Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW's- driven by tossers?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 02:02 PM
scooby whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the search for a potential scooby replacement, I fleetingly considered a BMW M3 Evo. Couldnt bring myself to do it though. Great engine, no, fantastic engine but is it just me or are BMW drivers complete **££$&%*&"!!

If there is someone over taking on the inside or 2" from your bumber, its often one of those BMW's. I have known a few M drivers and they dont even know what size engine they have under the bonnet because they dont know how to open the bonnet and only bought one because its a BMW with some nice badges.

Is their image as i have described? When i mentioned to mates that I was thinking about an M3 they all pulled a face and said to stick with the Scoob. Much more street cred apparantly!

[Edited by scooby whip - 12/2/2002 2:04:40 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 10:00 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

and is practical especially if over 6ft.
May I disagree please? There is not enough headroom in the 3 series. Ok, I am out of proportion in that my upper body is longer than my legs (only a 34" inside leg) but I find it very hard to get in a 3 series without having to recline the seat to about 45-50 degrees just to stop my head hitting the roof lining. Now if you could make the seat about 2-3 inches lower I'd be fine. Oh, and I'm not that tall, I'm only 6'3.5"

[Edited by TaviaRS - 12/3/2002 10:00:56 AM]
Old 12 April 2002, 03:58 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

The only problem I find with driving over 200kmh most of the time is the 99 RON fuel starts to get a bit pricey but as it is cheaper and more easily available at every petrol station rather than just 1 in 10 like it is in the UK, then it is not really a problem afterall.

Oh and did I tell you my car insurance has gone down aswell.

[Edited by Wurzel - 12/4/2002 3:59:53 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 03:59 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

aye quick driving is one thing but I cannot get decent bacon since they shut Marks and Sparks, just that streaky crap

Steve,
My mate got that job in your place, keep an eye out for him in the new year Stuart MacDonald is his name, nice bloke. He's got a UK Scoob Did you get you TUeV sorted ?

Cheers
Cammy

[Edited by camk - 12/4/2002 3:59:49 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 04:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

So,back to the title:

In summary, yes.

<diplomat mode> BUT, not all of them </diplomat>

<whispers> most of 'em though

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 12/4/2002 4:18:43 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 06:11 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

my 1nsurance went down 110Euros as well new SF rat1ng BLOODY eyboard playng up on my laptop

[Edited by camk - 12/4/2002 6:12:24 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 02:34 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Scooby Whip,

Do it!!!!!

you will then whip scoobies..... hahahahahha

BB
Old 02 December 2002, 02:37 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm the most anti-BMW person I know, however, I think M3's transcend the worst of the image problems. The majority of tossers in BM's are 316/318 drivers (the very worst being the de-badged 318 with an M badge type's)

If I could afford one, I'd buy one and I really, really detest the 3 series image.
Old 02 December 2002, 02:45 PM
scooby whip
Scooby Regular

beemerboy, not a P1 i wouldnt which i what i'm going for. P1 would beat the M3 in the dry, and it the wet..well no contest at all!
Old 02 December 2002, 02:47 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

BMW -
a generalisation that you may agree with?
"driven by those that are not rich, who intend to look rich!"

this includes my mate who has a 3 series - tos5er

weava

Old 02 December 2002, 05:06 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

blimmy ,,,,,, im glad im part exchanging my BMW for the scoob
Old 02 December 2002, 05:19 PM
scooby whip
Scooby Regular

noted and agree Scoobysnacks, the M3 is a very good car and very fast. I would gladly have one if it were not for the image problem which is what I'm getting at. The M3's look too much like standard 3 series beemers and round here they are more common than Ford Mondeos!

I prefer something a little different!
Old 02 December 2002, 05:36 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

I fleetingly considered a BMW M3 Evo. Couldnt bring myself to do it though. Great engine, no, fantastic engine but is it just me or are BMW drivers complete **££$&%*&"!!
blah blah blah

Bit like saying "Scooby drivers have their heads firmly locked in their *****" aint it ??

Tho I do agree with the point that it seems to be the 316/318 cars that cause the bad image of BMW drivers as a whole.

Old 02 December 2002, 05:39 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Smile

My post disappeared so here it is again!?

