Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche 944 oval dash model.. Got one??

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2003, 11:21 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think?? any pics??? running costs and how much do you expect to loose when selling.
Any good owners BBS with a "For Sale section"??

Cheers
Old 25 January 2003, 09:04 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

What do you think??
Brilliant

any pics???
Yes

running costs and how much do you expect to loose when selling
About the same as an Impreza, you should not expect to loose a great deal.

Any good owners BBS with a "For Sale section"??
Whats your budget?

Old 25 January 2003, 10:00 AM
Luke
BANNED

£5-6k
Old 25 January 2003, 10:16 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Well that will get you one. Try and get a Turbo or an S2, and as with any Porsche service history is the key. 100,000 mile cars are not a problem.

I paid 12500 for mine, which is 2500 more than I wanted to spend, but so far so good, nothing and I mean nothing has gone wrong. That includes 3 track days too!

As soon an Turbo sport comes back up I will post my pics.

I am sure Fen will be along soon who can offer a bit more info.
Old 25 January 2003, 08:58 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Old 25 January 2003, 09:14 PM
Luke
BANNED

Nice pics.. i am going for a silver/grey one if I find a goodun. Must have AC etc and be tighter than **** * ** *****!!
Old 25 January 2003, 09:36 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I wanted a metallic colour, but as long as it wasn't white I didn't care to much.

I am not sure, but forget AC these babies come with climate!! Not sure if they all did though

Mine is a 1990 250bhp Turbo and can get from 60 - 100 in 7.7 seconds, and keep going until 163mph. Lord knows what it will do when I get the 300 bhp upgrade.
Old 26 January 2003, 02:35 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

My search isn't working, but search for the 'Respect the Porker' thread from a few weeks ago to see piccies of mine.

£5-6k should get you an OK S2 or Turbo (Dave's is a bit of a minter). If my '90 G Turbo were standard and I was selling (neither is the case) I'd want £6.5-7k for it, but I only paid £8k for it in June 2001. I think the Scoob cost slightly more to run.

Turbo's went 250bhp in '89 (220 before). The 250 cars came with leather and LSD as well as things like bigger drive shafts and a bigger blower. All Turbos have climate, few S2's do (and the tend to be the later ones). There were special edition ones in '88 with 250, no sunroof and a few special bits. They don't seem to command a premium.

I had an S2 once and it went about the same as a standard 250 turbo, but didn't feel as quick. I also spent £1,300 having its cams replaced, even though it had a full Porsche history - Porsche don't check and the chain wears, mine had missing teeth it was so bad! Turbos are 8V and don't have the chain as they're single cam. I prefer Turbos because of the better spec and they're more tunable, but some prefer the S2.

I've never driven a 2.5 or 2.7, and to be honest you'd be better looking for an S2 or Turbo with your budget (you'll lose bugger all as well if you buy a good one and look after it). You'll not be looking at cars with low mileages at that money though, but they last OK if serviced.

Replace the cam belt on anything you buy, otherwise things like fuel lines corroding (regardless of mileage), head gasket (goes more often after 10+ years than after x,000 miles), steering racks, UJ's, whiny gearboxes are the only things to look out for (obviously it shouldn't smoke, rattle etc.). Non mechanical problems are leaky sunroofs, stripped sunroof gears, leaky tailgates etc. Turbos ALL have weak wastegates but there are alternatives for £500 or so that cure it and give you more go.

got to www.titanic.co.uk/944 and join the mailing list or try www.911virgin.com or www.shirleys-garage.co.uk as a staring point (don't have time to figure out making them clicky).

Mail me back if I can help any further.

Fen
Old 26 January 2003, 04:40 PM
BOOT
Scooby Regular

Ive got an 88 lux, full porsche history ( every job done at dealer ) 217,000 on the original engine and I am the second owner. Things to look for when buying, check paint work, alot of these cars have been resprayed,HISTORY,a new clutch is about 500 notes ( about the same as my old impreza ),fuel pipe corosion,door boot and sunroof seals tend to leak.
I am going to change this in the summer for a 944 turbo or a 911 ( if I can find the right one ) should make money on this one!
I use this as a 3rd car so its on classic insurance, sits in the garage and lots of moaning off the wife.
Old 27 January 2003, 11:47 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Hello

For 6k you should be able to get a really good 944. Mileage is not really that important what is a full service history. It doesn't have to be from a Porsche dealer but a good independent will do.

