Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Morgan 4/4 experience

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2016, 04:46 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Morgan 4/4 experience

Recently I had the use of a Morgan 4/4 for a day, quite an experience to say the least. Its weird handling and debatable brakes took some getting used to, as did the non power steering. In fact the rock hard suspension and 'multiple' rattles soon convinced me that my Bug is actually quite a softy even with coilovers fitted!
I quite enjoyed the Morgan experience, weaving along country lanes with the top down, but at £35,000 before options it would surely only be a car for the real old school enthusiast.
Old 08 July 2016, 07:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've driven a Morgan Roadster (the model that replaced the +8) which is more or less the same car but with a Mondeo ST220 V6. Our builder owns and he let us have it for a few days.

It was damp, the only thing I can compare it to is a kart with alot more torque). Apart from I have more confidence racing a kart. It could be fun I guess, but not on our roads, and certainly not in the damp! It felt fast enough at 30mph, so I suppose there is some thrill there (and fear for your life if you dare to drive it faster LOL ).

I've serviced it too....and it's hard not to be critical but the suspension about as advanced as a 1920's pram: The amount of "slop" in what you would call front suspension (king-pin slides) is shocking. This isn't worn, its just the way it is. The only thing it has above a Series 1/2/3 Landrover is its independant and has coil spring. The rear is just a live axle with some hefty leaf spring, modern small vans make do with single leafs or parabolic leaf springs, these are multiple leafs that look like they belong on a 3.5ton Transit. It's little wonder why it handles and rides like it does.

And the body....yep its supported by wood, and the floor is wood. The metal chassis looks sturdy enough, ground clearance is not good and some exposed bolts under the middle of the car (which secure the wooden floor) had took some serious grounding.

There is some craftsmanship there and its obvious its a handmade car. The v6 is sweet and is much more lively than it ever was in a Mondeo, gearbox is too and those were my favourite bits (neither are Morgan though), interior was nice once you squeezed in and tried not to kick the already battered radio speaker when getting in and out.

Its a novelty. Pure four wheeled marmite.

But not for me I'm afraid, regardless of cost.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 July 2016 at 07:35 PM.