Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

any TVR Cerbera owners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 12:11 PM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just toying with the idea of the 4.2 litre cerbera, but concerned about the ongoing running costs for services etc. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Currently have a uk impreza turbo so used to reasonable service costs
Is reliabiltiy still aproblem as they built the engine espicially for the Cerbie?
Any insight into service intervals.

Cheers all

Sqwint
Old 26 August 2002, 02:20 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

A mate had one ,lost a load of money on it ,electrics unreliable,parts expensive,and single figure mpg,but goes like stink ,looks great.
Old 26 August 2002, 03:56 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

www.pistonheads.com

Great website, with a forum for talking about all makes of TVR.

I've only owned the traditional V8's and not Cerebera's so can only base my opinion on that. Really it all depends on the mileage, servicing every 6k miles can get exspensive at dealers (£500+, up to £1000), although there are independants who can do it.

J
Old 27 August 2002, 12:27 AM
BCA
Scooby Regular

My dad owns a 4.5 cerb.

Service intervals are 6k, which isnt that bad. Running costs can vary, it depends on whether you find a good one or not. Its best to test drive as many as possible as each car varies wildly. Look on pistonheads, or join the cerbera egroups and talk to other cerbera owners to find out what to look out for. To keep costs down use a good independant (alot better than all tvr dealers that we have come across) try www.joospeed.net, I cannot recommend julian enough, he looks after our car. Cerberas tend to eat clutches,starters and throttle pots, but again this varies from car to car.

Avoid the speed 6, no matter what you hear, the engines still arent sorted. there is otherwise little difference between the different engines. Our cerb is a daily driver and has racked up 20k in two years, in its life its seen a fair few probelms, but nothing too major. It currently cost little more than any other car we have owned (since being serviced at joospeed). Sadly though the car has been broken into twice recently within three weeks, which is upping the running costs, but this is a very very very rare incident so dont let it put you off.

As for performance, you will struggle to find quicker standard cars in a straight line. However, in the twisties the scoob would keep up easily, but the suspension can be uprated to improve the cars on road handling dramatically (again, joospeed).

All cerberas are loud, but go for a decat and you'll get flames to accompany the roar.

If you have any further questions just ask.
Dont let anything i have said put you off, these cars put a smile on your face like few others, and can be used daily.

Old 27 August 2002, 10:16 AM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help. I have looked at Pistonheads (great link)and I am calling Joospeed this morning. I am arranging a test drive next week of a couple of low mileage cerbs, but I will be spending a long time reading the history. Piston heads gave a great list of "be Careful ofs.."

I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Sqwint
Old 27 August 2002, 11:40 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I had a griff 500 for a while.
I'll never buy another TVR, but I'm glad I experienced it.

I'll go into detail for you if you're interested.

Paul
Old 27 August 2002, 11:55 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Detail please
Old 27 August 2002, 01:25 PM
QuietJim
Scooby Newbie

I'm thinking of selling my 4.2 Cerbera. It's a 96P with 30,000 miles. It's had loads of work done on it over the years to fix the gremlins that plagued many of the '96 models (18 grand's worth of work in fact) so it runs very nicely now. Full TVR history, receipts etc.

I'd be willing to let it go for £19000, drop me a line if you're interested and I'll send you full details & pics.

james.thomas@ntl.com (days)
james.thomas@zoom.co.uk (evenings)
Old 27 August 2002, 04:01 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

ok here goes....

Crank shaft siezed.
Cam lobe fell off.
fuses blew every couple of weeks.
body cracked.
4 speedoes (gave up after 4 speedo worked tacho didn't)
leaks galore.

cost me a fortune.

Nice when it worked.

Won't ever do it again.

Old 27 August 2002, 05:10 PM
QuietJim
Scooby Newbie

Dead right, you do need to allow at least a grand a year just for servicing etc. Mine's never let me down but I know a lot of others have. I think as long as you go into TVR ownership with your eyes open then it won't be a bad experience. The people that get stung are the ones expecting Subaru reliability and servicing costs, hence a lot of TVRs have had many owners because the cost of running them is much higher than the buyer expects.
Old 28 August 2002, 07:57 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Local dealer told my brother on test drive that the pre'98 cars had much more reliability problems, and that it would be much cheaper in the long run to get a post '98 car. I guess the guy knew what he was talking about, but can't say for certain.

Drive it gently, and it's fairly quick. Get some revs on it comes alive, 195mph and 0-100 in 8.2 for the 4.5. Haven't seen a scoob that can get close to that.
Old 29 August 2002, 12:17 AM
BCA
Scooby Regular

Any car with a 20K plus milage will have been sorted, low milage cars are often the more problematic. Our Cerb is pretty reliable now that it is used often, was a complete headache for the first few months. A general rule is late 97 onwards, anything before then is even more of a lottery reliability wise, though many of the cars are 98 spec, and sorted at high cost to thier previous owners, like quietjim's.
Old 29 August 2002, 09:12 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

SQWINT - that's what you'll be doing come service time, reeling from the shock of how much it costs to run & service those things........

Apparently TVR will be bringing out diesel versions later in the year!
Old 30 August 2002, 04:40 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Cool

Forget the TVR then? I would unless your on right side of 40k a year

[Edited by bumcrack - 8/30/2002 5:07:35 PM]
Old 30 August 2002, 06:26 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ok this is a 4.5 but....

Cerbera Running Costs!
Old 30 August 2002, 06:46 PM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

I have been reading up like mad since the first post regarding running costs etc, and would like to really thank everyone. I thought that it was going to be reasonably pricy to change but keep reading story after story of major engine rebuilds, new clutches (£1300 without labour )etc etc.
My gut feel is that the costs are not really outweighed by the performance in comparison to slightly less speed from my Scooby, and realiability. I think the next car is going to be a newer Scooby as mine is getting to be highish mileage, and then spend a little extra on some mods.
At the end of the day I grin every time I drive my car anyway, and I think if I was wondering how much the mext break down was going to cost me, the smile from a TVR although great would probably wane after a while. Every TVR owner I have spoken to has the same opinion that they are great cars, but expensive to run. I have a reasonable well paid job, but not to the point where I can afford to heamorrage money.
I will have to just keep winding the windows down every time one drives past just to listen to that exhaust note!

once again
Cheers.
Ps knowlesy is already ready running a Scooby with an exhaust note not too disimilar to a Chimera with his custom built Haywood and Scott! Makes my windows rattle every time he is driving in front of me.

[Edited by sqwint - 8/30/2002 6:47:54 PM]