Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

OK Mini is ruled out - he wants the new X type Jag - any opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 04:16 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well, I'm a 'streak of p1ss' (6ft and 12st8), so it's not surprising I don't have a problem.

I didn't try the BM or Audi, so don't know how the seats compare...

[Edited by MarkO - 8/6/2002 4:17:28 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 01:36 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Despite my whispering Sti Sti Sti in his ear.... the X type seems to be flavour the month - Mini out because he hates BMWs so... albeit the X type has a rather impressive spec.

Any opinions.
Thanks I expect there will be a few more 'what do you think' threads before we finally decide and this is the best place for impartial information.

Penni
Old 06 August 2002, 02:20 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I think the X type is ok, just bare in mind that under the bodyshell lurkes a Ford Mondeo. The X type shares a lot of components from the Mondeo including floorplan and drivetrain.
Old 06 August 2002, 02:40 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have one - a 3-week-old 3.0L Sport, bought to replace my aging STI Type-R.

Okay, so it's a shared platform with the Mondeo chassis. But that's no major downer, since that particular chassis is widely accepted as well-sorted. Plus, Jaguar have worked some magic on it (it was Jaguar who converted it to 4WD - it's not Ford's drivetrain), and it's a very competent piece of work. Considering the ride comfort, it handles superbly - very 'scoob-like' in the way it attacks the corners.

I've certainly not been disappointed since I've had it, and my country-lane times on the way to the station haven't really been any different since I swapped. Obviously, the ludicrous power in the STI isn't there (I do miss the kick when the turbo span up) but there's loads of silky-smooth V6 power, and the car certainly shows a clean pair of heels when required.

Feature-wise, the car comes with very little as standard. I think Jag are trying to tempt people across to the marque with low prices by minimising the spec (you can get a 2.0L X-Type for £19,995). Even rear leccy windows don't come as standard.

I loaded mine up with loads of stuff - auto headlights, auto wipers, xenons, the cold climate pack (for when I move to Scotland ), split-fold seats, electric folding mirrors, etc, etc. A bit of haggling with the dealer got me the metalic paint (normally £495), the premium sound (nearly £800) and the mats and a couple of other bits chucked in for free. The Sport comes as standard with part-leather, and has the 17" sports alloys standard too.

TBH, if you're looking for something quick, but very comfortable, with all the toys and luxury, I'd highly recommend it. Plus the service I had from the dealer was nothing short of superb (if you're anywhere near Kent, speak to Andy Widdecombe at Dutton-Forshaw, Maidstone - tell him I sent you). Compared to Audi and BMW - both of whom have now blown any chance of ever selling me a new car - it was like another world.

Highly recommend it. Loads more details at X-Type.com.

Oh, and I'll post some pics of mine, if you want...?

[Edited by MarkO - 8/6/2002 2:46:33 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 03:07 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've had two!

I had one of the early ones, and had a number of problems that the dealer struggled to solve in the early days. Fortunately I live close to the dealer and have another car I can use, so just used to drop it off for them to fix. It only ever let me down once, but this was at a point when a few things had not been able to be fixed properly. At that point (after 10 months, and 10000 miles) I asked Jaguar and the dealer to replace the car. They agreed to do this, with myself making a modest contribution to the replacement cost to reflect the wear and tear of 10000 miles.

I didn't for one moment think about NOT getting another x-type - I don't even think that my car was a "Friday afternoon" car, but that it just had a few difficult to solve problems.

Ironically, after I gave them the ultimatum to replace the car (and told them I did not want it back until everything was fixed) the car was faultless up until the point I gave it back.

Getting onto the good bits:
Performance is pretty good. A BMW 330i clearly has more torque, but struggles for traction on all but smooth surfaces. We have done some comparisons at some mini-meets, and the x-type is surprisingly comparable to the Imprezas. I was peddaling hard though :-)

Ride quality is totally different from the Impreza of course. My new x-type has a suspension that is even more refined than the first one. I've found that running the tyres at the "Normal" pressures (defined as 'For speeds over 100mph' ;-)) rather than the 'comfort' pressures removes understeer but does make potholes a bit more noticeable

Build quality: In terms of fit and finish has been excellent in both cars. No squeaks, rattles or bits falling off at all.

The Mondeo connection: Not a problem - at least it gives people something to take the **** about. Bear in mind that the floorpan is a good one to start off with, but it isn't that closely related to the Mondeo, as track and wheelbase are different. I think that the suspension pickup points are all the same, and that is the complex bit.

You need to go on a decent test drive, preferably of a Sport model, and without a salesman from the garage!
Old 06 August 2002, 03:13 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, the tyre-pressure thing is spot-on - in fact I find the ride seems slightly smoother with the higher (non-comfort) pressures.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that it is easily as bad as the Impreza for guzzling fuel. I reckon to get about 260-280 miles out of 51-52 litres. Having said that though, I'm told the 2.5L car is a lot better (and without a particularly large performance drop) - and of course unlike STIs they don't need to be run on Super unleaded.
Old 06 August 2002, 03:26 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Hate to say it but I found them a bit tight for space with the seat moved back. I have wide shoulders and I kept rubbing my right shoulder against the door pillar, which I found off putting, and the legroom for the rear seats disappeared. Ride and handling are outstanding but I have heard from friends they are a bit thirsty and for you company car drivers the emissions are steep too.
Old 06 August 2002, 03:35 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

YFB. I've not found any problems space-wise with my shoulders.

