Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Next car?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2016, 12:07 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next car?

Currently have an Audi A3 2.0L TFSI S Line and looking for a change (had it over six years now/it's about 10 years old).

Cars I have been considering are:

BMW M135i
Audi S3
Mercedes A250 engineered by AMG
Mercedes A45 AMG

I'm currently struggling to even find any within reasonable distance to test drive/physically look at so wondering if any of you lot have driven/own or owned any of the above and could give any opinions, or even comment on something else (not a Golf R tho as I don't like the interior ).

Whatever I end up getting, I'm aiming for it to be no older than 2013, petrol, auto and 4/5 doors.

They all have something that puts me off though:

M135i - mate has one, been out in his and first impressions were things felt a little close/cramped in the front. It's not really much of a looker either.

S3 - mainly the price, prob have to spend 24-25k which is top end of budget. Doesn't look too different to what I have now.

A250 - not sure I will like the I interior, especially the silly looking screen they have stuck on the dash. No quicker really than my current A3. And the gear 'stick' is a leaver behind the wheel, US style!

A45 AMG - lol, this one probably bit of me dreaming but while searching for the A250's I have seen a few for sale around the 26k mark. Would have to blow the budget but worth considering?

M135 & A250 probably the cheapest.

Any advice welcome

Last edited by stiscooby; 27 October 2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 27 October 2016, 01:54 AM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

I had an Audi TTRS. Got rid of it because it was boring, had zero driver involvement, but mainly because it kept breaking. Before I bought it I read lots of negative reports about the poor reliability of Audi S/RS models once they turn 3-5 years old, but I chose to ignore them. I wish I hadn't! I'd never buy an Audi or VW performance car again. (I also owned an extremely unreliable Golf GTi years ago!). Therefore, I wouldn't buy an S3.

The M135i is a great car. As with most modern cars, it has little steering feedback, but they sound amazing (especially with an M Perf exhaust) and are generally very reliable... except there have been lots of issues with the auto 'box. Get a manual version and I doubt you'd regret it.

A45. Driven one on a limited test drive. Fast, but hard suspension, uncomfortable seats, poor 'box, and they sound rubbish IMO. However, they are meant to be very capable machines.

For me, it would be an incredibly easy choice. The M135i is the better all-round car IMO, plus you could get one for about £2-3k less than an equivalent age/mileage S3 (probably £7-8k less than an A45).

But it depends what you want it for (daily driver, weekend fun?) and whether you want RWD or favour AWD.
Old 27 October 2016, 11:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
I had an Audi TTRS. Got rid of it because it was boring, had zero driver involvement, but mainly because it kept breaking. Before I bought it I read lots of negative reports about the poor reliability of Audi S/RS models once they turn 3-5 years old, but I chose to ignore them. I wish I hadn't! I'd never buy an Audi or VW performance car again. (I also owned an extremely unreliable Golf GTi years ago!). Therefore, I wouldn't buy an S3.

The M135i is a great car. As with most modern cars, it has little steering feedback, but they sound amazing (especially with an M Perf exhaust) and are generally very reliable... except there have been lots of issues with the auto 'box. Get a manual version and I doubt you'd regret it.

A45. Driven one on a limited test drive. Fast, but hard suspension, uncomfortable seats, poor 'box, and they sound rubbish IMO. However, they are meant to be very capable machines.

For me, it would be an incredibly easy choice. The M135i is the better all-round car IMO, plus you could get one for about £2-3k less than an equivalent age/mileage S3 (probably £7-8k less than an A45).

But it depends what you want it for (daily driver, weekend fun?) and whether you want RWD or favour AWD.
Had several Audi's in the family. All either R, S or RS models. And apart from the Turbo brackets breaking on my dads B5 S4, we've had no reliability issues (touch wood).

The current S3 is a good car. A very good car. But it does lack the final driver involvement that other manufacturers are able to get into their cars. If it wasn't for the manual gearbox, the car would be far too boring to drive around in. Fast and effective, with outstanding ownership appeal.