Models that you could get for 6K would be
2.5 8v
2.7 8v
2.5 16v
2.5 8v turbo MkI 220bhp MkII 250bhp

At this price I would avoid S2's and MKII turbos, good ones go for 10k+

Your best bet if you find one would be a 2.7. They have a bit more torque than the 2.5 but none of the potential trouble of a 16v. Failing that a 2.5 is a fine car, if not the quickest in the world. The turbo is a great car and fairly reliable. However when things go wrong (and with an older car they will) parts and labour are expensive.

The problem with the 16v is the cam belt. If this snaps in an 8v you may end up with a few bent valves and a bill for £600. In a 16v the cam belt is linked to the inlet cam with is joined to the exhaust cam by a metal chain. Because of the arrangement a broken cam belt could lead to the replacement of both cams. Also the sprocket and cam chain tensioners wear very quickly and if not maintained properly can cause damage to the camshafts, valves and tappets.

This is not to say don't get a 16v but make sure it has had the belt changed recently and the chain tensioner (this is not in the Porsche service schedule).

Other things to look for would be

Engine mounts
These are oil filled and are prone to leaking. This causes vibration through the car. If they have been replaced they should have an orange base. The orange one was redesigned to stop the leaking.

Whining from the rear

If you hear a whining noise it could be one of two things. Either the differential bearings or the pinion bearing in the gearbox. The way to tell which one is if the noise is only there when accelerating or decelerating it will probably be the diff bearing. If it is still there on a constant throttle it is probably the gearbox. Neither of these are particularly bad and can be put right for £400-£500. Could help negotiations to the lower the price. "It’s got a knackered gearbox mate!"

When cold the gearbox can be a total pig to select first gear. However the gearshift should be smooth when warm, if not the linkages will need greasing. Again nothing to worry about.

Oil leaks

Check for leaks. The oil stem seals are prone to leaking. Not expensive but a bit of an **** to do. The oil cooler has been known to leak oil in to the coolant so do the usual check of seeing if the header tank cap has any white emulation.

Head Gaskets normally go after 10 years - check to see if it has been done

After the car has warmed up get someone to rev it fairly hard. Smoke at high rev could indicate piston rings have gone or the cylinder bores are worn. Probably best to walk away but if you are not sure get a compression test done as if it is the bores the block is as good as junk.

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head but a good web site to look at is http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html it contains a really good FAQ with all the fact on the 924/944/968 series

[Edited by Mark Champion - 1/27/2003 12:26:24 PM]

[Edited by Mark Champion - 1/27/2003 12:31:26 PM]
Old 27 January 2003, 12:32 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I bought a 944 Lux 2.7 back at the start of 1997. It's still in the family - my father owns it now. In 5 years, the only semi-expensive bill was for a new front suspension component (wasn't a serviceable item at the time, now is I think). It's been 100% reliable, and returns an average of around 27mpg. Still think it looks the business, have much fonder memories of it than my scoob, and still have pangs of regret that I sold it whenever I see it.

Gary.
Old 27 January 2003, 03:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

chap I know at work has a mint 944 2.7 K plate in yellow he is selling - I'm sure he was looking for between £6k & £7k, I don't think it has a very high mileage.

If yer interested I'll get more information on it..
Old 28 January 2003, 04:40 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Yellow is rare, but it's a bit wishy-washy, Summer yellow, not Speed Yellow like the 968CS was famous in.

£6-7k is maybe about right if it's a minter, but you can get a decent turbo or S2 for that, I'd bet, you just have to look and be prepared to travel to see Sh1*e.

Fen
Old 29 January 2003, 01:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I stand corrected - it was actually a K Plate 968 in yellow - 3 litre.. and he doesn't want to sell it know !!! he thinks he'll only get 6 or 7k for it and would rather keep it...
Old 29 January 2003, 02:40 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

More like £12-£13k if it's sensible miles and decent nick. My guess is he's been to try to trade it in and been offered a ****-take figure for it. I was offered £7k for my 911 in 1995. I saw the actual car for sale for £13,995 last year and it was gone when I phoned about it...

Tell him I'll give him £8k for it.

Fen
Old 04 February 2003, 06:28 PM
iguana
Scooby Regular

I will be selling my pre-oval dash 944 soon for well under your budget, quite a sweet one with lots of bucks spent by the fella before me, but not realy good for the old girl to rack up 110miles a day on my commute & I can't afford to keep her just for weeknd driving- thats what my motorbike is for

Ther is a pic of it in the 944 buyers gude on pistonheads (silver one with S2 wheels)