spec, both are great cars.

Just for info, I ran a 12.9 at 113mph at Santa Pod with just a decat and exhaust so they are easily tuned.

JB

www.mkivsupra.net
Old 21 April 2003, 12:33 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Congratulations John on the full recovery from your recent operation... as we can all see, it was a total success, John has now not even the smallest trace of a sense of humour.

Bet you're pleased that finally you are totally humourless.

###
We banned him from our BBS as he was making statements he was never willing to back up. Same has been seen on this BBS I believe, lots of questions...so few answers.
###

Right!... banned for asking questions on a Bulletin Board, I'm a real fvcking sinner... I think 99.5% of this board would get banned for that... you are 'full of' mate... you are supposed to drive the cholostomy bag... not strive to be one!

John, you could do us all a favour and take Salt/Pepper/Vinegar back with you... thanks.

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/21/2003 12:56:39 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 01:26 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

lol, another [edit] by Mycroft. You really cant get a single post right without going back to edit it.

Shame you only seem to be able to read and quote from books and not from what people post. I said

##
Same has been seen on this BBS I believe, lots of questions...so few answers.
##

Which clearly states its THIS BBS where you ask many questions but provide very few answers.

Remember how you forwarded to me all those abusive mails from a hotmail account which had nothing to do with me whatsoever, and you said I have to stop it or you will contact my host (which in itself is hilarious, see I do have a sense of humour), well Im sure your endearing approach to people on this BBS will ensure the abusive hotmails keep on coming.

JB
Old 21 April 2003, 01:50 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

I thought you had the MKIV site to vent your cholostomy bag...

You also posted:-
''Best option is to first ignore anything Mycroft comes up with.''

So tell me, did I post anything incorrect in my 'Real Info' text?

[Edited 'cos it annoys']

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/21/2003 1:51:32 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 01:55 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I can spot at least 2
Old 21 April 2003, 02:07 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Post them up Moose! [Had another look... all correct]

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/21/2003 2:09:13 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 02:11 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Look again...

I've no doubt you'd debate 1, but it is certainly incorrect as it stands

The other is incorrect.
Old 21 April 2003, 02:26 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

So I have, and nothing is wrong... I am genuinely intrigued now... if you are joking, then that is cool... and I'll laugh along, but what I have said is correct...
Old 21 April 2003, 02:31 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

You need to look elsewhere for my 'answer'....
Old 21 April 2003, 04:02 PM
Riprock
Scooby Regular

tut....he didint edit hes last message ....i feel all let down now
Old 21 April 2003, 08:28 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I have removed some posts wheich were unconstructive to the thread originators question.

Can we please not resort to name calling etc...

Ian
Old 21 April 2003, 08:41 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

thats the problem though, you post some useful information in a sea of drivel.

I would disagree with the lack of 'snap' statement. Saw a 2.5tt mkiii with hybrids run at Pod a couple of weeks ago and he was high 14s running 2.4 and above 60ft. Not that snappy.

The mkiv is a stroked version of the 2.5, but the sequential system works so well that the combined response still kills most things out there. The transition to both turbos does present a serious kick on modified cars, on stock cars its hardly noticeable. I ran my import for 2 years straight, day to day driver at 1.3 to 1.4bar so the kick was crazy, but I never stacked it and there are many others who have done the same. Sticking 285s on the rear might fix the twitchyness (but I doubt it on a modified mkiv), but it certainly wont help the handling if the 235s are still on the front.

As I said, best to ignore what Mycroft says and listen to real world experiences from people who actually own a supra and not a car designed to give old codgers their jollies.

JB
Old 21 April 2003, 09:18 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 1JZ in the MKIII was a transition car it has the old compromsed suspension and so was not allowed to take-off like a scalded cat... fact.

As I said it works well when all works perfectly, the system is old now and all the Valves are leaking to some extent after 3/4 years. [for those not in the know the seq system has asome complex valves in the air flow to make the system work, they have a hard life and die slowly, sapping the power]

The 255 on 9½" rims [240mm] means the rubber is not very cushioning to the Torsen diff, it doesn't matter about the front, the rear is the killer, so by improving the tyre/rim width ratio back to something more reasonable the car behaves itself.

Despite owning these cars for a number of years you still need to be shown the basics of handling dynamics... foolish boy!

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/21/2003 9:20:14 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 09:18 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Red face

While were on the subject, check this crazy jap bloke racing against one without even wearing a helmet at some crazy speeds

Supra V's Mclaren F1

http://www.toyotasupra.ch/videos/realmedia/supra_vs_mclaren_f1.rm

V's an F40

http://www.toyotasupra.ch/videos/realmedia/veilsidevsF40.rm
Old 21 April 2003, 09:26 PM
churchwa
Scooby Regular

Mycroft, Will you post a picture of yourself? Which catagory do Lex (Toyota) owners fall into?
Old 21 April 2003, 09:27 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
Mycroft, Will you post a picture of yourself?
###

Are you some kind of perv?
Old 21 April 2003, 09:40 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

lol there's no accounting 4 taste & fetishists is there lmao
Si
Old 21 April 2003, 09:59 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Hey Bonkers, still digesting the torsen thing... wanna run what I have said past the 'illustrious' chassis guys here... you have a wealth of intellect here... Webby claims a lot and the felsted guy is a genius by all accounts and their gofer Pavlo is ... well... a gofer!

So to summarise a simple question, Why does the Torsen diff, need a wide tyre to rim ratio on English A roads?

I guarantee you don't know why... I will give £100 to charity if YOU and YOU ALONE can answer correctly the thing that has ditched so many Supra owners and lost them their cars... feelin' lucky punk?, go on, make my day!... hahahaha

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/21/2003 10:03:16 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 10:22 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

lol, funnily enough I wasnt digesting your post, I was off having a life. You really must spend a lot of time infront of your machine, t-shirt tucked up under your chin.

righto, so just change to a 285 rear, leave the 235 up front and let it handle like a dog, but at least it doesnt kick out, just understeers you off the road. I dont confess to try and explain a torsen diff and how tyres will make a difference. But then I bet you can, theres been a few books about it.

Things do get old on cars, which is why they are serviced. The sequential system is complicated but then thats why the supras are tuned and serviced by people who do more than just read about cars.

Im afraid to say you still bore me, so as with the pointless TIF I wont be replying to your posts.

JB

ps - I think you splattered on the keyboard a bit, just wipe it off with your t-shirt, theres a good chap.
Old 21 April 2003, 10:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

MB

Quick Reply: Supra twin turbo