Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

2015 RS3

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2014, 06:35 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RS3

God, talk about a bland car! Looks just like an everyday A3 TDI. Only you can spec nicer wheels on the Diesel.

And 67bhp more than the S3? Poor.

Why no Saloon?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...led-2014-12-11
Old 13 December 2014, 06:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The availability of wider front than rear tyres is an objection I couldn't overcome.
Old 13 December 2014, 07:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's not all about the stats: Unlike the S3 though, that 5 cylinder engine makes a proper noise instead of the continuous wet fart that the S3 (or Golf R) makes . If they did a 3door with a full manual gearbox, I'd have one.

No 4pot engine can give that kind of emotion or soul...ever. Maybe a scoob, a tuned Lotus, a BDA and a well sorted Kwak Z1, but thats it. And for that reason is why I'd wouldn't even give a S3 a second glance.

Its a huge pity as unfortunately the engine in the RS3 is the only good bit of this car.... Audi still insist on fitting it with a Definitely Sh*t Gearbox (DSG...AKA Sh*tronic ), and making it an Avant only.....why?

Proof that the S3 sounds crap is that Audi fit a speaker to the bulkhead to make it sound more "rorty". It fails.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 December 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 13 December 2014, 07:15 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I dont like all the silver detailing on this RS3, would look a lot meaner if it had carbon fibre intakes on the bumper(where its silver) and carbon mirrors etc, then it would look a bit better!!!

But lets see when there out on the roads, as I hated the S3 at first as it looks like a normal A3, but seeing a few about at the moment and they do look tasty!!!
Old 13 December 2014, 10:52 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's anywhere near as boring as the last RS3 it'll be another huge disappointment.
Old 14 December 2014, 10:24 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
If it's anywhere near as boring as the last RS3 it'll be another huge disappointment.
Quite like the last RS3, what was wrong with it?? The only thing with the RS3's is that all the other RS range looks quite beefy and has so much road presence, but the RS3 looks like a normal A3 sportback with some big wheels, but im guessing the engine is supposed to be its party piece and they take well to some tuning mods to make them very fast!!
Old 14 December 2014, 11:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

The engine is its party piece without a doubt. It probably could deliver alot more over its 2.0 counterparts....afterall its not a EJ25. ( snigger )

We've lost so many characterful and distinctve engines in a world where now every hot hatch/everyday sports car is 2.0 4pot. Which makes it no different to its competitors. We need to encourage manufacturers not to follow the same path as everyone else otherwise performance cars will get even more boring and monotonous.

For example, off the top of my head:
We've lost the VR6. (It even made a Ford Galaxy interesting )
We've lost the V5 (Gutless, but that meant you had a good excuse to thrash it, where it sounds at its best)
We've lost the the Alfa V6 (I drove a knackered old 156 2.5V6 two weeks ago, what a shed, but bloody hell it sounded it good).
We've lost the Clio V6 (nuts, just nuts)
We've lost the ST24 /ST220 (Ok they never set your hair on fire in any guise, but again a good excuse to thrash it just for the noise )
We've lost the Ford/Volvo inline 5 (can anyone say the current Focus ST sounds better than the old one? If they do, they need their ears reaming with a cork screw)

Ironic that running costs is one of the driving forces for their demise...when now petrol is getting cheaper.
Old 14 December 2014, 12:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Not mad keen but at least it's not another four pot bland wagon.
Old 14 December 2014, 12:18 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The engine is its party piece without a doubt. It probably could deliver alot more over its 2.0 counterparts....afterall its not a EJ25. ( snigger )

We've lost so many characterful and distinctve engines in a world where now every hot hatch/everyday sports car is 2.0 4pot. Which makes it no different to its competitors. We need to encourage manufacturers not to follow the same path as everyone else otherwise performance cars will get even more boring and monotonous.

