Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Type "R" driver would like to say hi

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2002, 10:16 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gang
Just like to say to everyone, names Mega i own a new CTR. I would have loved to buy a Scooby but i hate the "Bug eyed" new one. I love the "R" but you need to be in the mood for it.

Bye the way, has anyone here upset an Lotus Elise driver? I thought that their little plastic antpot was "Unbeatable". But i have beaten 2 in the last few weeks.
Cheers
Mike
Old 19 October 2002, 11:04 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say that i beat one .. but did upset an Elise driver once.

We went round a roundabout and onto a dual carriageway side by side... he floored it and pretty much left me for dead. He was rather upset when the Vti i was driving overtook him further down the straight (once i eventually caught up with him that is).

Must admit, a friend has an Elise and it is a fabulous little motor (though a bit impractical).
Old 20 October 2002, 01:51 AM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

Noooooo MEGA strikes SCOOBYNET too,

If any of you guys read the Lotus BBS you'll know what I mean!

:O) :O) :O)
Old 20 October 2002, 09:30 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Mega, I enjoy your work on the MGF board.
Old 20 October 2002, 01:10 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys
But look i am not looking to upset anyone here. I have the up most respect for the Scooby and Evos of this world. You guys and girls used your head when deciding which car to buy. The MGers and Lotus people didn't!

The Elise is ground brecking in many ways but the Hot Hatchs have caught up now. Only a Elise costing £28,000 can just stay ahead. You can buy a CTR like i did for £17,000. Lotus need to understand that the world has moved on since 94.

They had a number of years of grace because Ford etc stopped building Hot Hatchs and we where forced to go thought the "*** peroid". Thats well over now and why in Gods name would you buy a crappy built car that can be beaten by a very well built car thats £10,000 cheaper?

The MGers are worst still, they see those warned over badly built ZS/ZR cars as something good. Did you "Watchdog"? one poor guy is on his forth V6 Motor! Their build Q is very bad and you can't even get the parts. I belive that the mangerment of MGR are more intersted in the Land value of Longbridge and investing in oversees factorys.

I brought British, as in a Honda built in a factory built here.
Anyway thanks for the wellcome!
Cheers
Mike.
Old 20 October 2002, 03:46 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Angry

**YAWN** so Mega has decided to post on ScoobyNet after wasting people's time on the Elise, MGF BBS, etc.

I hope your a little bit more consttructive and less narrow minded than you Elise BBS posts!!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 20 October 2002, 05:48 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

How the **** did you get 17k together for a motor when your grasp on the English language is so minimal.......

breking = breaking
forth = fourth
oversees = overseas
wellcome = welcome

I will let mangerment go as a typo.

Yours faithfully,

The spelling police

[Edited by father_jack - 10/20/2002 5:48:42 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2002, 07:37 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

BEWARE - Scoobynetters - "Scouse-MIKE" AKA Mega has arrived - no known cure for this virus ....... you'll see ....

Whilst he's over here on scoobynet, LOTUS, MG et al enthusiasts will be doing cartwheels with glee ..... so meantime; enjoy ...

P.S. His spelling has actually improved ..... no kidding

P.P.S. 17K ... most everybody can access such a sum ... it's called CREDIT ... how many have actually paid for their loan/cars yet? Are people better off now .... or simply have access to bigger debt?

Happy MotorinG ....
Old 20 October 2002, 08:00 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

HI John
Hows life?
Paid for my CTR right there and then at the dealership. Only waited 3 days to get my "R" as well. The MG BB has gone very quite, because the "Taliban" moved to Jerrys site. May they all enjoy each others company.

What must **** them off big time is the fact that MGR are now selling them down the river. Selling off Longbridge, importing the Tata, buying into China, Poland. Mean time fogging off there good customers with warmed over badly built crap old cars.

Their sales are falling fast now and i wonder if they are going to pull the plug? Yes the X80 is a show stopper but at £65,000 each they won't sell many. Lotus not far behind them, i am getting very pissed off with "JPS elise" or "Gold leaf Elise". Milking Lotus history instead of improving the car.

Mine you i hear that they are dumping MGR motors for Toyota, good move!
Cheers
Mike
Old 20 October 2002, 11:11 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Mega,

Welcome to the bored! it looks as though you bring a bit of 'baggage' with you. Someone as famous as you must have something good to say. We look forward to your contributions over the next week.

Cheers

PS Agreed 100% with what you say about Rover (class cannot be bought overnight with a bit of branding).
Old 21 October 2002, 07:15 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

MGJohn I always pay cash for my cars, I don't buy what I can't afford (apart from my mortgage) !!

Go and fix yer motor
Old 21 October 2002, 06:19 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

A-P ... Maybe you and many others DO actually pay cash. Sensible way to go particularly if you, like me, ALWAYS negotiate a healthy discount or walk away if they dont want to play. But, fact is that many people, even those paying cash, have accumulated debts on loans by one means or other.

Recent studies have shown that people here in the UK carry more individual debt than anywhere else in Europe. AND, it's increasing. That does not include Mortgage debt ...

How many people do you know who actually OWN their house? Not those who have a Mortgage/Endowment/Loan/W.H.Y debt to service .... not many I guess.

So, I again pose the question ... are people really better off in recent years (decades?), or simply carry much larger debts?
Old 21 October 2002, 06:25 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I should add that I always buy my cars at a discount - this means no part exchanges are ever involved having disposed of my used car privately. Done this way, the UK car buying punter does stand a chance of winning on BOTH swings and roundabouts ....

