Westfield Megablade

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 12:45 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I will mate, as soon as i can, my cam is broke

As for selling her, im in 2 minds, i want to keep it as its sooo much fun, but on the other hand id like a busa, i cant truly afford the extra 4 grand it would take on top of what i could sell it for to afford a busa (hence the nos- a cheep alternative)

I will be at the kit car show in stafford this weekend (with the car if its dry )

[Edited by catflap - 3/2/2003 11:43:50 AM]
Old 25 February 2003, 02:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine they're really painful to drive on the road with no low-end torque - is that the case?
Old 25 February 2003, 02:45 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Catflap and GaryC can comment on this, but you'd be surprised.

In our Busa Westie it's quite happy at 30mph in 6th. You'd be very surprised at how quickly they pick up.
Old 25 February 2003, 03:16 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

My mate’s MegaBlade.

You would be write in saying the Blade engine doesn’t produce much torque but who needs torque when the car only weighs 400Kg’s. My mate’s old MegaBlade would pull like a train in any gear. There’s not much comfort but you will soon forget your sore backside when you experience the sheer violence of the acceleration (0-60 4 secs in my mate’s Blade) which is made 100 time worse with no windscreen and no doors. The only thing I can compare the acceleration with is the drop on The Oblivion at Alton Towers.

Tim.
Old 25 February 2003, 07:13 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep , I have a blade

In terms of, comfort umm….. yeh they aint long trip cars, I did take it home to Wales (from stoke) it was very exciting drive, after the first couple of hrs you get a little stiff, but nothing a stop in the service station fixed.

They are sooo much fun, I loved my scoob very very much but I would NEVR go back to one (for a fun car). Its practicality means you need a second car (but then again many westy owners do, and I bought a cheep run-around and im still better of than when I owned a scoob).

I take the wetsy on track as often as I can, and try not to compare it to other cars (you never can, as I pass scoobs like they are standing still – ther is a standing joke that we call them mobile chicanes, as most of the time they just hold you up, BUT then all of a sudden a scoob whooshes past me. Mello passes me in his cozzy like he was not even trying, But i honestly don’t care Im having fun, and learning)

I found it very fun to drive, I like the fact that its not easy to drive fast, you feel your working for your money, When you are fast its very exhilarating s you know its down to your driving skill, but most of the time im still learning how to improve speed (this I know is the same with any car, but it just seems more so in a light weight car)

It screams it holus, its wiggles its bum out all over the road when you try to accelerate, you get cold, wet, and it takes a lot of effort to keep it on the road. BUT… this is the most fun I have ever had in a car (and that includes a 25 quid prostit…… I wont go there HEHEHE)

Running costs and very small, how does 40 odd quid a tyre grab you ? and that ive done 3 or 4 track days on the same set (as I get better at driving im sure ill eat them more)

Fuel is in the 30`s and insurance is 1 quarter of what my scoob was. Everone stops and smiles (or laughs) as opposed to people trying to race me in my scoob, and even driving to annoy me.. The Scooby image is not a very good one where I live, they are owned by boy racers and are seen to be cars for **** (just the image, im afraid)

Its so responsive, it realy does feel like a go kart on the road.
In short westy megblades ROCK

Don’t try one…..coz youll want one

If I can help you with anything drop me a line, im no expert, I just know what I like J

Old 25 February 2003, 07:39 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Ohh and one more thing, the Westy Megablade possibly the best sounding car ever. Frightens the hell out of pedestrians when you fly past at 13,500rpm. Got to be the nearest thing to an F1 car on the road.

Tim.
Old 25 February 2003, 08:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Cheers all, especially catflap for the extended review.

It'll mainly be for track days and I'm considering a season next year in the 750mc RGB championship. Is the clutch quite progressive on it? Is it very difficult to drive in traffic (to/from the track)?

I'd really like a Megabusa but there isn't much choice at the moment and I need a fix now!!
Old 25 February 2003, 10:17 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Had a quick go at pulling my mates Megablade off his drive and down his road. I found no problem with the clutch just a bit light, my mate fitted a competition kevlar race clutch which may have helped??

Tim.
Old 25 February 2003, 10:29 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

Oh wow, if I wasn't getting a new car on Sat, I could be well tempted by a Westie after that description. I know this might sound a little poncy but can you get Westie's with a front windscreen ? I guess you have to wear a helmet otherwise and I'd feel a bit of a tit in a helmet on the normal road TBH.
Old 25 February 2003, 11:12 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi chaps, glad there seems many of you interested, its deff a step in the right direction.

