Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Fast Start Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2009, 06:56 PM
GScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast Start Car Insurance

Just thought some of you mature guys or ladies on here with sons or daughters looking for car insurance for the first time may want to read the following. Some insurance companies offer a fast start policy, pay for 6 / 10 months etc at a premium price and they say if they remain accident / claim free they get 1 year no claims discount on the renewal ! What they don't tell you is, only if you renew with them and the price is very much inflated. We rang 12 or so insurance companies when the renewal came up and none would take the one year no claims discount on, as my son had not been driving for a year so in my mind the policy we were sold is in valid / useless. I have contacted the insurance company we bought the policy off and they have denied it was mis sold. I invited them to find an insurer who would accept the terms of the policy and they replied it is not up to them. I have referred the complaint to the insurance ombudsman who cannot take on the case for 8 weeks after the initial complaint. Looks like the £1032 for a six month policy has been a waste of time as regards my son getting a no claims bonus built up. Back where we started. However we managed to get 1 year for just under £1400 where the original fast start policy for renewal was £1900. Any advice from anyone or similat tales and outcomes appriciated. All l will add is. ASK ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS WHEN YOU RING FOR A POLICY.
P.S. Don't know if l can name the Toss*** on this site but if so more than willing to give names of insurers who try to sell the Fast Start Policy.
Old 07 October 2009, 08:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Very common problem

The amount of people who go for 10 month policies and then get stung come renewal is shocking.
Old 14 October 2009, 11:48 AM
Greg1801
Scooby Regular

i know of a certain few insurance companys who do this and i have also been stung by the price of renewal, i should of had a year no claims this year but instead found myself having to start again with some1 different, and now will only ever do 12 months insurance policies.
Old 14 October 2009, 08:16 PM
GScooby
Scooby Regular

Default Insurance

Maybe light on the horizon if your prepared to go the whole road.
I contacted the insurance ombusman and told them the story. They said we had a good case and would pursue on our behalf. They were very helpful and gave some good advice. They sent a letter to us and the insurance company stating what the complaint was about. They also advised us that the insurance company has to reply to you with their decision within a four week period. Guess what, we got our letter of the decision on the last day of the four weeks! This is a ploy l have heard as they hope you drop the claim and shutup. Not me, l rang them back to advise them l was not happy with the reply and would refer the reply to the Insurance Ombusman. Got a phonecall today from the insurance company wanting to make a settlement of the original fee we paid. Only a quarter of the original price but its a start of a bigger payout.
My advice is tell them you are not happy with the sale of the policy and refer it to the Insurance Ombusman, tell the insurance company you have done this. Sit tight and don't let them fob you off. I have sent an email saying as they are prepared to settle we will accept a better offer of around half of the original payment, l have worded it in such a way that they are still up £500 as we have had no claim. "Money for nothing" So fingers crossed we may get a refund. Stick it out and don't take NO for answer. Good Luck. I also told them that if the Insurance Ombusman failed in anyway that l would pursue them through the small claims courts which does not cost anything. They don't want the hassle and just hope you drop the claim. Stick it out you may get more than you think.