For example, off the top of my head:
We've lost the VR6. (It even made a Ford Galaxy interesting )
We've lost the V5 (Gutless, but that meant you had a good excuse to thrash it, where it sounds at its best)
We've lost the the Alfa V6 (I drove a knackered old 156 2.5V6 two weeks ago, what a shed, but bloody hell it sounded it good).
We've lost the Clio V6 (nuts, just nuts)
We've lost the ST24 /ST220 (Ok they never set your hair on fire in any guise, but again a good excuse to thrash it just for the noise )
We've lost the Ford/Volvo inline 5 (can anyone say the current Focus ST sounds better than the old one? If they do, they need their ears reaming with a cork screw)

Ironic that running costs is one of the driving forces for their demise...when now petrol is getting cheaper.
Good point on the focus st! The old 5 pot in the st/rs focus just sounds like an old Audi quattro rally car. Love that noise nearly as much as a scooby burble.
Old 14 December 2014, 12:27 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobP1
Good point on the focus st! The old 5 pot in the st/rs focus just sounds like an old Audi quattro rally car. Love that noise nearly as much as a scooby burble.
Love the sound of mine
http://instagram.com/p/lCyKKbThk7/?modal=true
Old 14 December 2014, 04:46 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theboy
Thats sounds insane!!

Love the sound of the mk2 Focus RS, even when just normal driving its popping and banging and just screaming "look at me" great cars, just hope the Mk3 is as good!!!
Old 14 December 2014, 08:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

RS3 would suit me. Can't see too much of a problem with it really. Guess we all want different things I like fast, practical cars. What the Audi RS models offer is practical performance, the best of them IMO are cars like the RS4 and RS6 Avants. The RS3 being a 5 door is awesome IMO. I love the the fact the kids can get in without dicking about and the hatch is something I miss almost weekly since buying a saloon!

4wd, 5cyl Turbo, 5 door, flared arches, sweet interior... Superb
Old 14 December 2014, 08:49 PM
fawor
BANNED

new m3 has flared arches but those thing looks like standard audi,even no new dials
Old 14 December 2014, 08:59 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
new m3 has flared arches but those thing looks like standard audi,even no new dials
not a patch on a wrx with an ebay spoiler no doubt
Old 14 December 2014, 10:24 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/rs...-rs3-sportback

I like how it says A45 is 355,yes it is quoted to be BUT I've yet to see one from the factory come anywhere near 355 in fact the lowest recorded BHP for the A45 was 371 and the highest I've seen from factory was 395 on MSLs GLA45,

I also agree with the post the 5 pot is a nice engine, but the A3 just doesn't look good, as they say it's subtle and looks like a TDI....

Sorry but if I'm buyin an Rs3 I want in ya faceness lol

There is only one RS worth having and that's just too far out my budget at the moment

RS6 I'd have one of them babies

Last edited by Littleted; 14 December 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 15 December 2014, 04:46 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
not a patch on a wrx with an ebay spoiler no doubt
Wrx ppp bit.ch,
with ebay fake evo roof fins to,
I did not compare it to wrx
i could only do it wrx vs sti widetrack without dccd form EU import- with welded parts from 3 others.
tubbs take a banny route please

Last edited by fawor; 15 December 2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 15 December 2014, 06:11 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
Wrx ppp bit.ch,
with ebay fake evo roof fins to,
I did not compare it to wrx
i could only do it wrx vs sti widetrack without dccd form EU import- with welded parts from 3 others.
tubbs take a banny route please
Old 15 December 2014, 11:05 AM
Vtec-Abuser
Scooby Regular

Audi still insist on fitting it with a Definitely Sh*t Gearbox (DSG...AKA Sh*tronic )
WTF?!?!

I would hardly call DSG/S-tronic a **** gearbox. You may be from the manual camp and not like auto boxes, but calling the first ever twin clutch gearbox **** is a bit much - especially considering most manufacturers have since followed suit and they are now used in some of the best cars available on the market (Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren etc)..
Old 15 December 2014, 11:07 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vtec-Abuser
WTF?!?!

I would hardly call DSG/S-tronic a **** gearbox. You may be from the manual camp and not like auto boxes, but calling the first ever twin clutch gearbox **** is a bit much - especially considering most manufacturers have since followed suit and they are now used in some of the best cars available on the market (Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren etc)..
It's utter **** on the van and VW CC I drove for over a week. Fairly good in the S4 though.