However, you're right about the rear legroom. If you've got young kids it'll be fine, but if you regularly cart adults in the back it is a bit cramped. However, since 99% of the time it's just me and my wife in the front, it's not an issue. And any kids we do have won't be very big for a few years yet.

Interestingly enough, I tried the S-Type out to see how much more space the bigger car gave you, but the rear legroom is almost identical. You need to go to XJ territory before the rear passengers can stretch their legs.

I've already mentioned petrol consumption, and regarding emissions - well, mine's a personal car, so I don't get taxed on it.
Old 06 August 2002, 04:11 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

MarkO how did you know I like to have my cake and eat it, along with all the pies..............

I am over large being in the 6ft 3inch 20 stone territory, but I don't have any comfort problems in BMW 3 series et al, just in the X-type the B-pillar and seat belt gubbins were rubbing on my right shoulder.
Old 06 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Penni

My Dad is Sales manager of a Jag garage. Email me if you want his number.

Tim
Old 06 August 2002, 05:16 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Get the bloody Mini - I'm in for some good commission there !
Old 06 August 2002, 05:27 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

MarkO & Tim
Your comments are much appreciated I will show this to my hubbie - we're still a ways off from getting a replacement for the scoob - and I still have a zoom zoom to sell - well not necessarily but it would be nice to get rid (I don't like it). It's useful to have people's comments because you never get a really good impression just on a test drive because it's not long enough.

Can anyone give me an idea of the servicing costs for this beastie because at the end of the day that will make a big difference to the decision process - as it has always amazed me how inexpensive it is to service the scoob.

Paul 78 - who said I'd buy the mini from you anyway?

P
PS: Mr. Bomford you have mail

Old 06 August 2002, 05:59 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> as it has always amazed me how inexpensive it is to service
>> the scoob.

you are joking aren't you? Servicing every 7.5k miles on the Scoob, 30k and 45k services cost between £300-400!

check out something like What Car/top gear mag, at the back they give a pence per mile of every car.

regards,

greg
Old 06 August 2002, 06:23 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Hey Pen, no email yet! Still got the WRX?

Tim
Old 06 August 2002, 08:50 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Its funny that you should say that about the X-type handing like the scoob.
It was used as the handling benchmark for it.
Beef
Old 06 August 2002, 09:18 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my dad to pre-warn him and know what he'd offer you discount wise! I think you'll be surprised.....I was

Old 07 August 2002, 07:17 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

you are joking aren't you? Servicing every 7.5k miles on the Scoob, 30k and 45k services cost between £300-400!
Aye, the Scoob was never cheap to service, and having an STI in Kent was - frankly - a PITA.
Its funny that you should say that about the X-type handing like the scoob. It was used as the handling benchmark for it.
Car magazine describe the X-Type as an 'Impreza for grown-ups'. They've not seen me drive mine then.
Old 07 August 2002, 01:10 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great car IMO. The boss usually gets one as a courtesy car when his XJR is in for servicing, and quite often he would rather keep it than have the XJ back. In fact, he reckons if they did a supercharged R version he would definitely not have the XJ back

With respect to the Mondeo connection, according to Mike Cross (jag's R&H top man), there is very little of the Mondeo left, but what's wrong with starting with best handling chassis in it's class anyway?
Old 07 August 2002, 01:21 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In fact, he reckons if they did a supercharged R version he would definitely not have the XJ back

Unfortunately, though, the X-Type-R has been put on hold (along with the new F-Type) indefinitely whilst they strengthen the product range with the X-Type estate and diesel models.

But it's not been canned completely, so with a bit of luck by the time it hits the road I might be able to afford one.
Old 07 August 2002, 02:18 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Mr Bomford
I've e-mailed you again - do hope you get it this time, as I sent the first one at 5:20 last night strange.

Thanks for speaking to your dad, you really didn't have to do that.

WRX is being held for a nice chap who is keen to buy her (if you're reading this AD - a very very nice chap!) Therefore we're a few months away from making another purchase. (Also see my e-mail).

Greg, I don't know where you take yours but I have always gone to Baileys in Maiden's Green (probably not your neck of the woods) and I have never ever paid more than £200 for a service, albeit I haven't had a 24k one as we're still 4k away from that, but I shouldn't think they'd charge me £300-£400 even for that given their track record up to now.

Suggest you try a garage who is not a main dealer as they seem to charge more.
Penni
Old 07 August 2002, 02:24 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bear in mind X-Type service intervals are annually or 10,000 miles. So it'll need to be serviced far less often than the scoob....
Old 07 August 2002, 05:38 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Thanks Penni - yes I do look in occasionally to see what people are saying. Glad someone recognises me as a nice chap - not everyone who works with me (JB) would agree!!!
Old 08 August 2002, 01:48 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Cool

You little tinker!!!!! master of disguise ha ha - had no idea who you were on here.... have to watch myself now or all my secrets will be out.
ps : JB does actually think you're a very nice person but don't tell let on I told you
P