Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FAO : Camk

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2002, 09:57 AM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

any idea how many miles 996 brake pads have left in them once the wear indicator comes on?

mines come on, but noone can take the car in to change them before xmas..

Cheers

Dean
Old 04 December 2002, 12:08 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

merkin, sorry no. I'll look at the manual tonight and see what it says. I'll ask on the Rennlist too to see what I get. What is you mileage at present. I'm at 22K KM(13K Miles or so).

Cheers
Cammy
Old 04 December 2002, 12:36 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cam, looked in the manual, doesnt seem to say anything, im at 40k miles, always had em changed at services before, but did a trackday a few weeks ago. I imagine there must be a good few hundred miles left once indicator comes on, just wondered whether you knew.

cheers

Dean
Old 04 December 2002, 01:47 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

What warranty did you get in the UK, mine is just up here 2 years unlimited mileage but I've been reading with increasing angst on Rennlist about main rear seal issues causing an oil leak that needs a total rebuild. Not sure I'd be happy forking out 3-4K on a fix that seems to be anything but rare a few weeks after my warranty is up.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 04 December 2002, 01:54 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

I got the 1 year used warranty, which i'll extend when it runs out, if i haven't sold the car before that (which is a real possibility).

One of my friends was 3 months out of warranty, and is currently sitting in JZ machtechs workshop with a ruined cylinder head, apparently caused by crap in the water tank getting into the engine
Old 04 December 2002, 03:54 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Merkin,
Not a definitive answer from Rennlist but probably due to possible overheating issues the light will warn before damage will result to discs as they need to think of ability to brake remaining even once the light comes on. I wouldn't track it though

User # 45

posted 12-04-2002 10:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mileage will vary by how you drive and brake. Once the sensor goes off you really need to to change the pads before they wear through and damage the rotors.

Below 2 mm thickness is considered a hazard not only for damage but safety (overheating).

Don't forget to replace the sensors and the vibrations dampers when you change pads.

Old 04 December 2002, 04:59 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers

No trackdays coming up lol, but I need to drive to Norfolk and back before the dealers can get it done.