ALWAYS at least try to sell your old car privately and negotiate a healthy discount on the new one whatever you buy. Done this way, you will pay less for your motoring.
Old 21 October 2002, 06:29 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

P.S. A-P

Took your advice and fixed my motor - both turbos come on full song simultaneously now ....
Old 21 October 2002, 06:40 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Most people seem to be happy living in a lot of debt these days, afraid it's not for me though.
Who is the most stupid, me for saving hard and denying myself things to get what I want for cash or people who live off other peoples credit...........Don't answer that
Old 21 October 2002, 08:38 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

you should take your CTR to a track day and really find out what the Elises are about.Driven well they damn quick,I've been past several but they will have all been driven by guys out there learning.I got slaughtered by the experienced drivers though.FWD cars are easier to drive faster,simple enough concept and mullering one on the road means naff all in my book

BTW,I've gone past a CTR in a 147 with 20 horses less,but so what? proves nothing
Old 21 October 2002, 09:19 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

My dear chap
A car that has little pull after 80 MPH is not something that i would want. Yes on the right circult in the right hands i get beaten, but on the Queens highway i find Seats more trouble to beat!

I think it was the look of horror on the guys face when i pissed him off on the rainford bypass, with both my nephews waving to him!

Lotus i think have smelt the coffee on this one. They know that the would be buyer is going to ask "THE" qusetion.

Am i going to buy this load of underpowered plastic, thats no good day to day, will pissed on by CTRs or Scoobys. It will require shed loads of cash spent on it and will lose loads of value. It has NO ABS or Airbag and we live in a world where "**** happens".

Or
Shall i buy that nice, very well built Scooby/CTR and save loads of cash, have a nice day to day car thats hassle free.

You,I and LOTUS know the answer!
Mega
Old 21 October 2002, 09:41 PM
Simon220
Scooby Regular

A lotus elise is only 118bhp with the fastest being 160bhp.

No wonder a CTR will beat it at top end.

Si
Old 21 October 2002, 11:24 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Mega

Welcome to scoobynet

I have to disagree with you on the Elises (not forgetting the Exiges as well!). I run sprint meetings, which are budget motorsport events, one car at a time, one lap of a circuit/airfield, fastest wins. Simple enough!

The Elise is not a straight line weapon, it was never designed to be. It ain't that hard to beat in a straight drag.

Stick in some corners and you've got a different game. The Elises are seriously quick - a good driver on a good circuit would leave hot hatches in the dust. At the last event I ran, an exige set the fastest time of ANY car on road legal tyres, with only seven replicas getting close to it - the nearest hot hatch was about six seconds (on a 90 second lap!!!) slower. Believe me this is a BIG margin, bearing in mind the hot hatch was probably quicker in a straight drag.

Just MHO of course based on a whole bunch of actual events and times

No question though the biggest difference between cars is often driver ability...
Old 22 October 2002, 06:30 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

My dear chap
please note that i drive on the road! If i wanted a track dat tool than i would buy on Ex- Formual Ford car! Look i don't want to keep on about this but facts are facts.

The Elise is unpowered, badly made and requires lots of TLC from dealerships. I remember that "Autocar" ran one afew years ago and the blooody suspension came apart on them!

Buy a Scooby or CTR, enjoy day to day and enjoy ease of ownership!
Cheers
Mike
Old 22 October 2002, 07:26 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not disagreeing, I drive a scoob

But why do you assume just because you don't want a quick track car nobody else does either ???

In addition, I know plenty of country lanes with enough corners that an Elise/Exige would be quicker than either the scoob or the hot hatch. Like you point out, at the traffic lights grand prix the Elise/Exige would lose out. Horses for courses etc.
Old 23 October 2002, 12:00 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

from what i know a elise will keep up with hot hatches from 0-100 mph

I dont think you really need to go above 80 on most roads to enjoy a car anyway.
That is unless you live on motorways or dual carriage ways (which make for preety boring driving anway)
Old 24 October 2002, 01:39 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

LOL at Mega. I've been following his threads on the EliseBBS too. Funny that he's infected other boards, too.

FWIW, the Elise is quicker than a CTR up to around 80mph (even if you ignore bends), which is as fast as it is sane to go on public roads without killing yourself, or worse, someone else. And it's faster round a track, too. And more fun. And it looks nicer.

There's probably more plastic in a CTR than an Elise, too

Still, what do I know... I'm selling my Scoob to buy a Passat diesel, as there's no fun to be had on public roads any more. And the Elise is mostly used for track days. Strangely enough, I've yet to see a CTR at a track day.
Old 24 October 2002, 01:57 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

jeez - where are all these morons coming from ?

I had an elise - it was a stunning car. But people passed me all the time. They passed me on the motorway, they passed me at the traffic lights, they passed me on the other carriage travelling in the other direction and thousands of cars - yes, even seats, passed me while I was parked at the side of the road. I'm sure that at least one of them posted on here how he had passed an Elise.

It was swapped for an integra type-r - and guess what ? people still passed me all the time.

That was swapped for a audi diesel estate and a race car. And... shockingly enough people pass me in the audi (and I get passed the race car too, but hey we've all got to start somewhere)

For sheer driving enjoyment the only thing better than two up in the Elise up to Scotland for a couple of weeks, was two up on me Honda to the Alps. None of the other cars I've owned has come close. Ive been in faster vehicles - the race car is faster round a track, the Honda is quite insanely quick, but for driving enjoyment I'd go back to the elise.

No car is perfect, but the elise does what it does exceptionally well - a classic.

Old 25 October 2002, 12:29 PM
Ali-T
Scooby Regular

Hi Mega,

We meet again!

Got bored with Honda-R then?

Just popped on here to ask if I should consider swapping the CTR for a WRX with the price drop.

Then some sod reminded me about the RX8 and I came over all dewy eyed and slobbered on the keyboard!!!

As to the Elise. Its fast. So is the CTR. But both are VERY different cars otherwise. An Elise is far more of an experience to drive. The cost is due to eth unique construction and all credit to Lotus for getting back to basics.