Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jag XKR - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 11:44 AM
meta4
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Mention Jag and I immediately have an image of a bulbous red nose, a pipe and a pair of slippers....but I must admit I was really impressed with this 1998 british racing green XKR I was taken for a spin in today. A bit cramped inside but not too clausto...and such a lovely look with those bigger wheels which help to avoid the "riding on stilts" look. So just a bit curious now....anyone had any experience with these? Are they reliable? Am I turning into an old man?
Adam
Old 14 August 2002, 03:03 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Wot I want to know is because ofthe new model coming out, will there be a price reduction for the unregistered old ones....??

J
Old 14 August 2002, 07:08 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Very reliable with regular servicing from a Jag dealer, the old man still has the phase one XKR coupe, has run trouble free except for

1. The windows automatically go down when opening and closing the door (by about half inch) sometimes the memory forgets where the window is......so wind it all the way down and the memory resets!

2. The leather seat (cream) get dirty so its worth getting sensible protection

3. The front is prone to stone damage & lots of it,

4. Trying to get fog protector covers is also worthwhile as these can be an easy target

5. The J box is worthless really - just stick it in DRIVE and go...........
Old 14 August 2002, 10:36 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Friend at work has a 1998 XJR and has had no end of trouble. Every service seems to cost about £1000-£2000

I can find the problems if you are interested, from memory recently he has had warped brake discs, gearbox problems and suspension problems... He is about to sell it and said to me that Jags are fine for about the first 3-4 years but then everything brakes!