Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

K plate Nova - respect

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 10:44 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Continuing along this long line of "beaten by" (which incidentally and oddly, I started by the beating Honda S2000 thread )

Saw an oldish looking beast coming up behind me tonight, and you know when someone is shifting in the dark I decided to let it rip, but this thing caught me up in traffic. Saw the outline of an oldish blue Nova... Started to laugh hilariously in the mirror and then tried to punish him. Oh no.

Bugger kept up I had to give him respect, with the thumb up out the window, as he didn't try any sneaky moves and stayed off my ****. Having said that, there was no way he had the power to pass, and I did get a little distance. All straight stuff too

Was going to have a chat at the lights but they went green My scoob aint slow either nor is the driver MY99 with a full decat, and go faster wing

Any Nova forums I can find it? Plain blue, no gay alloys, just sounded a bit fruity. Any ideas?! (praying it had a calibra turbo lump)

MB
Old 27 August 2002, 10:52 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Ideas?
Yeah Take your handbrake off.

David
Old 27 August 2002, 10:54 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

A lad near me has got a nova with a 2.0 16v red top engine in and its prett rapid.... BUT its a nova, oh and the nearest sight of a corner it nearly falls over with fright....

They dont handle to well nova's...!!

Dan
Old 27 August 2002, 10:56 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

16 valve lump would be enough to keep up if your Scoob is standard. 150/160 bhp in a car that weighs about 900 kilos with no 4wd losses, a Calibra Turbo engined one would waste you in a straight line (once rolling)

Old 27 August 2002, 11:00 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

turn key in ignition...that unfamiliar noise you are now hearing should help next time..
Old 27 August 2002, 11:00 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave,

I did check it It was one of those "what the ****" is going on moments!"

Did squeal a hell of a lot on the roundabout it caught me up on, where I could have gone twice the speed I was doing

MB
Old 28 August 2002, 10:16 AM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

You may find it here http://www.migweb.co.uk
Old 28 August 2002, 12:43 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Standard novas handle very well in my opinion, a few years ago i had a gsi nova and i didnt loose many races but with a huge 2.0l engine in them handling is lost.
Old 28 August 2002, 01:18 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Old 28 August 2002, 02:47 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Yeah, with the standard factory engines in them, Nova's handle very well as standard and even better with some tweaks.

I had a 1.3SR for 4 years when I was 18 and then sold it and got a 1.4 SRi for 2 years after that. No problems with the handling, but they were both far from standard and had uprated suspension, so were like go-karts.

But that was a few years back...

However, just drop a big(ger) engine in there and don't touch owt and it completely f*cks the handling up, too much power, extra weight and standard chassis/suspension is just not gonna work.

But, if you actually do the conversion properly and get the chassis plate kit (welded on), which stiffens up the whole car and then get some "proper" suspension on there then they do handle well, even with the big(ger) engine in.

I know a few people with larger engined Nova's and if you actually do the conversion properly and don;t just drop a different engine in then they are great.

I've driven a couple of 2.0 litre 16v Nova's and they are bl00dy quick and they do handle, although if you *really* push them they will understeer a bit. On the whole though a good cheap car with decent handling and great performance.

One lad I know has a 2.5 litre V6 engine in and that is *really* fast, but handling is lethal to say the least...
Old 28 August 2002, 03:20 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep - bu it is a Nova at the end of the day

MB - must get a skyline...
Old 28 August 2002, 03:39 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

LOL

True, but back when I was 18 they were a good car.

Seems that the Saxo has now taken over as the "new" Nova...
Old 28 August 2002, 04:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Disagree, I say the "106" is the new nova
Old 28 August 2002, 04:46 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

No way - Saxo or Corsa - no doubt.

Old 28 August 2002, 05:03 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

LOL

Dream on Saxoboy!

The fact that Saxo's are very cheap and have free insurance meant that it was the number 1 choice for the younger generation and as such there are now a LOT of them about.

Nova's are old hat now, so they needed to move with the times and the Saxo seems to have captured their attention.

Some facts & figures for you...

Total no' of UK supplied 106 GTi's - approx 5,500 (end of 2001)

Total no' of Uk supplied Saxo VTR/S's - approx 32,000 (end of 2001)

*(these are from the start of manufacture, both in 1996)

Spot the difference!!!

That's why everywhere you look there is a Saxo to be seen and don't forget that the figures above are just for the VTR & VTS, so God knows how many Saxo's there are in total when we start to include things like the Westcoast and the other 1.0, 1.1 & 1.4 models in the figures!

Citroen must have made a bl00dy fortune out of Saxo's though...

[Edited by Rich D - 8/28/2002 5:05:17 PM]
Old 28 August 2002, 05:58 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

The saxo is a cl*torus car, every c*nt has one!!

Soz for the language!
Old 28 August 2002, 08:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I must admit the Saxo does seem to be more popular but then people often ask why I have a scooby because the are 'so common' The scooby is just a victim of its own success/abilities......you can see where I'm going with this can't you........so is the Saxo

The only flaw in your comparison is the inclusion of the VTR of which there are loads and loads more than the VTS. Stats for the GTI/VTS would be similar I suspect and if it had been around longer working the quicksilver or ralley (VTR equivilant) into the equation would have helped the saxo's case too. Despite their age/image I'd still have a VTS/GTI if I could afford to have one alongside the scooby.....I would not have a nova however, just couldn't live with the image of being a 'Nova Boy' <shudder>
Old 28 August 2002, 08:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

On the subject of making a fortune when I was buying the VTS the dealer kept trying to get me to go for a VTR instead which I thought was very strange. I concluded they must make a better markup on it cause saying it's snapping at the heels of the VTS is just boll0cks!
Old 28 August 2002, 11:39 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, I am only counting mk2 106's here, as the Saxo was launched at roughly the same time as the mk2, so it's a fairer comparison.

As for including mk2 Rallye's, that won't help your case much, as they were a limited run and there are only about 500 of them in the UK.

Even including Quicksilver's won't do too much to the combined total as they weren't launched until '99 and there are not a massive amount of them about, certainly less of them than there are GTi's, so the total is still small in comparison to Saxo's.

They are however a victim of their own success in a way.

The Peugeot was always more expensive, had a different spec and was never offered with free insurance, hence why it is still not that common. The Rallye was never meant to be a VTR equivalent and is a totally different kind of car.

Wheras Citroen (owned by Peugeot anyway) played a slightly different game and priced their cars lower, had both the VTR & VTS (similar to Nova SR/SRi & GTE/GSi models) to appeal to a wider market. Then with the cheapo finance and free insurance, the young lads just went mad and snapped them up.

So you see, the Saxo is successful as it is now the best selling small car in the UK, ever!

I preferred the exclusivity of the Pug... oh and the leather!

p.s. If I have my way, I'll have a "common" Scooby too soon!
Old 29 August 2002, 10:03 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The good thing with seeing another 'common' scooby driver is you'll very often get a friendly wave. When I saw other Saxo drivers I could see them trying to figure out how to nick my VTS alloys
Old 29 August 2002, 10:28 AM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

LOL

So you're saying that Saxo drivers are all theiving scum?!

Old 29 August 2002, 01:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Probably! I liked the exclusivity of the VTS (I saw one today for the first time in weeks) but it's a shame it was still badged as a Citron Saxo VT* because there are loads and loads of VTR's and VTR wannabees kicking around!