Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Move Over!!!! The new MG is coming through........

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2002, 02:09 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MG has today revealed its new high performance sports car named the MG XPower SV. Following development of the original X80 concept, the MG has been radically evolved, is lighter and has increased levels of power with up to 965bhp. So extreme is the performance that all models will be marketed under the MG Sport & Racing XPower brand.

The exterior styling of the two-seater MG sports car owes much to the demands of airflow management required for competition cars. These elements give the car an aggressive and overtly sporting stance implying its potential for high performance. Targeted at the premier driving enthusiast, the new MG XPower SV will become the icon of the MG brand with opportunity for both road and track exploitation.

Peter Stevens, MG Rover Group’s world renowned product design director, previously with McLaren, Lamborghini and Lotus, has been appointed managing director of a new company specially formed to produce the MG XPower SV.

As part of the project’s weight reduction objectives, all body panels are made from lightweight carbon fibre. The flat underfloor and inbuilt front and rear diffusers manage the aerodynamic airflow for high-speed stability. Suspension geometry has been designed in collaboration with Steve Randle, responsible for the dynamic set-up of the McLaren F1 road car.

Rollover protection is provided by a tubular structure designed to comply with current FIA competition specifications. A rigorous development programme including high-speed stability tests at the Nardo circuit in Southern Italy saw the MG XPower SV regularly exceed 200mph (320km/h).

The MG XPower SV is a part of a unique range of products, which will ultimately be available with some of the most extreme levels of road performance ever offered.

MG XPower SV

The MG XPower SV range starts with a car powered by a 326bhp 4.6-litre quad-cam V8 engine. Weight is forecast at 1450kgs, which will provide approximate performance figures of 0-62mph (0-100km/h) in 5.0 seconds and a top speed of around 170mph (273km/h). More specification details will be released during the spring of 2003.

MG XPower SV Club Sport spec

Nearly 70 years ago, MG produced the K3 Magnette – an ultra high-performance supercharged road and track racer. K3 was commissioned and produced for the enthusiastic owner who wanted to drive to a race, compete, win and drive home again.

In keeping with this tradition, the XPower SV Club Sport proposition will allow customers to either buy a complete XPower model ready for road and track or to enhance the specification of their car with competition derived parts.

The XPower SV Club Sport features a more powerful 5.0-litre V8 with 410bhp, a 0-62mph (100km/h) of c4.4 seconds and a top speed limited to 195mph (314km/h).

The car on show at the British International Motor Show is the MG XPower SV Club Sport spec, in this case powered by a special 465bhp Sean Hyland tuned 5.0-litre quad-cam V8 engine. A top speed in excess of 200mph (320km/h) and a 0-60mph (0-100km/h) time of c4.2 seconds is possible. Engines with much higher stages of tune, even with factory approved nitrous oxide injection kits, will be available to produce extreme power outputs.

Typical of the way in which a prospective customer might specify their XPower SV, this car is fitted with Sparco carbon shell racing seats, a cabin-installed spare wheel, custom helmet storage cubbies, four point electrically-locked harnesses and Motec racing instrumentation. Some of the specification of this car will be carried over to the production specification of MG XPower SVs.

MG XPower SV UK prices will start at £65,000.

Commenting on the project, Peter Stevens said: "I’ve been working with a small team of experts and enthusiasts to ensure we produce an MG car that will deliver the ultimate in driving exhilaration. The MG XPower SV is a car with appeal to passionate sports car drivers who will relish its extraordinary racetrack performance characteristics.

"MG is all about having fun, extending the boundaries of excitement and generating visual entertainment for a wider audience. The MG XPower SV delivers this objective in a forceful manner, demonstrating the immense potential for MG."
Old 22 October 2002, 02:13 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

And you should see the pictures, this car is mean....

Unfortunately the pictures are on a password protected site, and having no idea how to post them in the first place, if you would like to see the pictures someone will have to help me.
Old 22 October 2002, 02:15 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

More here

- Jon

[Edited by scoob_dood - 10/22/2002 2:16:51 PM]
Old 22 October 2002, 02:24 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I started reading this and thought it was a wind up. Looks a bit like a TT , but with a longer bonnet. Shame I havent got £65k lying around.
Old 22 October 2002, 02:47 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice looking motor, although maybe a bit too much like a max powered TT. However, prices start at £65k for the base model and it's only .2 of a second quicker than my sti7 on the 0-60 (slower once I've got the ppp installed). Bit pricey innit?

I think the real one to get will be the top of the range one with 965bhp - no mention of a price on that one though

Iain
Old 22 October 2002, 03:09 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

I want one!!!

Looks like a mean version of a TT/Z3 Hybrid, but much more masculine. Bring it on!!
Old 22 October 2002, 03:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

What a beast:

[Edited by Dream Weaver - 10/22/2002 3:10:52 PM]
Old 22 October 2002, 03:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

And how cool is this:

Old 22 October 2002, 03:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks awesome but BMW Z3 esq slats. Audi TT esq roof and elise esq ****. Is it an original idea u think?
Old 22 October 2002, 03:37 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

that is one mean looking beauty.

shunty
Old 22 October 2002, 04:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

nice - but why does the boot remind me of a Vauxhall Tigra ???
Old 22 October 2002, 04:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Bio

Try and find anything that is "designed" and is original. Everything that is created by the mind takes inspirational cue's from everywhere.

