Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY00 > M3 > P1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 03:33 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about ditching the M3 for a P1. Anyone think this is daft ? I'm in 'just considering' mode at the moment. Nothing definite.

I miss the practicality of the scoob, its AWD in the inclement weather and the handling. Not to mention all the go faster bits I can bolt-on!

Question: Is the P1 a group 20 car like the M3 ? Just wondering what the diff in premiums would be.
Old 24 September 2002, 03:39 PM
donaldm
Scooby Regular

HI ya,

Never driven an M3, but I got a p1 just over 2 months ago, its the nuts, luvin it luvin it' grin factro every time, besides, a bmw, come on, you'll get a reputation for tailgating, and undertaking..!!!!
Old 24 September 2002, 03:51 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Darren,
Are we talking current model M3 ?? If so then i would say no way but if it is the older one then it's a close call.

I had my P1 for 9 months before i traded it for a new MY01 WRX Wagon. You can't compare the two really, the P1 was awesome IMHO but i have a large dog and the P1 was just not practicle.

I know what you mean about M3's being a bit tail happy as with most powerfull rear wheel drive cars and i know with the cold wet weather on its way which one id rather be sitting in on the way home.

You know you want too....

Ali

Old 24 September 2002, 03:56 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Ali, I've got an M3 EVO (e36) but the Scoob feels the safer car.

Don't need a wagon just yet - happy with 2 doors for me and the girlfriend. No kids, no dogs(!)

Old 24 September 2002, 04:05 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

The P1 is the only car i have ever driven that you can just get in and drive pretty much as fast as you like with virtually no drama. Yes the Evo 7 is quicker point to point if your up for it but sometimes your not and its then that the P1 comes in to its own.

Don't get me wrong i used to love my rear wheel drive cossie but sometimes you just don't want to be constantly applying opposite lock on ever wet roundabout. Sometimes its just nice to be able to go round it at the speed you choose.

The P1 gets my vote over the M3 and if i could afford both my WRX and my old P1 i would be one happy bunny! Going to have mine PPP'd soon which will hopefully give me back some of the shove in the back i miss.

Good Luck with new purchase.....

Ali

[Edited by AliWrx - 9/24/2002 4:07:16 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 04:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Darren(M3) said: "No kids, no dogs(!)"

Eh, post up a picture of the girlfriend and we'll be the judge of that!!

He, he just joking with you mate

I personally would far rather have a P1 over the old M3 but as someone pointed out if it was P1 or new M3 that would be a lot closer but I'd probably have the BMW.

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 9/24/2002 4:21:56 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 04:23 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy - don't wanto to get into that Hornet's nest of P1 vs new M3 - in my eyes they're both different animals entirely.

Besides, with the P1, I can chuck my gear on the backseat and not worry about the leather getting damaged etc...
Old 24 September 2002, 04:30 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1 you know you want to.

If youre looking for a v low miler immaculate car I know of one for sale privately.
Old 24 September 2002, 04:33 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Wilf - thanks for the offer but not in 'committed mode' yet - still weighing things up.

What insurance group IS the P1 ?
Old 24 September 2002, 04:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Totally agree Darren, if we wanted to do that a quick search would find about 30 threads from the past 2 months

I was just stating my preference. I'm an avid scooby fan and aspire to P1 ownership but I have to be honest and say the M3 is to die for, especially when its kitted out (costly as that is !!)
Old 24 September 2002, 04:47 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Darren P1 is insurance group 20.

Old 24 September 2002, 04:47 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

grp 20, I'm afraid.
Old 24 September 2002, 04:48 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

AliWRX - too quick for me!
Old 24 September 2002, 05:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

P1 is grp 20
Old 25 September 2002, 02:10 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

2 different cars offering very different things. I would have the M3 all day long as for the driving I do its a more suited, the only Impreza I would consider swapping for is the P1 but as much as I love the car its just a bit ott for me. I like subtle styling and no big spoilers.

BTW - I have an M3!!, so not biased....much!!. I do love the Impreza, lots but the interior just keeps putting me off every time I drive one, Iam not just after a drivers car I need a mile muncher with comfy leather etc etc, the Impreza is just to "go fast" orientated for me, I would get one if I worked local and didnt do 30k a year!!!, but as much as the M3 gets slated it is still a very capable car indeed! - it gives the brown pants moments when required and smiles for miles!!
Old 25 September 2002, 03:59 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments Tom

I work locally and did very little mileage, and have tons of country roads around to exploit the P1. The AWD also makes sense over the RWD M3 as we get so much bloody bad weather in the North East. Anyone who's driven an M3 in the snow/rain will know exactly what I'm talking about!

As for the styling - yes the interior is not a patch on the M3 with its leather and climate control etc, but I kinda like my MY00's interior. Functional is pro'lly the best word to describe it. As for the exterior styling - the P1 looks great in my opinion. But it'll need 18" OZ's on it. Which brings me to another point...

