Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO IV...just the visual differences?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 02:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi,

Just wondering on the difference between evo 4 and 6?

Are they just mostly cosmetic ie wheel arches spoiler, bumper etc?, or are we talking major engine and transmission differences?

Wondering because evo will be my next car and allways thought it would be an evo4, but if the 6 is better hardware wise then I could be convinced to get a 6. As it's going to be a major financial move I'd rather get the right one than have to spend more after buying it.

Also I allways service my cars myself (imports) as I've had a lot of b*llsh*t from people and prefer to do the research and go at it myself.

Obviously oil, plugs and other service checks are going to be pretty straight forward after finding out what specifics are involved but I've read a bit about active yaw servicing, is this something to do yourself easily?, as I say only read a bit on this but would be interested to know if anyone has experience of their own work on evo's

Cheers

James
Old 23 February 2003, 02:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but may be of some use.
Here
Old 23 February 2003, 02:26 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can probably find all the info you'll need on this at the MLR - www.lancerregister.com

AFAIK the 4 (unlike the 5) is quite different to the 6. Moses on the MLR is turning his 4 into a 6 - his car looks fab but I think it's taken quite a lot of work. I reckon he'd be a good man to ask about differences though.

Old 23 February 2003, 05:45 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, so it looks like the 4 and 5 have similar engine internals??, and the 6 has better engine internals?.
Looks like the 6 is the one to have, don't like the sound of some of the things on the 4, like faulty ayc ecu, as I'd prob be getting an import it would be hard to get this changed under the recall. Shame because I can't afford the 6 yet.

Anyone got an import evo 4, and can advise on servicing, I presume Mitsubishi UK don't entertain work on them?
Old 23 February 2003, 07:17 PM
Mat R
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You wound'nt be interested in buying a evo 4rs
Old 23 February 2003, 07:28 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks guys, so it looks like the 4 and 5 have similar engine internals??, and the 6 has better engine internals?.
There isnt that much difference between the 5 and the 6, Evo 6's have slightly different pistons. Something to do with an oil flow over the crown of the piston.

Looks like the 6 is the one to have, don't like the sound of some of the things on the 4, like faulty ayc ecu.
I think that 6's are affected by the AYC recall aswell. Most anyway will have been replaced already as this recall is quite old now.

I'd prob be getting an import it would be hard to get this changed under the recall. Shame because I can't afford the 6 yet.
No. Whats up with a 5?

Anyone got an import evo 4, and can advise on servicing, I presume Mitsubishi UK don't entertain work on them?
MMC will service and/or get you any parts you need for your car. MMC are quite different to Subaru in this department. Main MMC dealers have been more than pleasent with me when I have delt with them in the past. You can take it to a dealer or go to an aftermarket tunner that will service it for you without any trouble atall.

There is nothing up with a 4, main differences are cosmetic.
Old 23 February 2003, 08:01 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Evo4's engine is the weakest, then the 5, then the 6 (the 7 been stronger than them all).The main difference between the 5 and 6 includes better cooling on the 6, and as Crypt has already stated, the 6 has jets of oil squirting at the underside of the pistons to cool the crowns.6 also has a bigger intercooler, and more welds on the body.5 and 6 share big brakes too, the 4 has smaller ones.

Max boost recomended for the 4 is 1.3 bar(330bhp), on the 5 and 6 around 1.5/1.6bar(360bhp) before you go internal.Interiors are better on the 5/6, aswell as having a wider track than the 4, hence better handling.

Best bet is go for the 5 or the 6 if you can afford it, i'd personally avoid buying the 4 *if* you can stretch alittle more for the later models.

Old 23 February 2003, 09:48 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice people.

Good to hear that Mitsubishi aren't like subaru, didn't know they'd service an import, thats good.

If I get one soon a 4 will be the one within my price range.
Old 23 February 2003, 10:27 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

A 4 will be fine, i dont think you'll be at all dissapointed in one Like i say, the 6 and 6 may be slightly better, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to what you can afford.
I'd love a new eight, but for the time been i'll be sticking to my 6, mebbe in a couple of years..

/me starts dreaming again

Old 24 February 2003, 04:15 PM
Mat R
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

JAMES MY eVO 4 rS MIGHT BE FOR SALE SOON HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND.THE CAR IS MINT AND DONE 33K.