Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Subaru turbo 2000 braking problems

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2016, 03:01 PM
Pompeystu
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru turbo 2000 braking problems

So I brought a turbo 2000 the other week had low pads and very shaky on braking so thought I'd go to ecp buy pads and discs as assumed they was warped.
Replaced with brembo front discs and pads from ecp discs listed here http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/10480005a
Drove for approx 150 miles just around town before taking on faster roads and gets the wobble back again now for the price are these proper brembo or a manufacturer using brembo name.

As to me they seem like they are warped again other than high brake dust residue there is no seized piston the brakes have been fully bled using brembo 5.1 fluid and debating if you get them checked on a guage or have em skimmed although to skim them it's £50.

Or go down the route of returning them as faulty which I know ecp ain't gonna like and either buy blueprint discs and pads or mintex as had a price on mintex and looking at £24 a disc with vat just wanna know that I'm safe to stop of I need to be but would expect better quality from brembo to other manufacturers.
Old 14 April 2016, 04:41 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get the discs checked with a guage first then go from there as they might not be seated correctly or it could be a suspension or wheel problem.
Old 14 April 2016, 04:57 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

The discs are the last place I would look. They are big lumps of cast iron. They don't warp. It's a myth. What was your bedding-in procedure for the new pads & discs? You need to gradually increase breaking over a short period of time, by several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph. Otherwise you end up with uneven deposits of pad material on the discs which will feel like a wobble, exactly as you describe.

Alternatively you have some components out of alignment or your hub mounting was not cleaned sufficiently and the discs are not positioned correctly.
Old 15 April 2016, 01:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My first job would be to remove the discs and THOROUGHLY clean the mating surfaces between them and hub with a wire brush, pref in a drill.

THEN check all surfaces which are used in braking, clean disc with brake cleaner and wet-or-dry if necessary, rub pads on wet-or-dry on a FLAT surface and start again.
Old 16 April 2016, 09:26 AM
Pompeystu
Scooby Newbie

Bedding in I didn't just thrash it around drove steady for around 75 miles then gradually increased braking and built up speed I would like to assume that the brakes discs are OK and not warped.
I have not seen any overheating on brake discs and look OK I've got no play in bushes or ball joints tracking is all ok the only difference is can see is that one caliper is a subaru and the other is a wrx pro however they pull up straight and do not pull so assume this isn't the problem would the retaining screws for the discs cause any problems as there was none on there before and had same problem.
Old 16 April 2016, 09:55 AM
Pompeystu
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pompeystu
Bedding in I didn't just thrash it around drove steady for around 75 miles then gradually increased braking and built up speed I would like to assume that the brakes discs are OK and not warped.
I have not seen any overheating on brake discs and look OK I've got no play in bushes or ball joints tracking is all ok the only difference is can see is that one caliper is a subaru and the other is a wrx pro however they pull up straight and do not pull so assume this isn't the problem would the retaining screws for the discs cause any problems as there was none on there before and had same problem.

Old 16 April 2016, 10:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty sure I can see that there have been deposits on the mating surfaces and not even.

Clean those hubs!
Old 16 April 2016, 10:59 AM
Pompeystu
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
Pretty sure I can see that there have been deposits on the mating surfaces and not even.

Clean those hubs!

One thing comcerning is the lip on the inner of one of the discs debating now i get new mintex fo 48 and return these or get these skimmed for same price and keep i still have to inspect pads as left them in caliper
Old 29 April 2016, 11:04 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you get the problem sorted.