Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My Peugeot RCZR review

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2015, 04:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile My Peugeot RCZR review

Well it is about time I did a write up on my replacement for the Spec C, so here it is, my Peugeot RCZ R review

To start with, its a very stunning car to look at, sporty, sleek and totally impractical except for the huge boot, you get 2 seats basically and a rear seat for the shopping bags if you cannot be bothered with opening the boot.

Standard equipment is good, 19 inch alloy wheels surrounded by Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres with 380mm Alcon brakes and 4 pot calipers behind them on the front, more than enough stopping power but you need to get a little bit of heat in there for them to be at their best.
You get a satnav system, not the best by any means but it does do the job, rear parking sensors (fronts are an optional extra which is amusing considering the lower spec GT gets them as standard), auto lights, auto wipers, anti glare mirror, dual zone climate control etc, the only real options on the car that are not cosmetic are the front parking sensors for around 140 quid and the JBL sound system for around 300 quid.

The interior is definately way beyond what Peugeot use to produce in the late 90's, there is actually a bit of a quality feel to it, full leather over the dash and doors and the leather/alcantara seude on the very comfortable and supportive seats.
Seating position isnt too bad, it can take a little while to get into a comfortable position and the pedals are slightly off set to the right, its a little tight if you want to put your size 9 on the foot rest for example and some people complain about the clutch being a little high, it is but its not really an issue, its still light and easy to use.
Gearbox is lovely once warmed up, nice and slick with a very short throw, its also quite short ratio'd with the top speed of 155 (limited) and a theoretical speed of a little over 160ish mph without the limiter being there.

The steering is a hybrid electric system, it can feel a little vague on turn in if I am critical, I had this discussion with other RCZ R owners and we all came to the same conclusion that for the split second it feels like this, its not really off putting and you just get on with driving the car as it just turns in very well anyway and doesnt effect the way the car handles, though the front LSD is fantastic, get it to work in the dry or wet isnt a problem, it does its job excellently and gives a bit more clarity to the steering.

The engine is a real peach though, 270ps from its 1.6ltr forged unit which has been (along with the rest of the car) fettled by Peugeot's Sport Division, this included hardening the block, uprated Mahle pistons and rods and polymer coated bearings, in conjunction with its twin scroll turbo and adjustments to the camber and uprated suspension, give the car fantastic road holding without ruining the ride.
On the road the car just flows through corners and absorbs bumps, it can be a little lively on bad surfaces but then again so can most cars.
It does lack that feel of the quick rack the Spec C had but the handling is better as is the grip, its considerably better in the fuel consumption department though I have not tried to get the best economy out of the car possible (sitting in the low 50mph zone) but on a good run out she was still giving me low 40's to high 30mpg figures on Super Unleaded fuel, and I wasnt going slow either

Overall, even with the flaws the car has (front pillars and no blind spot wing mirrors are probably the worst thing about the car), its a fantastic machine, just ashame that Peugeot are not going to replace the RCZ at the end of life, the RCZ R is the sort of car that Peugeot use to make all the way up to the late 90's and has found its way back by producing this, the engine is no doubt destined to go into the 308 R and maybe the 208 R if they produce it.

Tony
Old 07 January 2015, 07:53 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. Been sat behind one of these on the way home from work a couple of nights. The thing that strikes me is the rear looks like a bare **** with how the body styling looks from the top of the car to the top of the boot. Maybe just me Or was that the purpose of the Peugeot designers to show the car behind it how fast it goes
Old 08 January 2015, 08:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nice write up; it's not quite my cup of tea but it's quite an engineering achievement.

I think we both have competent, quick cars that most of SN simply doesn't "get" but hell, we like them so it doesn't really matter!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 08 January 2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08 January 2015, 09:24 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up

Will you ever return to a spec c or subaru ownership Tony?
Old 08 January 2015, 10:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I like the interior, and I quite like the spec of the car, forged engine, twin scroll turbo, big Alcon brakes etc, but I just cant get past the 2+2 seater small coupe(Audi TT style) exterior, Put that spec in one of there hot hatches, like you say 208 R or 308 R this might interest me!!!
Old 08 January 2015, 10:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds fun

Have you had the top down.? Looks like targa roof

would teh engine go in my xsara ?

Last edited by dpb; 09 January 2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09 January 2015, 06:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the look of these but they are too small of a car for me
Old 09 January 2015, 07:07 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking car and more of a head turner to the TT

Quite a rare car like the Toyota gt86 and the subaru version of it
Old 06 February 2015, 01:23 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Nice write up; it's not quite my cup of tea but it's quite an engineering achievement.