I love it
Old 22 October 2002, 04:42 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol for a starting price of 65K i would expect it to be designed n original! I get your point thou.
Old 22 October 2002, 05:33 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

The area round the scuttle & windscreen looks very TT Supra to me

Awesome none the less You do wonder how many of these projects were buried under BMW ownership, especially the forthcoming RWD V8 ZT
Old 22 October 2002, 05:36 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

Absolutely awesome cars.I'm glad to see that MG-Rover have finally got their act together and have designed cars that are appealing and nothing short of awesome.I think MG-Rover in the future maybee pushed to superstar status in the car industry....trully awesome concepts!

Toad.
Old 22 October 2002, 05:40 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

There hasn't been anything automotive that is actually really new since Issigonis's brain-child ... the Mini.

Everything FWD since is a clone or variation on that original line of thought. All the rest has been done before. No such thing as a "new" car. Only recently manufactured ones ...

Bit of a tool that SV MG ... bang goes my licence ... was I really going that fast occifer ....
Old 22 October 2002, 05:50 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Isn't this the old Qvale Mangusta underneath?

Hardly developed as much as bought in and redesigned.....

...twice at least, and I still don't like it, Peter Stevens is one of my all time fave designers, but this, well, looks like he tried *too* hard.

Old 22 October 2002, 06:36 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmmm.........i can't help thinking it looks like a Vauxhal Calibra that been "Max powered".
Cheers
Mike
P.s Rover build badly made old cars!
Old 22 October 2002, 06:46 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I quite like it.
Just saw it on the local news and the exhaust note is GORGEOUS.
Old 22 October 2002, 06:58 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shame it's still a Rover!

Bogie
Old 22 October 2002, 07:01 PM
Simon220
Scooby Regular

I seen it on the local news too. Sounds amazing.

It even has a factory option of Nos apparently

I like the helmets

Si
Old 22 October 2002, 07:08 PM
Simon220
Scooby Regular

>Shame it's still a Rover!

>Bogie

What a silly thing to say.

'shame the imprezas are still a subaru , like the old justy ?'

Si
Old 22 October 2002, 07:09 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice
Old 22 October 2002, 07:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

@ Simon220
Old 23 October 2002, 03:27 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

65k for a rover... wait and pick a 2nd hand one up down the auctions for £895 with a years MOT..
Old 23 October 2002, 08:42 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Shrewed move Alpine ... can you get me one ... oh, make that three ... Shrood ... Shrued .... where's my spell wossname ...

More seriously though, although I assume your comment was meant as a joke, that's really good advice when buying most fairly new cars say 6 months or a year or two older. Done it several times with cars still under manufacturer's warranty. A visit to your nearest major car auctions is a real eye-opener for the first time visitor. Try it some day - you may buy your next car that way such are the huge savings to be had with this kind of purchase. Any method to avoid paying well over the odds for our UK motoring is well worthy of consideration .... good luck ...
Old 23 October 2002, 09:58 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Thats a great looking car - can see atleast 3 other designs in it, but thats not an insult to it.
Old 23 October 2002, 10:24 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

Prior to my Scoobs, all my previous cars were Rovers (220 Coupe Turbo etc). So pleased that MG/Rover are producing enthusiasts cars again. The current range of 'Z' cars is a great start and this new coupe just rocks - hard as nails and then some.

Batmobile springs to mind, actually..........

DP.
Old 24 October 2002, 06:30 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Quite shameful people don’t recognise the rover heritage

Just speak to any of the caterhams that are flying passed your scoobys on the next track day, to find out they have rover lumps in them
And the 6R4 oh come on please, to say its only a rover when they have created a car so insane it makes the Scooby rally works car look like a buss.

Id take a Scooby every time (just think ther is something cool about scoobys), but there is nothing wrong with the rover brand, more power to them I say.
Old 24 October 2002, 08:46 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

If a few of the contributions on some motoring enthusiast sites are a reliable guide, then there are still some who have that old 1970s/Allegro/Red Robbo mindset ...

Things have moved on with MG-Rover, REALLY moved on particularly so since severing the R & D starved days of the BMW fiasco. What this MG-R outfit have achieved in so short a timescale and with very limited resources has to be considered quite simply as remarkable.

On the sporting scene, their Le Mans efforts and particularly their BTCC ones whereby they achieved winning successes in a really rudely short space of time with the ZS180 based cars astounded many shrewd judges. Considering the might of other much more powerful and resourceful world car manufacturers whos efforts drew a blank or achieved success after a much longer period, then MG-Rs achievements really are remarkable.

On the current model range, if you have the time or get the chance, have a "test drive" in one of the MG-Z cars .... particularly the MG ZS180. Even straight out of your Scoobys and with those cars still fresh in your mind, I'd be surprised if you are not at least a little impressed. I think it was Jason Plato (or someone of equal stature) who said after testing the MG ZS180 a while back, that it was the finest FWD car he'd ever driven ..... praise indeed.

For those still of this "mindset", suggest a good idea to keep an open mind and reserve judgement until you can really judge for yourself and not rely on the misguided second hand words of others. One or two of which have been known to frequent scoobynet ...

Happy "Safety Fast" MotorinG

Quick Reply: Move Over!!!! The new MG is coming through........