Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ford S-max 2007 onwards what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2017, 03:50 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Ford S-max 2007 onwards what to look for?

Just looking into any pitfalls for someone I know who is looking for one. Looking at the 1.8 tdci engine between 50-60k miles.

What are the major costs with these such as cambelt at what mileage etc?

TIA
Old 03 November 2017, 02:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ford Focus underneath, so pretty solid, but being a MPV many get more of a hard life of neglect and often maintained on the cheap.

1.8tdci has two belts; the camshaft is driven by a external belt off the fuel pump. The pump is driven by a internal "wet belt".

On older Fords the latter belt used to be a chain that gave little issues, but are now belts that run in the engine oil. These must be changed at the same time as the cam belt. However on neglected cars they have been known fail prematurely, presumably from degraded/non-ford spec oils affecting the belt integrity. And it will wreck the Pistons and rods as well as the valves, so a complete engine rebuild is needed (not just a head repair).

Change interval is 125,000/10years. Be sure BOTH belts are changed as the cambelt is cheap and easy to change, the pump belt is a lot more involving.

Dual mass flywheel can knock when starting from cold.

DPF can get stuck in a regeneration loop (regenerating every 50miles), if the ash content is too high, will need to be removed and cleaned or replaced if this occurs (symptoms are cooling fan running, even when cold and air con off, and excessive fuel consumption, eventually a engine fault light will appear, but may take a few hundred miles for that to happen...so beware of sellers clearing fault lights immediately before selling).

Glow plug failure can throw it into limp home.

Broken springs; usual ford + our lovely winter salted roads.

Thats most of the expensive bits I can think of.
Old 03 November 2017, 11:40 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Ali thank you very much for your detailed reply, I was hoping you would see it and answer as you always have a great knowledge on these things.

How much would you expect it to cost to do both belts on the 1.8 tdci? They bought one literally just before you replied and it's 9 years old so needs the belts done in the next 12 months and having told them about your reply they want it done ASAP.

The garage it's been purchased from when I called them to enquire said as the car is being purchased from them they would change the belts at trade price so asked them to confirm back to me what that cost would be.

I drove the car and it's only done 53k on 2008 plate with 1 owner from new and it drove well and sounded good under acceleration and at low revs pulling away and going over bumps in the road so couldn't hear any issues. I'm assuming with that mileage and age it's just been a Mum's school run car - the clutch seemed fine too
Old 04 November 2017, 11:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IIRC it's about an 8hour job to do both (6 minimum). So base that on the garage's labour rate.

Full kit (upper cam and lower pump belt/chain ) are around £140.

Factor in possible add-on costs like coolant change (every 10years) using OAT longlife antifreeze and possible water pump and auxiliary belt if they are found to be leaking or worn.

If dealer is replacing belt at their own cost...I'd advise tamper-proof paint (or tippex) is applied on the seams of the metal lower timing cover as shown on the pic, that way you will know if the lower belt is has been done as that metal cover needs to be removed to gain access.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 November 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05 November 2017, 12:52 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ali will see what they come back with on price. If it's done before the car is picked up there won't be anyway of telling if it's actually been done which is a bit of a problem unless it's checked by another garage afterwards.