Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Recommended roads in the Lake District

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2005, 12:45 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended roads in the Lake District

Ok, going to stay a few days in my mother's carava in Bassenthwaite next week, anyone recommend some good driving roads.....without any bright blue & yellow vans or scameras preferably?

I understand the A686 is loved by bikers which has to be a good sign? I've done the Honister pass already which is just scary and not fun Any recommendations are most welcome.

Also I'm sure Cumbria's boys in blue used to have the list of mobile sites for the coming weeks on their website but I can't seem to find anything, has this now dissapeared?
Old 03 July 2005, 06:36 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

scg,

Not many of the Cumbriam lads come onto SN.

You may be better asking the question on the www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk forum

Good Luck

Martin
Old 03 July 2005, 06:45 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

scg you will find that all roads in the lakes are made for scoobs,the A686 is very busy at the weekend for the biker faternity but should be ok midweek plus you can get a cup of coffee at the cafe at hartside to get your breath back its a very quick road.As for speed cameras there is only one in cumbria and that is at the ings just after Kendal on the way to windermere.
Old 03 July 2005, 08:41 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the mobile cameras! http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org

I personally think Hartside is targeted by the Police too much to use for a run out. There are plenty of other spectacular roads. Try going from Bassenthwaite to cockermouth. Then head down to Lorton and over Whin latter Pass. In Braithwaite turn right and head up over Newlands Pass. At buttermere turn left and continue past the lake and up over Honister Pass. Stop at the mining museum on hte top for a cuppa then drop over into Borrowdale and off for a bit of shopping in Keswick. You're guranteed some excellent views as long as the mist is above the mountain tops!
Old 03 July 2005, 10:07 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx

I personally think Hartside is targeted by the Police too much to use for a run out. There are plenty of other spectacular roads. Try going from Bassenthwaite to cockermouth. Then head down to Lorton and over Whin latter Pass. In Braithwaite turn right and head up over Newlands Pass. At buttermere turn left and continue past the lake and up over Honister Pass. Stop at the mining museum on hte top for a cuppa then drop over into Borrowdale and off for a bit of shopping in Keswick. You're guranteed some excellent views as long as the mist is above the mountain tops!
Up that way myself on Tuesday, thanks for that Mark.
Old 04 July 2005, 12:05 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx

Cool, not been Cockermouth way before so may give it a shot. Shame about Hartside, maybe I'll get up early one day and beat them to it ;-) Found the mobile sites on the website don't know how I'd missed it when I looked earlier. Cheers.
Old 04 July 2005, 12:27 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Cool

[QUOTE=scg]Cool, not been Cockermouth way before so may give it a shot. QUOTE]

LOL - Im so childish Hee Hee
Old 04 July 2005, 06:46 PM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Hardnott Pass into Eskdale. 1st & 2nd gear tester!!!!
Old 04 July 2005, 10:14 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Abdabz]
Originally Posted by scg
Cool, not been Cockermouth way before so may give it a shot. QUOTE]

LOL - Im so childish Hee Hee
Yes, I did think that it would be hard to say the 'C' word without it being taken the wrong way.....there I go again ;-)
Old 04 July 2005, 10:25 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Oh yeh, and are there a lot of Optimax outlets over there?! Any details appreciated as the search facility on the Shell Optimax site is sh@gged
Old 04 July 2005, 10:45 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

There are two Optimax garages in Cockermouth. There is also an Esso garage with SUL just in case. The Optimax places are on the main roads into town from the A66 roundabouts. Be warned it is NOT cheap!
Old 04 July 2005, 10:45 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

scg you will find two optimax garages in cockermouth and there is an optimax garage at Penrith just off the motorway, shell optimax is a dying breed in the lakes,BP seem to be taking over with that crap they call ultimate.
Old 04 July 2005, 10:46 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

**** Mark got in before me
Old 05 July 2005, 11:48 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Old 10 July 2005, 10:17 AM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Wink

The Optimax in Cockermouth is about 94.9p but there is one in Crooklands (M6 J6) which is *cheap* at 91.9p/l

I like driving the road from Keswick to Grasmere but watch out for the triple yumps on the southbound dual carraigeway just before the St John in the Vale turn off as they are all on bends
Old 19 July 2005, 08:15 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusty.
The Optimax in Cockermouth is about 94.9p but there is one in Crooklands (M6 J6) which is *cheap* at 91.9p/l

I like driving the road from Keswick to Grasmere but watch out for the triple yumps on the southbound dual carraigeway just before the St John in the Vale turn off as they are all on bends
Ha ha I know which 'yumps' you mean! Speaking of which we did leave the ground for a wee while on the approach to the Honister pass. Girlfriend said "don't make my tummy jump" approaching a little bump so as I could see over the other side did the exact opposite and applied a little bit of gas and oops left tarmac for a while. Didn't get the earbashing I was expecting, think she could see how suprised I was.

Had a good drive over as well on the A65, nice few runs over the A66 especially the fantastic 'rollercoaster' bit near Penrith, A5091 pretty good between A66 and Aira Force. Very pleasant driving experience.
Old 20 July 2005, 06:41 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

The A66 is a good run over the top's the scenery is fantastic on a sunney day you can see for miles. Just be careful by the Co.DURHAM and CUMBRIA border with the road like a rollacoster the CUMBRIA traffic cars have a habit of parking up in the dips so you don't see them until you are almost on top of them ,then it's too late they have got you...

Another road that i enjoy driving is between SEDBROUGH and KIRKBY LONSDALE 10 miles of tight roads hairpin corners hump backed bridges..........

Just becareful their alot of bikers that run that streatch of road also...

I am going to be around there over the weekend and i am well looking forward to it haven't driven thoes roads for a while now.........
Old 22 July 2005, 01:56 PM
scoobyPAT
Scooby Regular

A66 is an amazing drive with great scenery and lovely sweeping bends as well as the occasional tight bend or head on the roof / **** in the seat type of hill and valley.

The A6 is very very fast (but use caution as this can be busy and sometimes has plod on it.)

One of my favourites is the Kirkstone pass though, start just outside Windermere at mid to late evening on a weekday (very little traffic) and this can be one demanding drive but really will put a smile on your face. You get hillside views, sheer drops, wooded areas, blind crests (nothing too sinister) with some nice flowing roller coastery bits in between. Just as another note you can start at Ambleside if you wish and climb the struggle past Troutbeck to join the Kirkstone, but take it easy as this is a very narrow road and steep isn't the word.

Some of you may find the A6 too boring and the Kirkstone too slow but in my defence I do drive a RWD car (200sx) and these are a couple of runs I really like.

I use the Kirkby Lonsdale road to visit my parents when they're staying up there and although a bit off beat for the 200 it is a damn fine Scooby road.

I use the Penrith Optimax outlet when we go to the lakes (price seemed reasonable enough) but I didn't know that there was one in Cockermouth so I'll make a note of that one.

Oh and have fun but remember slow down for villages

Last edited by scoobyPAT; 22 July 2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 22 July 2005, 02:18 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

There's a section of the A66 towards Workington / Cockermouth that's only small, about a mile long, but it has humps and bumps and tight sweeping bends in it!!! The best bit of road I've driven, apart from the A57 Snake Pass Not exactly sure of the location, but its quite a bit past the lakes area.

Have fun (safely)