Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What Car to Replace Modified Widetrack STI

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2014, 09:43 AM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Car to Replace Modified Widetrack STI

I normally get itchy feet about cars after about 12 months. And now after owning the STI for 18+ months I’m a bit bored. I’m just wondering what to go to next. It’s a widetrack STI mapped to approx 330bhp, with coilovers.

I just want something that’s faster than my car, but a bit nicer to be in. But still a step up in performance. I’ve started doing track days but I wouldn’t want a stripped car, and I’ve been considering the following: (budget £13500 MAX)

What I really want is a more sensible Lotus Exige S. Or some version of that which I can run as a daily.

Options:

E46 M3 – maybe a bit heavy and too refined? I’ve always wanted one though. Expensive parts, but its an M3. I’d need to get one that already had coilovers & a brake upgrade.

ZM Coupe – As above, too refined and smooth? Quite expensive to buy. Look to be out of my price range

BMW 135i/335i – Tempted with the twin turbo 3.0 engine, but the open diff, and soft comfy setup is putting me off. Also childishly, I don’t know if I’d be happy knowing I didn’t have the M3 or 135M top of the range dedicated performance car.

Porsche Cayman S – Really like these, but servicing costs are scaring me. But looking into it a bit further the intervals are quite long, so if I plan and save, it could be an option!

Cheap S2000 with a supercharger kit – This is appealing. But it means that I’m losing any ‘trading-up’ potential when it comes to change car next time. Buy a car valued at approx £4000-£5000, second hand supercharger kits are out there under £2000, get it mapped for 400bhp and buy a nice kit for it. BUT they look wrong without the hardtop, and all the ‘special’ looking ones have the insanely expensive Mugen hardtop.

Project BMW E30 325 turbo – Again, as above, Id lose the ‘trade-up’ value of building the capital in my car. But knowing an absolutely genius of metalwork, it would be feasible to make an E30 M3 replica (new rear window panel & arches) and then get it sprayed, and fit either an E36 M3 lump or turbo the 325 block.

Or I could just spend a bit more money on mine (wheels, carbon bits, front end respray & paint correction)…

Basically, I’ve got bored and I don’t know what to do. I’m struggling to find a set of alloys in my price range that are wide enough to look good but not too wide, and the solution seems to be to sell up. But Ive just spent nearly a grand on the STI and I don’t really want to shift it on!
Old 15 December 2014, 09:54 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

An E46 M3 will actually be slower than your Impreza.
I'd go for the Z4MC (if that's what you mean?) - cracking little car, very nice looking, fairly civilized. Just aware that you won't get that turbo kick so it might actually feel slower but it's a sub 5s to 50 little rocket.

The older 135i (which is in budget) is VERY tuneable indeed with many seeing over 400bhp - then you have a properly lairy mini supercar baiter. And RWD is FUN! You can fit an LSD is you want to later on.
Old 15 December 2014, 10:35 AM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

I'm with you! The 135i is really appealing to me to be honest...
Old 15 December 2014, 10:39 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesDundee
I'm with you! The 135i is really appealing to me to be honest...
Babybmw.net is a good place to look - sadly spoiled by a cliquey bunch of weirdos but it's definitely a mine of information.

Some of them have done mad things to their 135is - it's the twin turbo N54 engine so lots can be done with it. Options for my single (twin scroll) turbo N55 engined M135i are more limited but the tuners are beginning to get some silly numbers out of them.
Old 15 December 2014, 11:03 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E46 m3 and turbo it
Old 15 December 2014, 11:04 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
E46 m3 and turbo it
not a £1000 wrx with an ebay spoiler???
Old 15 December 2014, 11:08 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
And ahem, some stickers.
Old 15 December 2014, 11:10 AM
fawor
BANNED

Its suits my wrx ppp
, how about Your fake lip and zunsport grille with fake sti sticker
If i sell it for 1k but i don't think so, it is after accident car, i will buy You one way ticket to
I. Country to join Your friends
Old 15 December 2014, 11:13 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Its suits my wrx ppp
, how about Your fake lip and zunsport grille with fake sti sticker
If i sell it for 1k but i don't think so, it is after accident car, i will buy You one way ticket to
I. Country to join Your friends
ive no idea what that even says

are you saying your old wrx has been in an accident and has a fake sti sticker??
Old 15 December 2014, 11:15 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
And ahem, some stickers.
Well shame You need to stay on that subaru forum as no one would listen You on bmw sites with geyish style bmw1
be man swap that carp
Old 15 December 2014, 11:16 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
And ahem, some stickers.
My ticket offer is for You to

Last edited by fawor; 15 December 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 15 December 2014, 11:18 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well shame You need to stay on that subaru forum as no one would listen You on bmw sites with geyish style bmw1
be man swap that crap
It would appear that your IQ is less than your shoe size - and I bet you have small feet too.

I shall not engage in any form of conversation with a retard. Nice try though.
Old 15 December 2014, 11:20 AM
fawor
BANNED

ive no idea what that even says

are you saying your old wrx has been in an accident and has a fake sti sticker??
Don't be dumber than You are
Yours sti has fake sti lip and zunsport grille with fake sti sticker
Yes my wrx has been in an accident, than i owe it for free now.
Old 15 December 2014, 11:28 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Don't be dumber than You are
Yours sti has fake sti lip and zunsport grille with fake sti sticker
Yes my wrx has been in an accident, than i owe it for free now.
but my sti has 430 bhp remember, not like your old 200 bhp crashed wrx
Old 15 December 2014, 11:31 AM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

My eyes! They burn!