Yeh you can get them with screens, although there is a debate about the screen adding weight, and more or less acting like a wind brake.

The clutch is fine, yeh an updated set of clutch plates will help, but it would have more likely been the springs (probably heavy duty jobbies) that make the most difference to clutch feel.

I can pull off with no hassle at all, first few times it required a little concentration, but its not bad at all, in fact I think its actually very nice, to have a clutch that’s light, REMEMBER when your thrashing this type of car you get the benefit of a 6 speed sequential box, and CLUTCHLESS UP CHANGES hehehehe they rock, just let it bounce of the rev limiter and gently nudge, and WHAM!!! Your in the next gear, but don’t bother waiting coz you’ll need another and another and another in the next few seconds, it really is entertaining to speed up a track clicking through the box as you go, WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!!!!!!! Heheh

Down shift you’ll need the clutch, but as its so light you just poke it briefly with your foot (not so much push it like a normal car) and get the timing just right ans the gear change is incredibly quick, Put it another way, you can accelerate from 0-130 or what ever your car is geared to with no pause in acceleration, you don’t feel any gear changes, passengers don’t even notice them as they tend to be grinning too much to care

I have just come in all grubby handed after myself and Dodge T (Another scoobynet regular, former Scooby owner and current fireblade Westfield owner) have fitted light weigh shocks to improve weigh and handling) My aim is around 400kg

With 135bhp that gives me a nice Bhp/t of 337bhp/t not too shabby, some one mentioned nos to me CIREFULLLLL…..hehe

Can anyone hose a few MPEG`s I have 2 or 3 of my car, not the best in the world, a little shaky but may be of interest to some of you?
Old 25 February 2003, 11:14 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

Regarding the lid, i wear goggles, they look pretty cool, but im currently waiting for a set of special sunglasses that protect you very well. I blast around the country lanes with no lid

NOT FOR VEGITARIANS, as you’ll be grinning so much , well you can guess what grinning / country lanes and summer weekends mean. FLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUMM YUMM YUMM

Old 26 February 2003, 08:29 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'm very tempted now!
Old 26 February 2003, 09:30 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I also have a Westie, 1.8 Zetec, knocking out 170bhp, has full screen, so is fine for driving, say, from Leeds to Cadwell Park, do a full track day and drive back!

Max Power: 174bhp @ 6980rpm
Max Torque: 152lbft @ 3550rpm
Power to weight: 290bhp
0 - 60: 4.1seconds
Max speed: 135mph

As catflap says, it's FUN, you just can't beat the feeling of driving one. The insurance for both my westie and oil burner estate is cheaper than the scoob :O

[Edited by gregh - 2/26/2003 9:31:28 AM]
Old 26 February 2003, 09:59 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Will have to disagree with Tim re the noise. The Busa powered cars sound better

Even more so when the engines just 2ft behind you
Old 26 February 2003, 11:49 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

So is my blade engine (if i reverse whilst sitting the wrong way in the seat

HEHE Me and Dodge are putting some race cons on soon just to see how LOUD one of these things gets hehe, not for track use though

Isint it ironic that cans that say NOT FOR ROAD USE on them cant be used on track as they are too loud

One more thing to consider, is price. Its an old debate that I wont try and solve.

I wanted a busa (still do- as they are GOB SMACKINGLY QUICK) but the budget I had last year would only let me have a blade, so I banked the rest and bought a very nice example. 4 months later the engine blew, the replacement was 800 quid it was at this stage I knew I made the right choice with the blade. (I have recently seen blade lumps fro around 500 on ebay, and might just get one as a spare. Someone on the wscc put it excellently once, the blade is a semi disposable engine, I love this, I means I can have NO mechanical sympathy for the engine, and let it bounce of the rev limiter all day long and if/when it goes POP put another in, its cheaper then having your engine looked at by a mechanic, and the engine transplant is simple to do.

The busa engine is far far better, it has more torque and lots more power (ive had one pass me while I was on full throttle at 120 like I was not even trying, I was very impressed.)

I am planning to put a busa engine in or sell and get a busa just as soon as the average price of lumps drops to 1500, so I may have to wait a few years if ever.

