Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Elise S2 - impressions and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2002, 06:36 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Test drove the new 111s last week. Thinking about getting one or a std S2 for the missus and for me to zip about in .

Impressions

Positive
I must say it was all I hoped it would be. The steering is so direct and communicative at all speeds.It really was a revalation. Handling was also all I hoped for (on a relatively tame test run). I was also amazed at how controlled the ride was.

I was also impressed with the fit and finish of the car. It didnt feel like the plastic Elan S1 I previously experienced but much more solid and better put together.

Negative
Performance wise it felt nippy rather than quick. The gearshift was ok but not as good as the P1. The engine was also a little gruff when run out to high revs. I also wondered whether I was supple enough to limbo dance into the drivers seat with the hood on.
Worst criticism was the brakes. They felt dead to me. I really had to push to get any meaningful response and then they felt as though they would lock up all to easily. If I get one they will have to be changed.

Summary

I never knew it was possible to have so much fun in a car whilst driving at legal speeds.

Questions then

1. Dealer has a 51 plate std S2 in with 4k miles and couple grands worth of extras for £24k. Is this a reasonable price?

2. Do I need to consider the VX220?

3. Is there a meaningful brake upgrade available and how much would it cost?

4. I figured that as the Elise is about other things than straight line speed I could probably forsake the 111s which is 30k specced up and go for a std S2. Is this realistic?

Old 25 June 2002, 11:59 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I have just changed my Elise S2 for an STI, but I had the elise for a year from new and did 20000 miles in it. I am therefore well clued up on the wee blighter.
1) It is good that you said that the car is for the wife and for you to nip about in. Impracticality was the killer for me since it was an only car. You should be ok though.
2) The elise to many is a dissapointment in terms of shear oooomph. It is after all a 1.8 Rover Engine. Tuning potential is limited and not worth it.
3) The handling more than makes up for all other niggles....it is awesome. On tight twisty roads it is bye bye Scooby time (If there is a straight it would be wave at the passing Scooby time!)
Word of Warning!.......Be careful in the wet, the wee swine can bite you even when you are being gentle. Many an elise lost in the wet.
4) Brakes..........pah! They are something that you will get used to. In the dry I found that I could brake as quickly as any ABS car. This is due to good feel and lack of Inertia in the car.
In the wet they are a bitch. I had several frightful moments. They perform poorly when wet, and lock way too easily. No.....there is not a worthwhile brake upgrade at all.
5) Performance.......I am sure you could squeeze a 135 model S2 for the money you are talking. Shop about.
6) I loved my car dearly. It draws mega attention and looks fab. The VX220 in my opinion does not. The elise is also a better car when selling on. VX220 prices will plummet....watch this space.

On a whole though...I would say get one!
Just respect it in the wet!!!!

Cheers

Bob.