Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Just blitzed an Elise..

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 03:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<not bragging at all BTW>

Damp roads - straight, Elise was in front on dual carraigeway and he floored it off a roundabout - I could even hear his exhaust over the sound of mine !! - I just went for it and both him and me where suprised how fast I went by him. I would have thought it would have been a struggle ?? - me was in STI Type R (me with crappy brakes also)
Old 07 February 2003, 03:25 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

WhooooooOoOoOOoOOooOooooOoOoOooo! Well done
Old 07 February 2003, 03:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It pleased me since it's first blast I've had since getting the car sorted...oh, just got back from having toyo's fitted and realised they said not to hammer them too soon
Old 07 February 2003, 03:33 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Elises are excellent cars but I was surprised how sluggish they felt in a straight line when I tried them. Even the new mark 2 111s didnt feel really much quicker than the std car. No match for a Type R.
Old 07 February 2003, 03:34 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Unless on track.....
Old 07 February 2003, 03:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Yeah - I wouldn't fancy taking on one say at donnington - Thruxton maybe wher you can get some speed up I guess..
Old 07 February 2003, 03:46 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

..............and he would come back past you on the brakes.
Old 07 February 2003, 04:25 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I used to have a 215bhp supercharged Elise 111s which was never that impressive in a straight line. The best I ever managed on the AP-22 was 0-60=4.5 sec's, 0 - 100=12.4 sec's, not to impressive considering the 111s has the close ratio box and the car had a power to weight ratio of over 300bhp/ton!

Standard Elise does 0 - 100 in 18 sec's, IMHO not very quick!!!

Dom.
Old 07 February 2003, 05:16 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

you'd probably keep with it on the twisties () on a track too.

my old rwd saf cos kept with elises on anglesey race circuit (very twisty), and wasted them on the straights.

in the wet you'd murder them!

sorry but after that track day my opinion of them went down
Old 08 February 2003, 05:09 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

"Bagged 2 Elises in my Honda CTR. I think in race 2 the Elise pilot came out of a rounder-bout and couldn't get a gear. No problems with CTR, best gearbox on the Planet i am told.

Time has caught up with the Elise, Lotus want £30,000 off you for a top spec Elise. You can buy its "slayer" for £16,000 ish!

As a life long Lotus fan i am sorry to see this but facts are facts. You need only to read on the BBs about the trouble Elises have. Autocar ran a story not long ago which tells of Steering racks finished in 20,000 miles or suspension gone in 15,000 miles.

Lotus pilots keep saying that we shouldn't jude their cars by the standards of "Mass produced stuff". Why? If i had £30,000 to spend on a fast stylish sports car it would be the Nissain Z 350 or a Scooby and still have £5,000 in change!

I am sure that colection of Nissan huts in Norfolk that is Lotus will build (misuse of the word) some soon. Built as badly as ever!
Mega.
Old 08 February 2003, 06:32 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Wink

probably poor drivers in the lotus they'd waste a civic, plus the gear sticks where its supposed to be, not out of the dash bus style,..oh hang on civics do look a bit people carrier /bus like
Old 08 February 2003, 07:06 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

I beat 2 Elises, they don't have the BHP to go head to head with moden fast well built cars like the CTR.
Mega
Old 08 February 2003, 07:33 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Wink

Quote -civic type r

"nip to sixty in a chirpy 6.4 seconds - thanks to low gearing - but it is not the complete all round package that it could be. Peugeot's hatches of recent years can still hold their head high in the company of the Type R. A car of this type needs a great chassis and a torquey engine. Power is nothing without grunt. The VTEC screams like an pre-pubescent pig"

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/index.asp?storyId=4233

quote - Elise

"The sprint from zero to sixty takes 5.8 seconds- less than half a second behind a Porsche Carrera. Besides, when your butt's two feet off the ground, anything more than a walking pace feels fast. Sixty feels like 100. One hundred "

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/elise/default.asp?storyId=4113

So you think your civics faster, top end maybe but not accelerating
Old 08 February 2003, 07:41 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Oh come on. CTRs are good but an Elise will take the p1ss outta one on track.

Elises are not quick in a straightline. They are VERY quick on track - as long as you can drive it. They're not Scoob/EVO/CTR type cars where anyone with only moderate ability can drive them quick. However if you can drive, it's a different ballgame.
Old 08 February 2003, 08:20 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

Civic's look like Vans. Elise's turn heads and will blitz a CTR on a track. Say no more.
Old 08 February 2003, 09:00 PM
JaseM
Scooby Newbie

A mega yawnnnnnnnn in a hovis bread van
Old 08 February 2003, 09:59 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

i beat 2 Elises
I beat 2 Elises
Old 09 February 2003, 01:29 AM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Wink

I don’t own a Lotus or a CTR so im not bias to either. But take a second to really think about what your saying hear the CTR is just a small family car with a big engine in and the Lotus is a out an out thoroughbred British sports car with years and years of Lotus race know how built into it. Fare enough the CTR might be faster in a strait line but I could put a 2.0L engine in a Nova SR and it might keep with the Lotus on the motorway. Where a Elise really comes into is own is round a race track where the men are sorted from the boys, I don’t think any CTR owner would see much Elise whooping round a race track.