M3 EVO's (E36) are quicker than most people think. 0-100 mph in 12.8, 60-100 mph in 7.4. In other words, from 60 mph onwards, any standard scooby would be left behind in a straight line - don't forget, lower drag, 321 bhp and rear wheel drive. Grip around fast sweepers would probably better as well with those standard wider tyres. Not saying they would match scoobs (especially P1's) on tighter winding roads though as they wouldn't. I've got an article from Top Gear Magazine a few years ago where, in the hands of two top drivers, a standard M3 managed an average fastest lap around the Nurburgring quicker than a Corvette, Carrera S, NSX and R33 Skyline... OK the NSX span on one of it's laps - but it was only only a few seconds quicker on it's best one. I guess all I'm saying is don't dismiss the M3 as a posers car with no substance.
I've got an MY98 WRX by the way, but I've always liked M3's so thought I'd stick up for it.
Old 02 December 2002, 05:39 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Please dont tar us all with the same brush! Some of us are petrolheads, but i will be the first to admit not every M3 owner buys the car for its ability, just for its image.....

I am an enthusiast of BMW and of practically any performance car on the planet!

Well, time to make a couple of enemies by saying that the M3, in the dry at least is a faster car than a P1 in every area, possibly apart from braking. Or am i a simply better driver than the 2 P1s i've encountered?

If you want that engine but not the 3series image, why not follow in my footsteps and get yourslf a naughty but nice Mcoupe?
Old 02 December 2002, 05:53 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can everybody get over this BMW drivers are to55ers thing. Every day of every week, i see at least one pr1ck. This pr1ck can be driving everthing from a 2cv to a Ferrari. I'm pretty sure that if you go to a BMW BBS there will be the odd thread moaning about Scoob drivers. Horses for courses!
I think it comes down to the thing that Scoob drivers see Mr BMW as being a contender for king of the road, along with Evo's, Elise's, etc, etc, etc. Fact is, Mr Scoob knows for a fact that a standard M3 will sit on ya **** all day long. Who cares. Fast cars, are fast cars some are a tiny bit faster than others.
Old 02 December 2002, 06:11 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't avoid a car because of its image.

Before rallying Scoobs were considered farmer browns transport. "Ooooh Arrr Jethro where's me pick up! Now they are pretty cool.

If the BMW fits your requirement buy it, they are great, the people that use the stereo type BMW "to55er" are the same ones that make stereo typical racist and disabilty jokes.
Old 02 December 2002, 06:49 PM
andrewh
Scooby Newbie

Angry

NotoriousREV

I drive a 94 318i. Sorry if you have a problem with this. NOT!

Like most it was originally a company car and is now an affordable way for new drivers to get onto the bmw ladder.

When you compare it with other cars available for around the 5k bracket, fords, pug, fiat etc it still looks the part and is practical especially if over 6ft.

Have you ever actually driven one. Great drivers cars and nice to look at (ok abit dated because of the E46 but still good compared to whats generally out there) Ie. Ford mondeo, vectra, fiesta etc.

A lot of the guys on here drive your typical 1.8 - 2.5L cars during the week and use the scoob at weekends anyway so whats your point.

I agree about the current trend of debadgeing but i can usually tell and they'll come up with some excuse like "the car came like that" etc when i quiz them about it.

What exactly has a bm driver done to you anyway probably some 23 y/o smoked your 96 wrx or whatever in his m3 cab. LOL. So you take it out of the typical bm driver who just want's to get his/her kids to school/work shopping etc.

What was your first car?

Alot of the older 316/318's i see are driven by women not sure if this has anything to do with it.

The only to$$er here son is you.

Old 03 December 2002, 07:21 AM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

....and is practical especially if over 6ft.
Tell me about it.... The current car I have (E39 540) is the only one I have been in that I DONT have to have the seat right back to drive. With the seat right back I almost struggle to use it

Will easily annoy Impreza turbos as well <----- That'll get em going

p.s. the last comment was a bit of banter so dont take it to heart

Old 03 December 2002, 07:43 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Andrewh,

Get over it, son, it's called banter. Although you have shown typical aggressive 318 driver mentality, do you drive this way also, being overly aggressive to compensate for your lack of power under the hood?

To answer your quesion, my 1st car was a Ford Cortina 1.6GL, but I'm not sure I see your point in relation to the argument?

You like your BM, fine, good for you, I'm glad your happy with it, I personally don't like "the image", never said they were bad cars. I also don't like Audi S3's or TT's, but plenty do. I happen to like Scooby's. I also, shock, horror, love old American cars, but if you don't, I don't care. I have my opinions, you have yours. Have fun expressing them.

