Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Automatics in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2017, 06:46 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Automatics in the snow

We have had quite a bit of snow.In fact,bloody loads My first year of snow with my vRS with DSG. No idea which is the best to use.Paddles,eco mode ,shift option lol So many options since the easy days of a manual. It has not been too bad I have to say.so far. But -10 tonight allegedly

Always remember my 1.8T A4 quattro. If I remember, the advice was turn all all safety aids off in the snow.lol

So bloody confusing
Old 11 December 2017, 07:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

DSG is a bit poo in snow/ice; it engages the clutch too abruptly. Especially the dry plate clutch version. Merc's dual clutch is as equally as rubbish (one got stuck on the car park on Friday ). Neither allow the car to creep like a viscous coupling would.

Best you can do is try and get it to stay in 2nd onwards and avoid 1st gear , but of course they always default to 1st as soon as you stop.

Leave the ESP switched on, the VAG is a Teves/ATE system which is as good as it gets, the only exception is it will force understeer if the rear slides (even if very slight). But this is only really a issue with AWD cars where you may want to use the throttle to steer the rear end.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 December 2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:31 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
We have had quite a bit of snow.In fact,bloody loads My first year of snow with my vRS with DSG. No idea which is the best to use.Paddles,eco mode ,shift option lol So many options since the easy days of a manual. It has not been too bad I have to say.so far. But -10 tonight allegedly

Always remember my 1.8T A4 quattro. If I remember, the advice was turn all all safety aids off in the snow.lol

So bloody confusing
I have a Golf R with DSG and never mess with modes, always in race but i use the paddles, gives better control of engine braking over fully auto and i havent felt the need to turn traction off....yet.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:22 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps. I'm just fwd drive Ali. got to say miss being in control of the car when I had manual. Snow seems to send them a bit unsure of what to do.lol
Old 11 December 2017, 08:23 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

I'll go paddles Nik
Old 18 December 2017, 06:15 PM
Gsi Jay
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I leave mine in auto, bmw zf unit so obviously not dsg / twin clutch, never had any trouble really just leave it in comfort mode so shifts and throttle are quite gentle.