Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mondeo ST24

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 05:14 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ello,

well, since my scooby passed on (to another owner that is) I've had a couple of things - Sierra Cosworth etc and now I have got an X-plate Mondeo ST24 Saloon.

Now - I've heard it all before, 'hyped up' rep-mobile, mundano etc etc. However - I am quite pleasantly surprised by it as it's not bad on juice, lots of toys, pretty quick and actually handles pretty good. Plus the engine is pretty cool.

What are your experience with them (other than 'blowing em away') and what are your opinions?

I'm starting to look for some good mods for it but the UK seems a little thin on the ground really, lots of kit in the US tho. Does anyone know of any good suppliers for engine parts etc?

And... does anyone know where I could get hold of genuine BTCC Mondeo front(chin) and rear spoilers?

ta,
Matt
Old 14 January 2003, 05:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like em I borrowed one for a weekend last year and was very impressed. The only problem is that you have to keep turning the radio off to listen to that V6 under acceleration
Old 14 January 2003, 05:30 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dad has one but he won't let me loose in it Sommat to do with driving like a pr1ck apparently .
As he is old he has no interest in modding it, but it is my belief that an induction kit would sound the bo11ocks. For the Mondy a K&n is about £95. If you go this route, let me know how it sounds, and if you could manage a sound bite that would be ace.
Old 14 January 2003, 05:54 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments guys :-)

I've found some pretty nice (IMHO) sounding exhausts over the pond, check these out:

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/sounds...1/oct0401c.wav

More are here...
http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contou...ourexhaust.htm

ta,
Matt.

Old 14 January 2003, 08:20 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

I went from Scoob to V6 Mondeo (GhiaX not ST24), never had any problems with it and was suprised how well it did on fuel. I can remember asking the salesman where all the power was when I took it for the test drive. 240bhp/1240kgs to 167bhp/1340kgs felt a big step.

On one gentle run to the coast, 160 miles, I averaged 40.7mpg on the fuel computer. Not bad for a big car with a V6 stuck in it.
It suprised a few people, especialy those with 1.8lx Mondeos, with its midrange grunt and handling.

It was an ex-demo and I kept it 10 months, just got a bit boring after a while. I now have an Alfa 156 Selespeed Veloce. The Alfa is 165bhp and 100kg lighter so the Alfa is a little quicker at 100% but it doesn't have the mid range of the Mondeo V6. Fuel economy is about the same as you have to push the Alfa harder for the same performance, there is nothing below 3500rpm in the Alfa until the variable valve timing and intake geometry changes over.

I think the Mondeo does need a louder exhaust as when you get to 6500rpm all you can hear from the V6 is the sound of the cam chains, a sort of mechanical wooshing noise.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 1/14/2003 8:23:15 PM]
Old 15 January 2003, 09:47 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Hi Lee,

Interesting that you went to an Alfa. I considered getting a V6 or a twinspark but just heard all of the reliability issues and decided to opt for something that would be cheapish to fix when it goes wrong

Have you had any problems with your Alfa dude?

ta,
Matt
Old 15 January 2003, 09:07 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

11months and 13000 miles and not a single problem with the Alfa.
Build quality is on par with Ford and Subaru but not as good as BMW or Audi.

It was a Euro import so I got 2 years manufacturers and 2 years dealer warrenty.

UK list price of over £20k when I bought it and I paid £14k for it with Veloce spek(Lowered suspension, sideskirts, 16"Alloys, carbon dash, sports seats et.) and also had the high level rear spoiler.

Pics of 156 here

Cheers
Lee
Old 16 January 2003, 11:08 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Alfa's nice dude, I very nearly bought one but just was worried about reliability and stuff. V6's lovely motor in them