Also, please note that I said "the majority of tossers in BM's are..." not that all BM drivers are tossers, there's a distinct difference.

Oh, and I've been pissed of by more Merc drivers than BMW drivers recently

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 12/3/2002 7:46:11 AM]
Old 03 December 2002, 09:17 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I think we are straying a bit from the point here, I know we shouldn't tar every beemer driver with the same brush............BUT every BMW driver I come across on the road is an ignorant, blind, deaf, inept TW*T......

Beleive me there are other people like this but it seems most BMW drivers are like this, you ask anybody who isn't a BMW driver and they will probably agree.

They can't all be like this surely ? I have heard of a contract you have to sign before buying saying you must agree to be a TW*T on the road.
Old 03 December 2002, 10:10 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Wink

That probably explains why I just almost got rear ended by a 330d driver in a fluorescent jacket

- he was leaning so far back that he could only see my car and not the artic that just pulled out across in front of me on the roundabout.
Old 03 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

All the drug dealers around here have M3's
Old 03 December 2002, 10:47 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

BUT every BMW driver I come across on the road is an ignorant, blind, deaf, inept TW*T
Pardon, you'll have to speak up a bit!!!

BB
Old 03 December 2002, 11:08 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Errm... isn't saying that you won't buy a car "because of the image" the equivalent of what someone else said about those who do buy the car just for image? If you like the car for whatever reason then buy it!

p.s. whether its a 318, M3, badged, debadged doesn't have any bearing on the driver. There are more 318's in circulation so statistically you will notice more of the bad drivers in them.

I have an M3 with no badge - I like it that way.
Old 03 December 2002, 11:16 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

If you like a certain car and can afford it...have it!

Don't worry about what other people think!! Life's too short!
Old 03 December 2002, 11:21 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

LOL @ beemerboy

I think NA cars feel too slow and are slower, less torque etc. No more for me, thanks
Old 03 December 2002, 11:25 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

My gripe is the amount of holdups I get travelling round the home counties as the local plod and recovery services pull another Subaru Impreza back onto its wheels or out of a field, due to over exuberant and over confident driving. As the stunned driver stands scratching his head saying but the lads on the internet all do it and I've got SO3's so that should not happen

Regards
316 man

If anything I see snobbish and ignorant comments on this thread(its not the first one either). IMHO this type of drivel should be straight into the Muppet Forum.
Old 03 December 2002, 12:30 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

I think it's wrong to tar people with the same brush, sure there are some tossers driving beemers, but the same isporbably true of Scoobs as well.

Besides, just about to give the Scoob back and try and get an M5, I know the engine size and a whole lot more, but does it still make me a tosser?

Don't answer that....
Old 03 December 2002, 12:52 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Tosser is as Tosser does

I drive an Impreza, does that make me a boy racer? (probably, just a bit older than most)

I drive a Lexus, does that make me a drug dealer? (no, they're for my own personal use)

I drive a Renault Clio, does this make me a saucy french bird? (only on weekends)

I ride a motorbike, does this mean I like hanging about with men in leather? (yes, but none with moustaches, thanks)

Every car has an image, which you can either live with or you can't. It's part of the intangible qualities we percieve when making our purchasing decision. Why choose a particular car, why choose a particular colour, why choose a particular trim level or options? Car buying is an emotional experience for a lot of people, especially enthusiasts, which I beleive we all are.

If you like the image that goes with BMW's then fine. You probably think that the BMW brand gives off an image of quality and money. Not all of us agree with that, but it's not a concrete fact that can be argued, it's opinion.

I bought a Lexus IS200 over a BMW 318 and beleive it to be a superior car in all respects, some people think it's tacky. Sometimes people tell me exactly how tacky they think it is, I say fine, you don't own it or drive it, I do and I love it (apart from that gutless motor [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )

If you asked most people who were the most aggressive drivers on the road I bet they'll say: BMW drivers, Merc drivers and White Van man. Is it true? Who knows, I don't drive like a saint does that make all IS200 drivers tossers? No, of course not, just me and Alan Partridge.

Please, everyone, get over yourselves, learn to poke fun at yourselves, stick your tongue firmly in your cheek (instead of your ****) and smile.

Now, who here hates the French? (Hi Claudius )

Quick Reply: BMW's- driven by tossers?