E7 is a bit lardier at 1400kgs for GSR and 1320kgs RS

The GSR's have AYC (Active Yaw Control) on rear and the LSD
is an option on the front.

The E5 RS's dont have the bigger Brembos, its an option @ £2.5k

The E5's can also suffer from warped disks its not just the E6's

For all the CORRECT information go to the "FAQ" section of the
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

www.lancerregister.com

....Spanpody (EVO 5 GSR, ex Scooby owner )

Edited to say - MarkWRX if you want the technical reference data for the E6 let me know I have the "Technical Information Manual" in PDF (about 800k).

[Edited by Spanpody. - 7/4/2002 1:54:40 PM]
Old 03 July 2002, 09:39 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The age old question once again......

Im considering changing to an Evo VI (from a UK300), has anyone on here done the same and if so what are the pros/cons and what do I need to look out for. The obvious ones are:

Pros - Performance, Handling, Less Common

Cons - Service intervals, fuel capacity, insurance

I dont want to start an Impreza v Evo debate again, just interested to hear from people who have had both.

Will an Evo cost that much more to run?

And before you ask, yes I would like a P1 but they are more expensive and I dont really want a 2 door car.

I still love my scoob and may well keep it but Im getting the one year itch at the moment!

Thanks

Mark

Old 03 July 2002, 11:58 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Few stats for ya...

General Data
Curb weight 1260kg (2772lbs)
Length 4350mm
Width 1770mm
Height 1415mm
Wheelbase 2510mm
Turning radius 5.5 meters

Chassis and body
Layout Front engine/4wd
Tire size and type
Wheels f/r nd
Tyres f/r 225/45ZR17
Brakes
Front/rear Brembo 4-pot 17" ventilated disc/2-pot 16" ventilated disk (n/a)
Steering
Type rack and pinion
Overall ratio n/a
Suspension
Front/rear MacPherson strut/Multilink

Engine
Motor 4G63 twin-cam inline 4 intercooled turbo
Displacement 1997cc
Compression ratio 8.8:1
PS(hp) 280/6500rpm
Torque kg-m (ft/lbs) 38.0 (270)/3000rpm
Bore and Stroke 85.0 x 88.0
Redline 8350
Fuel Injection EGI (multi-point injection)
Fuel capacity 50 litres
Fuel super unleaded 97 ron

Acceleration
0-100km/h (0-63mph) 4.7
0-400 meters (1/4 mile) 12.76
0-1000 meters 24.3
Top speed km/h (mph) 250km/h

Drivetrain
Transmission 5MT
Gear ratios
1st 2.785
2nd 1.950
3rd 1.407
4th 1.031
5th 0.761
Reverse 3.416
Final 4.529

Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution 5/6 is perhaps the Tri-Triangle's fastest car, if you disregard top speed as being the only indicator of fast. Built as a homologation model for international rallying, the popularity of the car far exceeded expectations by Mitsubishi, much the same as it's competitive cousin, the Subaru Impreza WRX. Sales were spectacular, in that they sold every vehicle made in 3 months. After this point, both Mitsubishi and Subaru started selling their rally homologation models in bulk, with sales keeping pace. Performance was, and is even more so now, electrifying. In fact, I watched a video made 5 years ago that compared the Mitsubishi Evo. 1 and original WRX, both only putting out 240ps. They were both run against a stock twin-turbo RX7, a modified TT RX7, a stock MR2 Turbo, and a heavily modified MR2 Turbo, along with one odd choice, a Toyota Mark II tourer V. The WRX and Mitsubishi placed 1st and 2nd, though pacing each other all the way. What was more important was how these former economy sedans completely and unabashedly slaughtered the competition. With Awd combined with a 240+hp motor, and all in a balanced, lightweight package, the Mitsubishi and the Subaru have both together redifined performance in Japan, and have done it for peanuts, at half the cost of the Skyline GT-R, the performance icon of Japan. And they got faster with each subsequent evolution, while getting better brakes, better suspensions, better interiors, and even more importantly, better torque. 270ft/lb's of torque from a 2-litre motor is astonishing in itself, getting that at 3000rpm, while under a standard warranty, is astounding.
Features:
Recaro full bucket seats
Momo steering wheel
Front Helical LSD
Rear 1.5WAY Viscous LSD
AYC (Anti Yaw Control)

I have one, nice cars not going to rant on just take one out and I think you'll end up buying it. Defo more exclusive, scoobs are 10 a penny mine is the only evo.
Regarding the servicing it's only the AYC that needs to be serviced every 4700 miles. However this is easily done and a little job you can do yourself, save some money.
Good luck.