The Golf R is meant to be far more fun to drive, but again, I personally think the DSG gearbox will make it boring.

I know it'll be above your budget, but if you could stretch a bit further, and buy a second hand Focus RS, or a Civic Type-R (looks not for everyone).

TBH, I was really wanting a new RS3 when it arrives next year, but DSG only makes me think it'll be too boring to drive, and I'd end up selling it. I really like the look of the upcoming new Civic Type R. The current one is meant to be faster point to point that the Focus RS. Just not in the wet.
Old 27 October 2016, 12:58 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

I appreciate not all R/S/RS Audis will be unreliable, and maybe I've just been unlucky, but of the 20-odd cars I've owned, the TTRS and Golf GTi have been by far the worst two cars in terms of reliability, and sadly, that personal experience has been enough to put me off for life. After I'd sold the TT, I met some guy who had worked for Audi for 15 years. When I told him about the problems I'd had, he said something that implied he wasn't surprised and that reliability issues were commonplace. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, though.

I was going to suggest the Civic Type R, but as the OP didn't mention it, I assumed the styling might not be to his taste. A used new-shape Focus RS can be had for £32k, but a MkII would be comfortably within budget, and there'd still be a few grand left over, even after mods.

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 27 October 2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 27 October 2016, 01:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments so far...

Just to add - whatever I do get will be my only car/daily drive. However, I would like something which has a bit of go to it.

I have thought about the Civic Type R (use to have an EP3 some years back). This would be a fair bit over budget though, and I'm not sure I could live with the look of it's rear end (I'm 37 so don't want anything too 'in ya face').

Would also prefer an auto as the other half can only drive an auto so be handy should she ever need to drive it. Plus when originally thinking of the M135i they seem to be good auto boxes (performance wise)....... until you start reading the relevant forums of people having issues with them, which was then another thing to start making me think of something else.

Last edited by stiscooby; 27 October 2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 27 October 2016, 02:21 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
I appreciate not all R/S/RS Audis will be unreliable, and maybe I've just been unlucky, but of the 20-odd cars I've owned, the TTRS and Golf GTi have been by far the worst two cars in terms of reliability, and sadly, that personal experience has been enough to put me off for life. After I'd sold the TT, I met some guy who had worked for Audi for 15 years. When I told him about the problems I'd had, he said something that implied he wasn't surprised and that reliability issues were commonplace. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, though.

I was going to suggest the Civic Type R, but as the OP didn't mention it, I assumed the styling might not be to his taste. A used new-shape Focus RS can be had for £32k, but a MkII would be comfortably within budget, and there'd still be a few grand left over, even after mods.
Would agree with the Golf GTI. Had a MK7, and constant trouble with Gearbox (Manual) and the total lack of help from VW HQ, and the various dealers I took it to, made me cut my losses within 12 months and sell it. Was off the road for months, all added up.
Old 27 October 2016, 04:12 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

What are you driving these days creep ?
Old 27 October 2016, 04:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

The Golf R is meant to be far more fun to drive, but again, I personally think the DSG gearbox will make it boring.

TBH, I was really wanting a new RS3 when it arrives next year, but DSG only makes me think it'll be too boring to drive, and I'd end up selling it. I really like the look of the upcoming new Civic Type R. The current one is meant to be faster point to point that the Focus RS. Just not in the wet.
Owned a Golf R for 3 weeks until it got stolen, But my take on it is they are great everyday cars with the DSG box and can be had in 3/5 door so practical if you got kids and need the rear doors, Yes they are bland to look at and styling is not outrageous like the new Civic Type R or Focus RS etc, but I quite like the stealth look(looks like a GTD/GTi), Tuning wise they take to mapping really well and with simple bolt on mods can be 370bhp and with the DSG box makes a very fast car.

As already said, they are boring to drive, the car is that good and pretty much does everything perfect that you will find it dull, but with most new auto box cars they are not involving to drive and maybe if you want something that does the daily drive and involving to drive then maybe you will have to look at something a bit older with a manual box!!!