Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO 7 compared with EVO 6

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 07:36 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well Deep, don't get me wrong (and no, I did not feel you took a dig, really) - I have only owned 2 (Subies that is - I was a Skyline owner till then - well actually the wife still has an R34), so bow to your experience, but since I drive them - Scoobs and Evos - often (many models) I think I have an idea (IMHO ).

I was in a V4 type R last night (Prova chip, Fujitsubo exhaust & ex-mani etc, etc) and it is a mighty fast car, the owner also has added an ALK, ARBs, end links etc, so it handles pretty well , although his dampers are a bit shot . They are fab cars in their own right...

I have driven std current shape STis too, and yes, they felt head heavy, and did not feel as "quick" as many GC8s (or Evos) I have driven. But on the otherhand, I found the GD was faster and easier to drive quickly in more real world situations as std than the older models because it felt more stable (more so than an Evo that can skip & hop on the poorer road surfaces we seem to have here). Now, I know that does not wash for many owners (of both GCs and GDs - Evos too), so I'll say right now I like them all, and don't have an out and out favourite (proven by the fact that I own a Legacy?).

In short, the "new" car feels like the chassis engineers have finally got a handle on the extra weight. And the drivetrain team has, too. Basically the balance is back. The new JDM car is more resistant to roll, has better turn in, more stability in corners, and the revised engine has given it a big serve of dash out of corners and off the line - not to mention the easier day to day driving thanks to the reduction in lag. People that get the JDM WILL be surprised at the difference with the Euro MY03 - it is that much different. At the sametime it is quiet enough that it is still deceptively fast (if you aren't watching the gauges of course ).

Sorry to have hijacked the thread a bit - but was just trying to add an option...and all the opinions are just IMHO, not trying to start a this is better than that fight... blah blah blah

Cheers - edit for kack sperring

[Edited by AJbaseBloke - 11/4/2002 7:38:35 AM]
Old 29 October 2002, 01:53 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Might be of interest to some folk here. Tried to cut the bullsh1t out here and tell it like it *really* is after having owned both cars:

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/

then click on Evolution Vii

limit handling section is really in its infancy... will add more once geometry has been checked and sorted and after a trackday or two
Old 29 October 2002, 02:29 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading. I am sure the Evo VII is much improved on the VI in alot of areas but to me it has 2 serious handicaps.

1) The looks

2) The weight

The Evo Vii looks may have grown on you but IMHO the VI still looks 10 times the car the VII does. Far more aggressive. Park the 2 next to each other and I wouldn't have to even think twice about which one I would prefer and 99% of the people I have asked agree with me even a year on from the VII being released most people see it as a step in wrong direction lookswise.

The car is heavier. Obvioulsy improvements have been made to the handling package but the basic fact is the cars weighs more, stunting performance making the new car actually slower than the old car. Not good. Unfortunately this seems to be the trend with most new carsthese days.

The upshot of this is that the majority of people I have spoken to still prefer a decent Evo 6 to the 7. I'd take a Tommi Mak Evo 6 over a 7 anyday of the weak.

Each to their own I suppose but IMHO a move in the wrong direction for the Evo I think and the upcoming VIII looks even worse judging by spyshots.

Subaru had the bug-eye. What could the Evo 7 be called.
Old 29 October 2002, 02:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Didnt they test the 6 and 7 back to back round a track somewhere and found out that the 7 was somewhat quicker than the 6?
If it was all about straight line speed then i dont think anyone would buy a Subaru or an Evo, we would all be buying nova's with 2ltr engines

Tony
Old 29 October 2002, 02:43 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

"stunting performance making the new car actually slower than the old car"

like the article says, they are the same performance as the VII runs higher boost. In any case, its suspension/chassis/brakes that wins races ... NOT power, especially not differences of 1/10th of a second to 100mph !

Old 29 October 2002, 04:45 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Like I aaid the 7 is probably improved overall in several areas. Personally I would buy the 6 and mod the brakes, suspension etc to make it stop and handle better than a 7 with less weight to carry around. All this for less money plus I'd still have the amazing squat looks and presence of the 6.