But I will say that up to around 90/100 mph my blade and a slightly tuned busa were quite happy to accelerate at a very similar speed, the busa was ever so slowly edging away, but did not even get 1 car length until we hit the big numbers then the difference was more apparent, so not as bad as many think.

Have you considered other types of ar? Like a lo cost of fury? I have seen a locost blade I for sale for around 3k, yes is may be taty, and yes it may not have the badge, but that’s all forgotten when you start it up J (could be fun tiding up a taty cheep car- LOTS OF CARBON yummy)
Old 26 February 2003, 12:23 PM
markcp
Scooby Regular

Greg,

What spec engine have you got to get the 1.8 Zetec to 170bhp? A colleague is picking his up from the Westy factory and it only has 135bhp He is already thinking about future upgrades and it not sure of how to get more power

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 26 February 2003, 02:14 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

This was all done by Westfield I believe:

Engine: Scholar Racing (Formula Ford Engine Builders) Zetec 1.8I 16v.

Ported and gas flowed head
Fast road Kent cams
4 branch stainless exhaust manifold
Jenvey throttle bodies
3D MBE 965 engine management system

Old 26 February 2003, 02:32 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Do the 'mega' range all come with independant rear suspension? Do you need to dry sump them before taking them out on the track?
Old 26 February 2003, 03:57 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Do you need to dry sump them before taking them out on the
>> track?

yes if you use sticky tyres.

Greg
Old 26 February 2003, 04:38 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Wink

bike engines and zetec, pah!

This is what ya want in yer westie

P
Old 26 February 2003, 05:26 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

How much do westies go for? Mainly about the 1.8 Zetec model.

Darren
Old 26 February 2003, 05:46 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

POC...

you show off

two can play at that game !!!

Derby - the land of road legal race cars
http://www.xtr2.net
Old 26 February 2003, 05:51 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Toe in on them rear wheels
Old 26 February 2003, 06:02 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Er - yeah - that was before the geometry work was done on the car - its much better now thank god !!!

Ian.
Old 26 February 2003, 09:55 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

exhaust silencers are for pussies
Old 26 February 2003, 09:59 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Alrighty then, seeing as we're showing our westies:

Megabusa, fast, but only when the battery's charged :-((

[Edited by megabusa - 2/26/2003 10:03:08 PM]
Old 26 February 2003, 10:49 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Pocs cozzy westy must be awsome, but id not change from a bike powered one, they are somehow RIGHT! for the feel i want form my car.

A turbo busa must be the way to go
You dont need to dry sump the fireblade engine
Old 27 February 2003, 08:23 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

POC, what's the PWR on that beastie? I think I'd prefer a bike-engined one too for their lower weight
Old 27 February 2003, 08:26 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Late on uptake, only got couple of minutes....comments...

No Torque?? Greater torque/ton than a UK STi

Cossie & V8 lumps sound like a good idea but they are too heavy and ruin the ethos of low weight sports car - a 135bhp blade will lap (and has at the 'ring) quicker than a 330bhp Cossie lump due to disadvantage of higher weight (hurts PWR/reduces cornering speeds/increases braking distance)

Dry-sumping - blade engines do not need to be dry sumped, although a baffle plate is a wise addition. Bird and busa engine do however. Not one blade engine has blown up in the 750MC class and not one is dry sumped. The only blade engine I know to blow due to oil was down to there being less than 60% of the needed amount of oil in the engine

Sound - I prefer the blade to the busa as it is more of a screamer (higher redline)

Driving, they are easy. You have to use double the revs for everything - set off with 2k not 1k, power in at 6k not 3k, max power at 10/11k not 5/6k max revs at 13,000 not 6,500
Old 27 February 2003, 08:49 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

jlanng PTW on my car is about 480/490bhp per tonne, the engine is stage 3 producing approx 330bhp. I will get an exact figure once I have had the car weighed and rolling roaded.

GaryC, I've not been in a BEC as yet, I know what you are saying about the extra weight of the engine being detremental to the whole idea of lightweight sports cars. I think I need a go in a busa/blade!

A turbo busa must be the way to go
Oh yes, i've heard of conversions that turn the 1.3busa lump into 350bhp firebreathing turbo nutter motor, phworrrrrrrr! Craig knows more about this.....

Quick Reply: Westfield Megablade