I'm guessing but hopefully most P1 owners will be car enthusiasts and I'm hoping most cars for sale will have at least one of the following:

18" OZ's
SS Downpipe
Prodrive Brake Upgrade

-DV
Old 25 September 2002, 04:18 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Indeed, the M3 in anything but bone dry weather is ......welll, ....a challenge!!!

I recently had one of those little Caterhams sat up my **** all the way up the A30 on a cold wet Sunday morning, as soon as we hit a roundabout that went into a dual carraigeway he booted it as did I fully expecting him to........

Well, he won. Why?, because I put the M3 so sideways I could have stuck my arm out the window and opened the boot!! - I absolutely shat myself!!. Iam the first to admit it, I like to think Iam a fairly good driver but that morning my head was up my ****!. I only just missed him with the start of my slide!, then he was gone!. Once I had fitted a new pair of pants I went after him eventually catching him stuck behind traffic, we both headed towards a small country lane (actually the road where they have just found Milly Dowlers body) and he was gone, no two ways about it they are ******* quick!!!, it handled like it was dry!!!

The M3 is a great car, no mistake, I love mine but in the wet I drive like a girl, the car has to much torque and not enough grip in the wet, probably the same as any other rwd **** quick car. But in the dry......that noise of the exsaust is just sublime!!

The P1 is simply awesome, no other word for it!. I love them, everything about them is right, the colour, the styling etc etc.

Hope you enjoy it Darren!!!, I know you will!!
Old 25 September 2002, 04:37 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tom - I bet every M3(E36) owner has a scary story to tell about losing the back end at some point. I remember a dark wet night with an old, old impreza behind me. We both knew the single road we were on was about to branch into 2 lanes. I put my foot down to get away from him thinking I'd have him for breakfast, but got into a bit of a tank-slapper trying to put the power down. Emabarassingly the Impreza creeped past with a smile on his face as I desperately snaked up the road in 3rd, DOH! None of those problems with the new M3 though and traction control.

Gonna give the dealer a shout and see if he's got any P1's coming in. See if I can have a quick blast in one. Even if I keep it a year, it'll give me my Impreza fix I've been missing.

[Edited by Darren (M3) - 9/25/2002 4:38:16 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 03:27 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Try Listers Of Worcester they have just what your looking for.
Old 26 September 2002, 04:05 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

a decent powered caterham is a lot more tail happy than a E46 BMW but the difference is the car tells you so much more about whats going on, i.e. when you're about to power-on oversteer.. so far easier to drive at the limits.

steering feel/feel through bum on the M3 is appalling - IMO no amount of leather or engine noise can make up for that

to me its a fast 3 series with gorgeous engine, NOT a true drivers car

P1 or evo6/7 much better fun

but M3 is very desirable as a work car or for touring
Old 26 September 2002, 04:33 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sold my original MY00 to Listers. Whoever got it, got a BARGAIN.

Dark Blue Mica
Gold Prodrive 17" Wheels
PPP
Prodrive Handling Pack
A/C
Scoobysport downpipe and centre
Prodrive backbox (to keep noise down)
MP3 player, infinity speakers huge alpine amp
V*** DCU

I really miss her now, hence the need for a P1.
Old 26 September 2002, 04:41 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Hi Jackal,

SO a true drivers car is what?, a Caterham?, A Westy?, dare I say a Subaru?

I know what your saying about the feeling but saying its just a pretty car with a decent engine is a daft, really daft.

Dont want to start this entire M3 thing again but your description is unfair, there is alot more to the M3 than just a good engine, ok, yes it has all the modern stability toys but switch the DSC off and it turns into a bit of a beastie, it was Tiff Needel that described it as a drivers car so I think I will agree with him, he has driven a few motors in his time!

I agree with everything else you say though!!
Old 26 September 2002, 05:13 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Tom,

Something with more focus, invlovement and tactility than the M3

Don't get me wrong, i think its a stupendous car, beautifully made and extremely desirable with drop-dead gorgeous looks but it is what it is ........ only problem is the magazines hyped it up to be an ultimate performance/sports/drivers car, something that after driving it, i dont agree it is. To me the 330ci makes more sense 'cos it doesn't try, or rather you don't expect it to be anything more than it is, ie. a luxury "sporting" barge.

hence, i really dont think there's much crossover between something like a P1 and the E46 M3. If someone wants a car for teh purposes that teh P1 delivers one, then thats very different criteria to what teh M3 delivers and vice-versa.

P1 versus EVO perhaps
M3 versus RS4 perhaps

but when you drive M3 and P1 you realise they dont really belong on same shopping list

all IMHO of course
Old 26 September 2002, 05:24 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I absolutely agree - the two cars cant be compared in the same league becasue they arnt!

Yep - I have to say that your right, for raw involvment the Scoobies and Evo's etc etc are miles ahead but as you say, thats not what the M3 is about!

Nice to talk to someone who agrees that the cars cant be compared!

Good comparison with the RS4!