Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New shape MX5, any owners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 10:57 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The girlfiend is looking to buy one, will probably be a W reg 1.8 or thereabouts.

I would like some owners experiences of them, for example:

Road noise on the motorway, intrusive with the hood up? Is it quieter with the hard top?
How easy is it to put the hard top on?

Any common faults? Are there any particular things I should look out for when viewing one?

How do you tell the differences between a jap / EU / UK car?

Many thanks

Justin
Old 31 March 2003, 11:41 AM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Ex owner here, a Japanese import 1.8is. Great little cars, would have another tomorrow.

Jap import 1.8 Mk2 cars were badged Mazda Roadsters, and generally came with better kit, such as Bilsteins, LSD, Bose system, nicer 911 style seats and 6 speed 'box. I would probably go for a UK car though: the standard suspension seemed better suited to UK roads, and a 5 speeder is less frantic.

IMHO the hard top is only useful to keep the vandals at bay. My car was totally leakproof, well insulated and quiet. Glass rear screen a real bonus.

Never found motorway noise a problem top up or down, although the Bose system helped. Drove with the top down as much as possible. Tried it on a sub zero icy night once, even then with the blast furnace heater on full chat and a hat on it was fine.

Overall, very very little to criticise. Throw in sensible insurance, 30mpg and glacial depreciation, reliability, quality and a massive grin factor, and you can't go wrong.
Old 31 March 2003, 11:53 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Do you get the glass rear screen with UK cars?

Old 31 March 2003, 12:39 PM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

We've got a MK 2.5 1.8 Sport which has all the kit on it, leather, heated seats cd player etc.

Its a brilliant car to drive, really fun to chuck about and got about the right sort of power for a car of its size and weight.

The MK2.5 car has a heated glass rear window.

Steve
Old 31 March 2003, 12:46 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

A lunchtime of research has got me up to speed a bit! Mk 2.5 I assume is 98 - 2001. it seems the 'S' is the one to go for, I don't think we can live without central locking!

It seems the owners club site is down at the moment, any links to other MX5 sites?

Justin

Old 31 March 2003, 01:07 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Mine was an early Mk2 car, 98R. It had the heated glass rear screen, and I presume that all Mk2 shape cars do.

[Edited by Olly - 3/31/2003 2:08:56 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 01:24 PM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

From what I remember the MK 2.5 is the mid 2001 model change, with the sport having just about all the options on it as standard, except the 6 disc changer and a/c. The MK2.5 sport also has the revised 1.8 engine, 6 speed box and rear LSD.

Steve

Edited as wrong year in model change

[Edited by J1nxy - 3/31/2003 4:21:52 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2003, 03:13 PM
Mx Tart
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I've got a 98 S reg 1.81S. Upgraded from a mk1 last september, wasn't convinced at first as I missed the pop-up headlights!
The S gives you extras including LSD, electric wing mirrors, stainless steel scuff plates etc.

They are seriously fun cars to drive, keep losing mine as hubby nicks it to 'practise' at the weekend getting the tail out!

Slightly more noisy on a motorway journey - but I just turn the stereo up! In this lovely sunny weather I even have the roof off on the motorway, the heater is so efficient that you don't feel cold.

I had a hard top on the mk1, they are very easy to fit but have a tendancy to rattle which is very annoying. I sold it when I sold the mk1, with the heated glass rear screen on the mk2 I couldn't see a need for it.
Plus if you get a nice sunny day & you've got the hardtop on it's a pain to have to take it off & store it for the day.
Old 31 March 2003, 04:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Wifie has a MK2.5 2002 1.8i, exceptional car even if a little softer than the MK1.

For Anybody wishing to add remote locking to a MK2.5 I have instructions on my web site see here

Allan

Old 31 March 2003, 06:25 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Ex 1.8 is owner. Mine was an late reg X reg sourced from Belgium, spec wise identical to a UK car - even the dealer could not tell apart from when run chassis number. Only lost £1800 pounds in 18 months - cheapest car I've ever run !
It could be slight noisey over 80 on motorway but as mentioned earlier turn radio up! Oh and look for a roof liner kit as standard hood only one layer - Most BM's / Saab tripple layer hoods.
Do miss the ability to go side way at roundabout and comming out of work- great way to bring a smile to your face !
When I move to a warmer climate will definately have another !

Sorry to answer the question asked what to look for, Don't go for anything with body add on's other than standard factory as ruins looks of car. Borla Exhausts and induction kits are fairly common and make the car sound and perform a little better. Check underneath as car has full length chassis rails to protect exhaust and they can get easily scratched as lowish car, I know mine did !
Richard

[Edited by rsarjantson - 3/31/2003 7:30:27 PM]