The ZF auto in ours feels light years ahead though - quick, does what you tell it too, no hesitation when pulling away, lets you change down very late. Manual mode is actually properly useable, not just a gimmick. SO much better than the 6 speed in the 335d.
Old 15 December 2014, 12:14 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Quote from Honest John when I mailed em.

Going for the BMW avoids potential problems with the DSG/s-tronic transmission on the Audi.
Old 15 December 2014, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Vtec-Abuser
WTF?!?!

If Audi, offered a choice of transmission. I wouldn't be moaning about it. This means that the RS3 is not desirable to me. Which is a problem as if Audi did offer a choice it would be my ideal replacement for my aging Golf. I could harp on about the drivability flaws and all the other issues I've experienced with them, but thats besides the point.

Don't think that just because a Ferrari has one, it automatically makes it "good". What makes it suitable for one type of car and its target market doesn't mean its suitable for every other car or driver in the world.

Much like BMW refusing to sell the AWD M135i Xdrive in the UK, another car crossed off the want list. Give me the choice and I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 December 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 15 December 2014, 02:00 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could have a M135i Xdrive if you didn't mind LHD..
Old 15 December 2014, 02:11 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

If Audi, offered a choice of transmission. I wouldn't be moaning about it. This means that the RS3 is not desirable to me. Which is a problem as if Audi did offer a choice it would be my ideal replacement for my aging Golf. I could harp on about the drivability flaws and all the other issues I've experienced with them, but thats besides the point.

Don't think that just because a Ferrari has one, it automatically makes it "good". What makes it suitable for one type of car and its target market doesn't mean its suitable for every other car or driver in the world.

Much like BMW refusing to sell the AWD M135i Xdrive in the UK, another car crossed off the want list. Give me the choice and I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Yes it puzzles me at why BM do this. They did manual versions of the E60 M5 and F10 M5 for the US but not UK?! They won't offer xdrive on the 135. Above all why won't they sell the 550d xdrive in the UK? Is it because it will humble the flagship M5?

Last edited by Maz; 15 December 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 15 December 2014, 02:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

An M5 is a lot quicker than a 550d but still not sure why they don't sell them here.
Old 15 December 2014, 02:29 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
An M5 is a lot quicker than a 550d but still not sure why they don't sell them here.
The official line is the four wheel drive hardware would get in the way of doing the swap from left to right. In the real world there is little in performance terms between the M5 and the 550d. The M5 ultimately is the quicker but the diesel is twice as frugal.
Old 15 December 2014, 02:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I spent six years (almost) with a 300bhp diesel - they are also very quick but an M car isn't just about shove. You have high 300s bhp vs 550ish - no amount of torque evens that out. Then the stronger brakes, heavily tweaked chassis, etc.

200bhp/tonne vs 300.

0-60 in under 4s compared to 5
0-100 in 7.8 vs 12.2

Almost 7s quicker around "Hockenheim Short"

Even my M-lite is quicker than a 550d (4s quicker around the track, over a second quicker to 100)
Old 15 December 2014, 07:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

That's why I'm looking to buy an S3 Saloon. Think the Saloon is the Best looking A3 going (at least in S Spec) and can be bought with a manual transmission.

Selling the MK7 Golf GTI. Had nothing but trouble with it.

Getting a price on the Golf this weekend, and can get a build slot to get the new S3 for March.
Old 15 December 2014, 08:15 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

After reading about the RS3 I'm glad we went for the A45 as I just don't think its special enough. I'm not saying the A45 is the best thing since sliced bread as it has its faults but the RS3 really does just look like a S3 Sportback.
Old 15 December 2014, 08:16 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
That's why I'm looking to buy an S3 Saloon. Think the Saloon is the Best looking A3 going (at least in S Spec) and can be bought with a manual transmission.

Selling the MK7 Golf GTI. Had nothing but trouble with it.

Getting a price on the Golf this weekend, and can get a build slot to get the new S3 for March.
I'm liking the look of the S3 Saloon, especially in that nice metallic blue they come in.
Old 15 December 2014, 08:36 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah and the right wheels , saloon can have 19s and maybe even 20s hatch is stuck with 18s which really annoyed me.

Quick Reply: 2015 RS3