Cant make sense of most of this.

But yeah, E46 M3 Turbo would take me into big bucks, most likely would cost £7,000+ to do properly, which is fast approaching E90 M3 or IS-F money.
Old 15 December 2014, 12:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Z4MC; case closed
Old 15 December 2014, 12:37 PM
Deanamoore
Scooby Regular

Why do you feel fat Thomas to post on most threads about a wrx.if someone is happy with there car what is your issue.a thread that does not relate to any form of wrx,but you being sad still have to post your rubbish grow up.an as for ya 430 bhp Sti big wow.not nothing to shout about really.
As for the car 135 if I was choosing defo not the m3 you will not be in that for longer than 12 months.
Old 15 December 2014, 01:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanamoore
Why do you feel fat Thomas to post on most threads about a wrx.if someone is happy with there car what is your issue.a thread that does not relate to any form of wrx,but you being sad still have to post your rubbish grow up.an as for ya 430 bhp Sti big wow.not nothing to shout about really.
As for the car 135 if I was choosing defo not the m3 you will not be in that for longer than 12 months.
Old 15 December 2014, 02:41 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Be careful if you're looking at the e46 M3. They have a tendency for the rear floor mounting points (for the read sub-frame) to crack. It appears to be when it will happen, rather than if. Repairs to get it done properly (depending upon how bad it's cracked) could run to around £1.8k. Once it starts to go (and not resolved) it will keep getting worse, which will result in a MOT failure at some point.

Just something to be aware of.
Old 15 December 2014, 04:27 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Z4MC, E39 M5, 350/370Z (70 is slightly out of budget). Or how about some kit car and a regular bland hatchback for the best of both worlds?
Old 15 December 2014, 04:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Z4mc or S2000 for me, but I would sooner go with something that's good out of the box as opposed to modding, you'll never get back what you spend on it so better to buy something at the top of your budget than for £5k and spend another £5k+ on mods, that or buy a car someone has already spent a fortune on, modding is a mugs game unless you plan on keeping it for a good few years.
Old 15 December 2014, 04:54 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Be careful if you're looking at the e46 M3. They have a tendency for the rear floor mounting points (for the read sub-frame) to crack.
Yeah I've been making sure to see repairs in the service history when Ive been browsing.

Originally Posted by Scooby-doo97
Z4MC, E39 M5, 350/370Z (70 is slightly out of budget). Or how about some kit car and a regular bland hatchback for the best of both worlds?
I couldnt have 2 cars (no parking), and 350Zs dont do anything for me... BUT E39 M5 is total dream car material. But I dont know if its a bit too mature for me. Plus would it feel that much better than my STI?

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Z4mc or S2000 for me, but I would sooner go with something that's good out of the box as opposed to modding, you'll never get back what you spend on it so better to buy something at the top of your budget than for £5k and spend another £5k+ on mods, that or buy a car someone has already spent a fortune on, modding is a mugs game unless you plan on keeping it for a good few years.
Very good point. Saying what I already know really. Only thing is Id be losing 90bhp with the S2000. I know its less than that in the real world, what with drivetrain losses of the STI, and vehicle weight etc, but its still a tough selling point for me....
Old 15 December 2014, 05:00 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What about an rs4?
Old 15 December 2014, 05:17 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I've been making sure to see repairs in the service history when Ive been browsing.

I couldnt have 2 cars (no parking), and 350Zs dont do anything for me... BUT E39 M5 is total dream car material. But I dont know if its a bit too mature for me. Plus would it feel that much better than my STI?

Very good point. Saying what I already know really. Only thing is Id be losing 90bhp with the S2000. I know its less than that in the real world, what with drivetrain losses of the STI, and vehicle weight etc, but its still a tough selling point for me....
My best mate had one(S2000) and is currently on the look out for another in the new year, There's not a lot in it power wise in the real world compared to an Impreza, yes they're slightly slower off the mark but I'd wager it's quicker at hustling around a dry twisty track like Cadwell. We're off to do Nurburgring in his new one next summer and maybe Monza and a general tear **** around Europe for a week or two. His last one was a hoot to drive and not really lacking in the power department unless you want to be silly, but they will take upto 600bhp with the standard engine as it's forged from the factory, also capable of huge miles if well looked after, had his last one for 4yrs with zero problems and only got rid of it because he needed something bigger for a house renovation but that's all done now so he's after another.

I'd have one in a heart beat if I could live with a two seater, sublime handling car, I love em, great fun on road or track and a nice place to be too.
Old 15 December 2014, 05:31 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Aaaaargh confused again haha
Old 15 December 2014, 05:34 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
What about an rs4?
Would love one. But the shape I want (b7?) is a bit dear and speaking to some people they're "not the quickest thing in the world", which I was disappointed to hear.
Old 15 December 2014, 05:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

plenty of e46's around with repair on subframe already done.
Old 15 December 2014, 06:17 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

335i?
Old 15 December 2014, 06:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

put your car in storage for 6 months and get a scrapper to drive round in

then when you get the car back you won't be so bored
Old 15 December 2014, 06:47 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair enough mate. Go and test drive an M5, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Compared to an M3, more doors (more ****** ), better engine (V8), better ride and less common.

Quick Reply: What Car to Replace Modified Widetrack STI