TVR...sort it oooooout!

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 01:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a car that is:

soft top but doesnt scuttle shake- goodbye C70, BMW 3 series, SAAB 93, etc

looks cool but not just to 12 year olds- goodbye jap stuff (sorry folks!)

is fast and sounds good and big enough for me to fit in (6'6)

hello...TVR

what a pity i am not likley to get 12,000 miles a year out of it for work without something falling off.

if TVR sorted out the niggles.......i'd buy one!

T

ps- may buy one anyway but pity i'll need a 2k mondeo i the garage for when TVR wont work!

Old 06 April 2003, 01:42 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

how much you got to spend?
Old 06 April 2003, 02:05 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

I know five people with TVR's. Every single person has a 2nd car for when his TVR goes wrong. The TVR's are all older models (two wedge's, one Griffith, two Cerbera's) so I don't know what the newer stuff is like but TVR's own engines are supposed to be even more fragile ?
Old 06 April 2003, 02:33 PM
Huck_B
Scooby Newbie

brother's tvr was always going in for something or the other, usually trim/electrical. very expensive venture, although it must be said he never regretted it.

ran a totally reliable - thankfully - renault 19 for when the tvr was being seen to.
Old 06 April 2003, 02:35 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

200mph performance and quicker than a 911 Turbo and half the cost. Thats why people buy them .
Old 06 April 2003, 03:23 PM
taylor
Scooby Regular

If TVR's build quality was up there with the Germans, would you still be in the price bracket to buy one? Probably not.

The only reason us mortals can consider them is bacause they are cheap!

They look better, sound better and go better than a Porsche, for a fraction of the price. If you can't live with that then you'd best save your pennies.
Old 06 April 2003, 03:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

agree with the above...hence i'll buy one! still pity it's an iffy venture though!
Old 06 April 2003, 03:54 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Get it properly inspected (for relatively little cost). Reckon on seeing a few and having them inspected. Say budget £1000 for inspections at £200 a shot. Get a good one, keep it well maintained and it 'should' be reasonable reliable for a TVR. If you don't get it checked then you increase the risk more.

Set a budget of £2/3k a year for maintenance and servicing. Any left over, put it into next years account. Hopefully when you come to sell & it's been reliable, you'll have a nice little nest egg.

I can't really afford £2/3k a year so I got an S2000 instead and will get a TVR, maybe, later on when money is better.
Old 06 April 2003, 03:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i looked at the honda but it was to small for me with no head room at all...also sounds a bit bland....my wife saw one and said "ohh, its a mazda"
Old 06 April 2003, 04:14 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

This months EVO has a 200MPH shootout, the Tuscan S had so much vibration they had to give up at 180, when they tried this last year the front splitter broke at 165.

Still have one though
Old 06 April 2003, 06:45 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Hi guys....

Maybe im in a minority on this thread but I happen to own a TVR. I've had the same one for the last 7 years and she has only let me down once. How many other 12 year old cars are there out there which can say the same thing. They are not all dogs so my advice to you is, get your wallet out, buy one and you will not stop grinning for a long long time. I remeber a quote where a guy said he felt more of a buzz sitting in his garage in his 1965 Griffth then he did flat out round the Daytona curve on his racing bike (not the pedal variety either haha). I would have to agree there is something about them, they are almost intoxicating.

All good things have to come to an end though and mine is going to have to make way for the brand new STI8 currently waiting in a dealership waiting for me to pick it up.

BUY ONE though fella you wont regret it

Gary
Old 06 April 2003, 07:08 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Good enough for me...sold! TVR ownership here i come!

I have to admit on the test drive i did get more looks of admiration than i got when i was driving my MY01 wagon.

T
Old 06 April 2003, 10:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

TVR now do an A-frame conversion to allow you to carry a Smart car around too.
Old 07 April 2003, 01:34 PM
jasontaylor
Scooby Regular

I remeber a quote where a guy said he felt more of a buzz sitting in his garage in his 1965 Griffth then he did flat out round the Daytona curve on his racing bike (not the pedal variety either haha). I would have to agree there is something about them, they are almost intoxicating.
I saw this on Top Gear GTi and what the guy actually said was be felt safer flat out round dayton than sitting in his '65 Griff in his garage.
Old 07 April 2003, 02:09 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Jason,

I think your right with your quote but i think the end result is the same thing. Who the hell wants everything to be safe and boring. TVR's give you the ultimate driving experience with that bit of unpredictability as well. Maybe i am just biased but I think you only need to drive one and you will be smitten

Gary
Old 07 April 2003, 02:25 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

I went out in an S2000 on Saturday........blimey I take all I have said back, well most anyway I still think my Corrado is quicker

However with the roof down it did look quite good I have to admitt, kinda like a MX-5 on steroids

It was a part-ex a mate took in and he took me for a spin. I didn't think much of it until around 5000 revs or something like that and then wow. It was spine tingling that noise almost like a bike

Everyone was looking at us in it??? like we were in a Ferrari or something not a Honda

I'll gudgingly admit not a bad car all in all
Old 07 April 2003, 03:31 PM
Huck_B
Scooby Newbie

my brother would back up what gary has said. although he didn't have the reliability, he still pines for his tvr days.

he used to say that just getting into the car was an event.
Old 07 April 2003, 04:21 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

he used to say that just getting into the car was an event
Is that because the seats were wet from a leaking roof ?

Great cars no doubt. Tiggs, you've probably spotted it already but pistonheads.com is a top place to learn about TVR's
Old 07 April 2003, 04:23 PM
Huck_B
Scooby Newbie

lol!

a poorly fitting hood was just one of the numerous problems he had.
Old 07 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, I'm now a year into TVR ownership - drove it every day from last Feb till this November - never had any problems until my alternator went (could and does happen to any car)

Meanwhile my Scoob just sat there looking forlorn - friends would ask how I could leave a Scoob sitting there for 8 months without wanting to drive it but the Griff (500) was reliable, quick, looks and sounds gorgeous etc etc

Got the Scoob out for the winter, new hybrid turbo, re-map, BANG - 1 new engine (and thousands of pounds) later I have it back but of course its sunny again now so...... TVR weather

Get a good one, get it serviced when you should and look after it - It will bring a huge smile to your face every time you fire it up!