[Edited by cryptwalk - 7/4/2002 12:02:17 AM]
Old 04 July 2002, 12:45 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

The Impreza is a victim of their own success.

A lot of people complain about the amount around, but I bet Subaru are rubbing their hands in glee compared to Mitsubishi.

Having said that, I am wanting to cross to the dark side soon But still staying with Subaru

Try posting over in the Mitsubishi Lancer Register, I am sure lots of people will be willing to give you as much assistance as Crpyt has above.

MLR board

Cheers,

Michelle.
Old 04 July 2002, 01:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

If i was to go that way (but wont cos im after an STi7 ) then it would either be an evo5 or an evo7, the 6's go through brake discs due to the small hub that they are fitted with and thus the discs warp quickly (was quoted 240 quid per disc for my scoobs replacement brembo so it wouldnt be that cheap to replace )
POC took this route and purchased an evo5, now hes seen the light and within a few weeks converted back to the beloved Subaru (and a nice P1 i hear )

Tony
Old 04 July 2002, 08:23 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Cryptwalk,

Not sure about the kerb weight. From the data I have seen EVOS are about 100kgs heavier than you quote
Old 04 July 2002, 04:04 PM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

An Evo 6 owner I know has solved the disc warping by introducing vents/ducts in the front bumper that direct air straight onto the discs, hence stopping them from heating up as much.

This has solved the warping problem.

Might be something for Evo 6 owners to consider.
Old 04 July 2002, 04:27 PM
richc
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I went from an STi6 Type R to an EVO 6 'Extreme'. The Scoob was very quick and I loved it to bits, but the Evo is just a nutters car! The plus points are it's much quicker at the top end, looks more agressive and is more exclusive. Bad points are even worse fuel comsumption, more frequent services, and it doesn't sound as good. I haven't regreted it anyway.

Cheers, Rich.
Old 04 July 2002, 08:03 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Markwrx,
I have recently gone over to 'the dark side' from a modded MY96 to a Evo5 gsr with full stainless decat exhaust.Dont worry about the AYC service as an independent can do this for about £50.They are however an absolute F**KER on petrol and if you do high miles they would be seriously hard to run.Putting performance aside though,they are worth it for exclusivity alone.
Good luck.
SD.
Old 04 July 2002, 10:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

nice if youv'e got exclusivity money.Not all of us have, I would say 7-8K would buy a better Impreza than Lancer.
Old 04 July 2002, 11:22 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Possibly,but the starter of this thread was talking about changing from a UK300 to an Evo6 - not talking about the relative merits of £7-8k scoobs or Evos.
SD.
Old 05 July 2002, 01:08 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would say 7-8K would buy a better Impreza than Lancer.
Absolutly, and I bet when looking for a impreza within that price range you have a huge choise. Look for a lancer and I think you'll have a fair job trying to find one atall within this price range be that a evolution 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Old 05 July 2002, 02:25 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

With the kind of money you are looking at with regards to buying an Evo 5/6, you will be looking at top whack for mint cars. They are about though, just expect to pay for them!!!!!

With the same price range you can be bringing Type RA V limiteds into the equation.....in all honesty, I would prefer to the V-limited over an Evo. You could pick up a nice V-limited and have money left over for mods or buy an Evo 6 and have none left over - hmmmm still a difficult choice. I reckong the Scoob would just pip the post there for me.

But if the choice was a standard UK scoob or WRX then I would go for the Evo, no probs!!!!

Exclusivity isn't everything, but there again, the V-limiteds are more exclusive and IMHO a nicer car, but by a very, very small margin
Old 05 July 2002, 07:37 AM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

On the exclusivity question... yes a v-limited maybe more exclusive but to the normal person in the street (who knows a little about cars) it will still be a scoob and to them it could be a MY99 or a V-limited.

However, the Evo is far easily more identifiable as something different...

Just my opinion of course... ohh and thats why i changed to an Evo... and Insurance and Servicing are not a problem if you go to the right places...

Yeah petrol is a problem but is a consumable and lets face it if you are hammering a scoob or an Evo i bet the fuel figures arent really that much different...

Saying that you'll miss the noise...
Old 05 July 2002, 07:57 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mark,

Just do it... Apart from the exhaust note, service intervals and fuel tank the Evo is the better car

Jon
Old 05 July 2002, 12:38 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, some interesting comments.

