Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mazda RX7 Series II

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 11:33 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone any good words, or bad to say about a 1991 era Mazda RX7 turbo. Manily interested in the bodyshell/rust, suspension etc. Parts availability for these items. Not so much interested in the engine, as I am looking to buy one with a scrap motor.
Do they have a LSD as standard?? Do things break easy?? Are the brakes any good, do they handle??
Old 30 October 2002, 12:27 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Afraid i'm not too clued up on the series II version (only ever owned the old Mark I). However, i know 2 folk who have the series IIs and both of them own 2 (one for driving and one purely for spares). I'd make the assumption that spares parts are hard to come by. Saying that though, one of the guys (who used to live on my street) had his for the last 6 or 7 years and used it daily.

For definite though, they are very expensive to service and a b***h to work on yourself (unless you used to go to work wearing Mazda overalls).

The one upside is that they are very very quick (would give most scoobs a hard time on the motorway).
Old 30 October 2002, 07:55 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

Just to add to what Marty said -

£650 for an exhaust system (Standard) and that was in 1999!

Great cars though........had a Turbo II.
Old 30 October 2002, 08:49 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bloke I used to work with had a '90 Series II turbo -- bought it as a Mazda approved used car from a main dealer. Went like an effin' rocket -- but after its third total engine failure in 11 months (every one was a rotor tip seal going and carving big lines around the chamber 'til it seized) he left the car with the dealer and got a refund from Mazda.

Interestingly (shades of Scoobies #3 big end problem) it always blew the motor after a long, hard drive up the motorway. His main use for the car was long distance work -- he worked part time in London and used to drive 2 / 3 times a week from Manchester and back.

IIRC Mazda was trying to blame "poor quality UK fuel" causing carbon build up on the rotor tips .... believe me, this bloke's car never had a chance for carbon build up ....
Old 30 October 2002, 06:01 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Again, mostly interested in rust etc and how the body etc lasts.
I dont care about the engine/gearbox, as i will be junking it anyway probably.
I know where there is a car local to me, that has been lying for 9+ months. It needs a clutch, and wont start. The nosecone is damaged, and it has had a pass side door. Generally the car seems in OK condition. Black, UK car 91 turbo. It is a little rusty, from lying about for so long, so I expect a few things to be siezed up. I dont want it if they rust really badly, body parts are impossible to get, or suspension parts, as no doubt bolts all around the car will be siezed requiring some persuading to remove things, and then replacements. He is asking £1000 for the car, which is far too much. Ive bid him £300, which is still being generous I think, considering it wont go, and the clutch is fried, the exhaust is also ver rusty, but will be no use to me and it will have to be trailered home.. It would still be an ideal project car for me.
Are spares easy to get...eg nose cone and other items???
Do they rust badly in hard to see areas??
Old 30 October 2002, 07:14 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to source a new front bumper for this

I'm not sure if I like this bumper or not, as you can see it's cracked on the right hand side, I'll let you know if I find anything.

[Edited by MattN - 10/30/2002 7:15:35 PM]
Old 30 October 2002, 09:16 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Steve, have a look at WWW.MazdaRotaryClub.com and register and ask questions of their BBS.

Dan