I think we both have competent, quick cars that most of SN simply doesn't "get" but hell, we like them so it doesn't really matter!
Its a well engineered car considering its french plus its aimed at taking the mid range audi TT on rather than the TTS, still its one of the more attractive coupe's to look at in its class and one of the more powerful, will be nice to see what they can do with this engine, 300bhp one may be on the way and the 308 GT gets the newer engine with 270bhp as standard, wonder whats coming for the 308 R then....

Originally Posted by BBB3
Nice write up

Will you ever return to a spec c or subaru ownership Tony?
Hard one, this car pretty much ticks all the boxes, good fuel economy, cheap to service and run (insurance and tax, even tyres are not that bad), it handles great and you dont feel tired like you do with the Spec C on a long run (and you dont go looking for Shell garages after the first 50 miles )
If I were to come back to Subaru then it would have to be a special car to lure me, I would love an S202 or a 2005 Spec C RA, not much in the new range jumps out though, I also want spare parts in a couple of days and not in 6 months and there are just better cars out there to boot
Subaru has to do something special and its not there now, not even seen 1 new one on the road and ive driven from the top of Scotland to the bottom of England in the last 6 months, I have seen a couple more RCZR's though and there are only 138 of them on the road (less than the new Subaru), so that sort of tells you something.

Originally Posted by dpb
Sounds fun

Have you had the top down.? Looks like targa roof

would teh engine go in my xsara ?
Engine wont fit unfortunately as yours is a TU series and this isnt so all the mounts in the wrong place, roof is solid, there are rumours of a convertable but with Peugeot cutting down on the range it may not emerge
Old 07 February 2015, 05:39 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If I were to come back to Subaru then it would have to be a special car to lure me, I would love an S202
I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you Tony!

S202 is awesome!
Old 17 February 2015, 12:22 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Isn't the RCZR what Will Smith was in (clip from his new film shown on Top gear)
Old 17 February 2015, 08:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Isn't the RCZR what Will Smith was in (clip from his new film shown on Top gear)

Just a normal RCZ by the looks
Old 17 February 2015, 08:17 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Only got two second glimpse ;-)
Old 04 March 2015, 10:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

One of the guys on the RCZ forum has just had to replace his pads at 24k miles, price... a bargain at not much off £450
Old 05 March 2015, 08:52 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

One of the guys on the RCZ forum has just had to replace his pads at 24k miles, price... a bargain at not much off £450
Thats sickening, robbing b4stards!!

Must be something to do with french cars and over charging on parts, My brother bought some window-wipers for his Citroen that cost him £50. I bought some wipers the Golf and cost me £4 each!!!
Old 05 March 2015, 08:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

RC6 pads ?
Old 06 March 2015, 10:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
RC6 pads ?
Not sure, its whatever Alcon use with this setup, probably cheaper to go to alcon for them if they have not got a stopper on that, brake discs are around 1200 quid for a pair which isnt bad, people may complain about it but subaru dont charge much less for 330mm discs and those are not exactly top end like these are

Tony
Old 06 March 2015, 11:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

**** that right off.

I must be Pete's illegitimate son; Golf's done 40K on the original pads...Huge ATE calipers and 345mm discs.....

Sadly the rears are the same crappy TRW shyte as found on many other makes of car... its not sticking yet and the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper still works - for now (due to fail - its at the right age ) ...still, the replacement calipers are cheaper than your pads
Old 07 March 2015, 08:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's also occurred to me that the EIGHT pads required for the front of a Merc SL55 is almost half that price!
Old 07 March 2015, 12:14 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be inclined to try someone like this.. http://www.carbotech-europe.com

Might be a cheaper option if you have the time the vehicle can be off the road.
Old 07 March 2015, 12:23 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
**** that right off.

I must be Pete's illegitimate son; Golf's done 40K on the original pads...Huge ATE calipers and 345mm discs.....

Sadly the rears are the same crappy TRW shyte as found on many other makes of car... its not sticking yet and the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper still works - for now (due to fail - its at the right age ) ...still, the replacement calipers are cheaper than your pads
How can they justify that price?! It's hardly a flippin' super car is it? More fool the idiots who actually pay that.
Old 07 March 2015, 02:35 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And I thought my pads for my AP's were expensive @ £140, £450 is shocking, is that including labour to change them or just for the pads?
Old 07 March 2015, 07:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
And I thought my pads for my AP's were expensive @ £140, £450 is shocking, is that including labour to change them or just for the pads?
Well i hope fitted as well but you never know
Having a look at the alcon kits, these may be Pagid RS pads, in which case they are stupidly expensive (circa £300-399) depending which ones you get, I would need to find out but not many people have the R and not many have changed the pads or discs yet, though one of the guys in Germany does around 35k miles per annum in his so he will be one of the first to replace them.
The joys of having a 380mm Alcon brake setup

Tony