Im looking at the ones at xtreme in Dudley but they seem about 2-3k above private prices so it depends what they would give me for the UK300. I dont want to put much/any cash in, just do a straight swap.

Going to the open day to have a look round.

I could buy privately but then I would have to sell the UK300 privately and I cant afford to be without a car for any time and am also worried about the type of person who may turn up to buy the car (scooby netters excluded of course )

Have seen a thread on the MLR about xtreme warranty not being very good but I would still rather some warranty than none at all. Anyone got any good/bad experience of them (former Ralliart UK)

What is a realistic combined mpg? I average about 21 in the scoob (mostly urban and dual carriageway, with a fair bit of right foot where legal )

Finally, I only want to keep it for 12 months. Any suggestions on how much I may loose if i bought say a 2 year old car with 20-25,000 for around £21k and put another 15,000 on it.

Thanks again for all the comments

Mark

Old 05 July 2002, 12:42 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Message to spanpody....

You dont have an email address, but I would be grateful if you would email the EVO6 pdf to mark@hillfield.net which is my home address.

Cheers
Old 05 July 2002, 01:40 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I've owned both scoob (MY99 impreza) and evo 6 (which is my current car). You really need to drive the evo and see for yourself. When I drove one, my reaction was "must have one".

In comparison with the scoob, the evo is much sharper, less lag, better performance, better brakes. Downsides are as you say, fuel range (about 220 miles/tank - 21mpg in "spirited" but not "insane" driving), servicing (every 4500 miles, so far it's averaged about £250 each service). It's also a much more "hardcore/adrenalin rush" car than the scooby, harder to drive slowly, less relaxing, more "full-on". This makes it more exciting, but after a 200 mile A/B road journey, you get out of the car feeling more tired. Insurance on the other hand isn't too bad - I'm paying around £850pa fully comp, 5years protected no-claims, and I'm aged 31.

My wife is just about to get a skoda octavia turbo estate, which has got me thinking about buying something less practical like a boxster 'S', or maybe a 911. I *might* be selling my car soon, so take a look at my thread on MLR if you do decide to buy/sell privately.

http://www.lancerregister.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9495

I used to take my car to Ralliart in Dudley for servicing, who always seemed competent - and they have a PS2 with GT3 to play with while you wait However since they have split with Colt Cars and become Xtreme autos, my last service was done by Ware Mitsubishi, really to keep the original 3 year warranty intact. To be fair though, Xtreme did send me a letter saying that if I carried on using them for servicing, they'd honour the terms of the Mitsubishi warranty out of their own pockets.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 05 July 2002, 03:39 PM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

MarkWRX

You have mail
Old 05 July 2002, 04:41 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You could pick up a nice V-limited and have money left over for mods or buy an Evo 6 and have none left over
You dont need to mod an evo, everything comes with it.

Exclusivity isn't everything, but there again, the V-limiteds are more exclusive
Aye to you and me but to everyone else it's just another scoob.
Old 05 July 2002, 05:07 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Er, so you haven't wanted to mod your evo at all then
Old 05 July 2002, 05:13 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What I am saying to you LMW is that as a standerd package the evo has it all. When I bought the subaru I had to buy...

Wheels
spoiler
spiltter
brakes
exhaust
etc
etc

The evo has all this already.
So wether I want to "mod" my evo or not is irelivent.

Cheers.
Old 05 July 2002, 05:16 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

So you aren't going to be changing the exhaust or considering better brakes or changing the wheels at all?
Old 05 July 2002, 05:31 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thats irrelivent.

As I said and please someone tell me if I am writing in english as a standerd package the evo is fantastic.

I am not looking at changing the brakes, just the pads. The wheels are down to personal preference. This is going nowhere.
Old 05 July 2002, 05:41 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Now now boys and girls! I said i didnt want to start another Evo vs Scoob debate

My preference is to buy a car that I dont have to mod too much. I dont mind minor mods cosmetic or exhaust etc but I would rather buy a standard car that is 99% what I want.

Its easier also for insurance and reselling as well.

If I had the money Id get a new STi7 and the PPP when it arrives, but Ive already had my fingers burnt by IM when buying the UK300 and Ill be bugg**d if im going to give them my money for a new car again.

My choice at the moment is EVO VI, a cheap P1 or just keep the UK300 another 12 months and see what happens.

Mark

Old 05 July 2002, 06:44 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Still 10 a penny.