Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf TDI vs ??

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 11:35 AM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw something on another thread about Scoobs having to work hard against a GOLF TDI, I have drive a 115 and it was torquey and moderately brisk, had a go against a 2002 TDI (red D and I) and against my F reg 8v Golf GTI the performance was identical gear for gear up to a ton (I suspect at this point it would have pulled away a bit but traffic put paid to that).

I assume that a 2002 model must be the 130 bhp for me to stay with it, do they still do the 115 ?

Surely a Scoob would waste one ?
Old 14 August 2002, 12:07 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

They don't do the 115 anymore in the Golf its been the 130 for a while now. Torque figures for both are almost identical that's why you were well matched on in gear acceleration.

As for going up against a Scoob, well the torque peak is almost the same. So initally I would see the Golf slightly ahead due to making its peak torque lower down the rev range (1900rpm) and its lower weight but higher up the rev range in same gear the Scoob will murder it, when it makes its peak torque and the power differences start to tell.
Old 14 August 2002, 12:14 PM
easilybored
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've owned both a UK300 and a Golf tdi 150 and the Golf felt faster, although I cant be sure. Possibly because the power kicked in earlier.
Both v good cars.

EB
Old 14 August 2002, 01:07 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Wink

one sounds good when reved the other doesn't

one runs out of revs before the other

one has a poor chasis the other doesn't

need i carry on ranting
Old 14 August 2002, 01:17 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I've just gone from a modified P1 to a PD150 GTi.

I can only say this car is amazing - not amazing in a subaru sense but should not be overlooked by any means.

The PD150 generates 237lb/ft of torque at 1900 rpm which is shocking in every gear. For an oil burner it also revs amazing well round to 4,500rpm (limiter is 5,000rpm). Fuel economy is just plain silly - my average over 3000 miles is 46.2mpg - and after the first 1000 miles I haven't been that gentle with it either. Over a 100mph+ 500 mile blast across france I got 49mpg which is amazing.

The in-gear accelleration is what really sets this new breed of oil burners apart from others.

I seem to get quite a few people giving me 'hassle' on the roads - not something I ever really saw in the P1. Needless to say - if the traffic situation - speed limit and road conditions permit I will usually have a play. Its easy to dispatch MG 2.5 VTs, Celica VVT-is, and even a very unfortunate MY01 owner.

I've saved £800 on insurnace and god knows how much on fuel whilst getting approx 500 miles to tank.

The golf suffers quite a bit in its handling and driver involvement. It is not as much fun to punt along B-Roads. The car is also very soft even though it has sports suspension fitted. The chassis is also quite floppy too. Lift-off oversteer and be obtained at stupidly low speeds (15mph) and is relatively easy to control and correct - certainly no method of keeping the tail out on the power it being FWD.

As with other VAG diesels - there is a huge range of aftermarket ECUs and tuning boxes available. AmD current offer a certified 185BHP conversion which gives close to 300lb/ft of torque for the cost of about £500 quid - how much would it cost you to get that on a scooby ???? VAG engines and drivetrains have a fair amount of strength left in reserve as they are designed to be durable and last.

Once chipped a PD150 golf has some shocking in-gear accelleration times. for example 50-70 in forth is only a few tenths of a second away from a TVR Tuscan . It eclipses all sorts of exotica in-gear - amazing.

I'm off to burn some more oil.

And for driving fun - well check out http://www.xtr2.net to see how track driving will be for myself and CraigH from now on

Ian

[Edited by igratton - 8/14/2002 1:18:44 PM]

[Edited by igratton - 8/14/2002 1:19:17 PM]
Old 14 August 2002, 01:46 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I currently have a PD130 which is a good car. It's a company car but I pay for the diesel. Whilst it's not the most exciting car of it's class, it's embarrassed a few GTi's I can tell you.
The torque is excellent but being new to diesels, I still can't get used to the red line at 5000 revs!!
Old 14 August 2002, 01:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Racing oil burners can be quite alarming. I played with my uncle in his 2.5TDI A6 Quattro and when we floored it he started to pull away (low down torque). However, once the scooby got up and running I was just reeling him in no problem. The initial shock of them leaving you is pretty alarming but just keep your right foot burried a few seconds longer
Old 14 August 2002, 03:41 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've driven Ian's car and can backup everything he has said!!! It's shockingly fast for what it is and I'm not surprised he's given a few faster cars a big shock!!!

At one point on cruise, I looked down at the computer and I was getting 122mpg

Anyone fancy a PD150 engined, 4WD Leon Cupra?????

Matt
Old 15 August 2002, 08:20 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So if th olf 150 hhas all the torque and is quite quick, surley a good suspension set up and bigger wheels/lower profile tyres would sharpen it up!

i had a Mk11 Gti with H&R suspension which only lowered it 25mm and the geometry checked and it handled well!

It used to shame alot faster cars in the twisties just lacked on power on the open road.

So a 150 PDTdi with sorted suspension could be a quick cheap to run allrounder?

300Ftlb of torque dsoes sound
Old 15 August 2002, 09:23 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

you need to drive it again now its nice and loose. I've got nearly 3,500 on the clock in 4 weeks (south of france trip).

As for the 4Motion drive train. You can get 150 Golfs and Boras outside of the UK with 4WD. I reckon the Seat is going to be a stunner. I am not a big fan of the VAG 4WD system. I hated driving the Audi S3 at bedford autodrome but maybe I was just yardsicking the car against the P1 - I'd like to try again in anger at some point.

My friend has just got a new A4 Avant Quattro 2.5TDI - engine sounds luvley - car is extremely stable. Accelleration wise the 150 easily stays with it to speeds I'd rather not talk about on here even though we were in france - not the UK.

4th gear is good for 20mph to about 90mph - so you can leave it there most of the time LOL.

I have thought about new struts but I have to remember why I got the 150 in the first place - to save money to spend for the XTR2. Having said that yesterday I purchased an Alpine CDA-7894RB to get the most from my Boston Acoustics speakers. It sounds bloody amazing - and I can actually hear it has the golf is not wearing a supergun for an exhaust system.

Billi and H&R seem to do some very good suspension kits for Golfs and Boras. All being well I am going for a play in Millteks PD130 in the next few weeks. There car is a PD130 with highflow downpipe, and full cat-less exhaust system, suspension, strut braces, big wheels, Porka Brakes and AmD tuning module. 187bhp and 288lb/ft - so it should be pretty quick. I would also like a go in VWs own Golf TDI Touring Car

As a saving money exercise the golf is great. As a car - its also pretty good IMHO.

Ian

[Edited by igratton - 8/15/2002 2:15:04 PM]