Tim.
Old 09 February 2003, 09:23 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself this simple question:

Which one will do 0-knickers off fastest?

I rest my case.

(The CTR might even delay the process!)
Old 09 February 2003, 11:34 AM
Mega
Scooby Regular

When a Honda leaves the factory it tends to stay put together. Go read about all the faults Elises have. My Honda has been totally spot on from day one. So have 6 other people i know with them, the headlamps have not fallen out or the suspension come apart or the head gasket let go!

On a small tight track than yes the Elise would better the CTR. But on a long proper track i don't think there would be must in it!

At the end of the track day, the Elise would be on the back of an RAC van and the Honda would take its owner shopping!
Mega
I beat 2 Elises
I beat 2 Elises
Old 09 February 2003, 01:37 PM
JaseM
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Mega boring..........

Is their anything the CTR can't beat - F14 tomcat perhaps - though if mega is driving will be a close thing

Old 09 February 2003, 02:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I like the way everyone calls them CTR's or Type R's - why do they not call them Honda Civics ?? LOL
Old 09 February 2003, 02:22 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

The CTR is a good all round car, but there are alot cars quicker.
I'll probably get one for the misses in a couple of years to replace her GTi-6. The CTR is a solid reliable quick car, I work for a fleet company and our service controllers rate them highly.

What I want to know is why didn't the latest Evo Mag have one in their Hatch/WRX test? All were over 200bhp but they should of put the CTR in there for comparison.

As for Elises, its a bhp thing, as Burns says on the Clarkson video down the straight.."power?...where's the power?". Great quick trackcars, but just fun road cars after 60.

Oh, and if you follow an Elise on the road.....don't drive too close......they don't arf kick up stones!
Old 09 February 2003, 08:43 PM
WoIfie
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha Ha you lot make me laugh

lets face it the elise is VERY underpowered and has 2 wheel drive, and most are driven by wannabys

So beating one on a damp road is not really a challenge is it? any idiot can drive a scooby fast the same CAN NOT be said for an elise

Beat an evo and i might be slightly impressed
Old 09 February 2003, 09:02 PM
Elise S2 Type72
Scooby Newbie

Mega,

Nice to see that you can maintain a cogent and sound arguable position. Following your logic I have seen off 4 CTR's in the last 6 months, therefore in response to your arguement ;

I beat 4 CTRs
I beat 4 CTRs
I beat 4 CTRs
I beat 4 CTRs

You loose :-)
Old 09 February 2003, 09:26 PM
knighjam
Scooby Newbie

Mr Type 72 you beat me to it! Sorry to see Scooby drivers also have a MEGA problem (he posts regularly at www.british-cars.co.uk if you didn't know). This guy needs taking out. He's the biggest pest I've ever come across on the Net.

Mega - whoever you are, you are about as funny as cancer
Old 09 February 2003, 09:32 PM
knighjam
Scooby Newbie

BTW - Mega also claims he's ordered an Elise, so take that any way you choose! Bye.........
Old 09 February 2003, 09:48 PM
Elise S2 Type72
Scooby Newbie

Knighjam,

The dealer probably took one look at him and refused to sell him one :-) LOL
Old 09 February 2003, 09:50 PM
rjc
Scooby Regular

As an ex Elise and an ex Scooby owner, all I can say is I'd rather have an Elise anyday. Forget all this 0-100 crap, it's driver involvement and excitement you want. The Elise is fun to drive at 40mph, my Scooby was never as much fun at any speed. If all you want to do is outdrag other cars, then get a motorbike.

The 1999 Elise was a damn site more reliable than my MY2000 scooby as well. The brakes on a standard SIT are simply not up to track days where as those on an Elise would be fine all day long.

The gear box on the Elise is average but can be easily improved through simple mods. The SIT gearbox is a nightmare for quick getaways and clutch life is short.

The bottom line is that power is a tiny part of a good car. Handling and dynamics are what serious drivers are interested in and that comes with light weight cars like the Elise that have a superb chassis and well sorted suspension. The SIT is just too heavy to cut it as an involving sports car. It is one of the quickest ways to get across country in wet conditions though, but that doesn't make it a good drive.

As for the Civic Type R, can't say I've driven one but it is hardly what I call sexy to look at. Hot MPV's have passed their sell by date already.

Rob Collingridge
http://www.elises.co.uk
Old 10 February 2003, 12:12 AM
Ruggs
Scooby Newbie

Mega, So...... it's not just on the British Cars BBS that you make a nuisance of yourself. What is this pathetic neurosis you have about Elises and running them down everywhere?

You do have a point about their cost, but you are WRONG on the reliability factor on the Elise. Having owned a 225 TT Coupe and 4 Alfa Spiders I would drive nothing other than the Elise for involvement and fun AND relaibility, where the TT and the Alfas fell down VERY heavily.

When I need a practical performance car instead of the Elise, I would look no further than the Scooby. The Honda Civic isn't even on the radar.

Quick Reply: Just blitzed an Elise..