Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VR4 GALANT ? ANY ONE DRIVEN ONE????

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2002, 10:38 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did go from a scoob to a VR4, the old scoob was a 94 UK turbo so a little boring to look at but great to drive.
The VR4 is a top looker, built well with a few toys and after 6 months its grown on me, it gets quite a bit of attention as well which i never thought it would have when I bought it, dont mind the auto box, suprisingly good to slow down with approaching bends and handles ok, dosent feel as fast as the scoob but kept up with a M3 (never raced one before so dont know what a scoob would be like), a little less MPG than the scoob, more on insurance (Group 20), don't regret going from a scoob but would have a bug-eye any day

The US are absolutley mad on galants

[Edited by LeeMac - 10/5/2002 10:46:30 AM]
Old 04 October 2002, 06:18 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

I have been offered one in px against my MY98STI wagon
its a p reg 2.5 twin turbo auto estate has any one driven one or seen one go??
Old 04 October 2002, 06:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Bloke at work has one, very nice. Not super fast, but fast, big and plush.
Old 04 October 2002, 06:47 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

The VR4 is pretty quick, depends if you are looking at the 5 speed tiptronic or the manual.
0-60 in 5.something, loads of body roll though.
The older ones have a 2.0 turbo charged evo engine, the later have a 2.5 turbo.
Old 04 October 2002, 07:23 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Calling LeeMac, Calling LeeMac, I believe he went for an impreza to a VR4...

Think he said the scooby handled better and sounded better, but the VR4 has the pace with space!
Old 04 October 2002, 07:46 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Doc, i had one on test for a week (Estate - tiptronic gearbox) awsome bit of kit, quiet, restrained, no body knows what it is, and goes like the wind. As an added bonus theres shed loads of room in the back
Old 04 October 2002, 07:49 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

I can feel my self being pulled to the dark side!!

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2002, 12:42 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Drove one of the tiptronic saloons as I was thinking of getting one myself. 2.5 twin turbo does things at 2000-2500 rpm whilst a scoob is still in bed, and I quite liked the sound, although it wasn't loud. Generally a nice engine, although it didn't go anything like as fast as it should have for 280bhp - in a head to head against a MY98 UK turbo, it was noticeably slower. Hated the tiptronic box - it seemed to think about it for a second before changing gear. The handling was odd, do the wrong thing and it was all over the place, but set it up right and use the AYC and it was great: I felt it was probably fantastic AYC making up for a mediocre chassis. Other than that? Q car - yes. As much fun as a scoob - no. Surprisingly, I thought it was less refined than a bugeye in many ways. The other problem with the one I drove had a japanese touch screen TV with integrated climate control, and I don't know the japanese for "demist". And being an twin turbo import, insurance quotes were almost double what I got on a UK scoob.

My verdict - I had once intended to buy one, then I drove it, and promptly bought a bug eye. Not to say it's a bad car, just not for me.

Don't know if that helps?
Old 05 October 2002, 11:50 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

I've been driving a VR-4 Type S for around five months now, having had a twin-turbo Legacy RS-B for the previous 2½ years. It took a couple of months to grow to love it but, now that I've got it set up the way I like it, it is an impressive machine. Ultimately not as quick at the top end as the Legacy, but much smoother. Auto box is good once you learn to use it properly and gear changes are still much quicker than a manual. Change the gear oil for Dextron III and it sharpens up the response. As Lee says, fuel consumption is worse than a Subaru but it does have a bigger engine, even if reputedly the same power. An unexpected bonus was that people move over on motorways to let me past - and I don't drive aggressively. That never used to happen in the Legacy .... You can't compare it to an Impreza, they're in different markets.

Brian
Old 05 October 2002, 10:46 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Must say i'm not a lover of the estate, a bit hearse like.
Old 05 October 2002, 11:56 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

They are pretty good cars, that do go well, although no flying machine. I drove an import one years ago, before the UK models were available here. All round pretty good, although the AYC did spoil the fun a bit.
The tiptronic was crap. When trying to change manually, it took ages. You almost had to allow 2-3 secs for a change to actually take place after you had pushed the lever. Spoiled the whole thing, and may have well never bothered adding this feature.
Best just to leave the box to itself in D.
The traffic branch cops over here use them, and from what Ive heard, they eat gearboxes at a terrible rate. Obviously this is partly becasue the cops are crap drivers, despite what some training they have.
Old 06 October 2002, 12:55 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

If you use in in tiptronic mode you get a longer rev range than leaving it in Drive otherwise it changes to early.