Sorry but after the aggressive styling of the 6 the 7 is a very big let down. No amount of improvements would make me want to drive a long shoe box.
Old 29 October 2002, 05:00 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

uxg,

whilst we're at it, what food do you like, and whats your favourite colour ..... who is your dream date etc...
Old 01 November 2002, 11:53 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi jackal,thanks for that link.I found it very useful as I am chopping in my Scoob for an Evo.Could'nt make up my mind between the 7 and 6.7 obviously somewhat better car.The problem is that it may be dynamically 15% better but the looks are %75 worse.In black from the front the car looks great(as your photo shows) see a silver from the side and it is truly awful.Could you please answer one thing for me.Did you find the titanium turbo on the 7 significantly cut down lag compared to your 6(or did you have a TME that has a titanium turbo aswell)

Regards,Deep.
Old 01 November 2002, 02:11 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Gents, WADR, how about waiting a few days for detailed info on the new STi to come out - you may be very surprised by the JDM spec. Now, many will want the UK warrantee, but if you can forgo that this car could be an eye opener. IMHO, Iain Litchfield is gonna sell a lot of cars!
Old 01 November 2002, 02:38 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

I've got a VI and couldn't believe the VII when I first saw it but after you've seen a few around in the metal it does grow on you.

I would seriously consider one as a replacement now, except I'm going to buy a 993 instead

Cheers,

Phil
Old 01 November 2002, 06:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

AJBloke,the new JDM is basically the same as the 2000-2002 JDM,What do you think everyone is going to be suprised about?
Lust,I've driven a 993 and a modified Evo 6(PE remap,std exhaust,circa 330BHP)in the last few days.I'd keep the Evo mate!!
Old 01 November 2002, 08:54 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Talking

ha! ha! just noticed this thread

jackal, you REALLY should come and check out your old car when you get chance you will be 'suprised'

by the way mate, i like the 7's too, especially black or gunmetal.
look forward to meeting up some time
Old 02 November 2002, 01:38 AM
t888-sti7
Scooby Regular

Test drove 6TM and 7GSR back to back. 7 definately a lot more friendlier. Did find that in the 6TM, people in front were willing to pull over more for one to pass them more so than the 7. 6 definately for looks, 7 for daily driving.
Old 02 November 2002, 07:04 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Deep, I dunno what info you are going off, but the new JDM STi runs a twin scroll turbo, new ex-mani, and has a raft of suspension improvements, too. 280ps/40.2kg-m and a sweet torque curve are just the numbers up front. It is significatnly different from the export version, and a whole lot quicker (not just straight line).

Then there is the Spec C which just mental.

The Japan site has been updated with the new car's info. Take a look - and yes m8, I have driven one (actually 3).

Cheers
Old 02 November 2002, 10:53 AM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

Hi Deep Singh, mine is about 350ish but there is just something about the 911

I drove a couple and reckon its the sort of car that you will appreciate more as you get to know it.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 03 November 2002, 12:05 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

AJBloke,was not trying to have a dig.Its just that so called improvements on paper d'ont always translate into real life.The STi7(JDM) was advertised as having variable cams,uprated intercooler,sodium filled exhaust etc etc.I can tell you my STi4 went far better than my Sti7 and have some suspicion as to any real jump in performance/ability in the new facelift.This is not a dig at you matey but just a reflection of my experience so far.To put things in context I've owned 4 Scoobies to date,the current incarnations claims on paper have not quite translated into real life.As for the Type C,thats being advertised for £38000 over here and delivers 320 BHP,you could buy a brand newEvo7 and modify it to a safe 380 BHP for that price!!

Lust,you are probably as bad as me when it comes to cars ie always think that the grass is greener on the other side!! The only reason I would buy a Porsche is to pull birds but since I'm married this does'nt apply to me.When I was trying to pull birds I could'nt afford one!! I n all seriousness though I was quite disappointed in the performance of the 993.Now a 993 Turbo would be another matter.....
Old 04 November 2002, 10:05 AM
jackal
Scooby Regular

"As for the Type C,thats being advertised for £38000 over here and delivers 320 BHP,you could buy a brand new Evo7 and modify it to a safe 380 BHP for that price!!"

my EVO VII cost me 25k.. so for a total whopping outlay of £38000 it would be more like 450bhp with bigger turbo

cheers
Old 04 November 2002, 10:18 AM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

"Now a 993 Turbo would be another matter..... "

Stop it! You'll get me into trouble

Cheers,

Phil
Old 04 November 2002, 03:23 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

AJBloke I hope you are not right about the new STi(JDM) because it'll mean that my bank account will take a further unneeded bashing!!
Jackal,I may have mixed up the Type C with the S202 which I've seen advertised for 38k GBP.The S202 does only have 320 BHP.
Lust4,you know you want it!!