Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Caution on the way to Elvington tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 07:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Caution on the way to Elvington tomorrow

There seems to be some sort of campaign being implemented tomorrow, so watch your speeds throughout West Yorkshire. Expect lots of vans and patrols

http://www.saferroadsday.com/
Old 30 April 2005, 07:58 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

It's the National Road Safety thingy Dave. Cobblers in my book,everyone just carries on as they normally do.
Old 30 April 2005, 08:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

OK, flat 90 all the way there then

Kph of course
Old 30 April 2005, 11:49 PM
chrisT.O.T.B.
Scooby Regular

same with anyone going to york dragway for the rwyb, go steady in the villages! (plenty of nice roads that are quieter!)
Old 01 May 2005, 09:16 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Dear me just checked out their website what a joke "So, if you see safety
cameras at the side of the road, you are in a proven casualty "blackspot"..." why completely undermine their campaign by stating something so blatantly untrue.

I filled in their questionaire which asked what was the one thing you'd like tackled to stop accidents - so I put 'other' and gave them 'people having to constantly watch the speedometer instead of the road due to lines of speed cameras'.

I don't know where they get the phrase "It's your roads, it's your responsibility" from - roads are anything but the drivers'. That's the thing that annoys me the most about the whole speed cameras affair is that we allegedly live in a democracy yet most people don't want them. Ho hum.
Old 03 May 2005, 02:51 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

I've just had the following email back, love the comment that the only person injured that day wasn't from West Yorkshire implying she didn't know how to drive safely because she was unaware they were having a campaign that day??!?! Unbelievable.

Thank you for visiting saferroadsday.com and for taking part in our survey
on: What's the biggest issue YOU think Safer Roads Day should tackle? It's a
myth, actually, that drivers have to be constantly on the lookout for speed
cameras... if you're driving legally, there's no need to be constantly on
the lookout for the cameras. Only if you're driving illegally.

What you'll probably be most interested in, though, is: how did Safer Roads
Day go?

On Safer Roads Day May 1st 2005 it was our ambition that NO-ONE would be
killed or seriously hurt on local roads.

Well... thanks to conscientious car drivers like you, we did it!

For the whole 24 hours of May 1st 2005 there were NO fatalities and NO
serious casualties across the whole of West Yorkshire. In fact there was
only ONE injury-causing road crash. It was on the M62 westbound at
Scammonden when a Nissan car left the road and collided with a road sign.
The woman driver sustained chest, leg and neck injuries, though not serious.
Interestingly, she wasn't from West Yorkshire and so hadn't seen or heard
anything about Safer Roads Day. NO-ONE from round here was hurt in a road
crash.

So... where do we go from here?

It would be wonderful if every day was Safer Roads Day, and no one was
killed or seriously hurt on the roads. We can all play our party by making
sure to take extra care of ourself and those around us on the roads... and
telling everyone you know to do the same. And, if you're driving, please
keep within the speed limits because travelling at excess or inappropriate
speed is the biggest single cause of crashes on local roads.

On Safer Roads Day 2005, you really did help make a difference. Thank you

Philip J Gwynne MCIPR MCIM Head of Public Affairs
Old 03 May 2005, 04:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

So, traffic fatalities have remained static at around 3500 per year for 10 years now, even though 2-3 million motorists are penalised for minor infringements of often ridiculous limits which as we know are set for the purposes of revenue generation, not safety. A recent study highlighted on Channel Five's 5th Gear stated that 600 people a year die due to impacts with roadside furniture (telegrapgh poles, street lighting, signage etc) and the only person injured on this special day just happened to hit such an obstacle, and no-one knows whether it was a result of speeding (in a Micra, I doubt it) and her injuries could have been so much less if some of the money ploughed into scameras had been used more intelligently. The annual 2-3 million are almost all still alive I'd guess ! I speed daily, not that I am proud of the fact, I simply enjoy it when it seems suitable for me to do so, and I am still breathing ! In fact, whenever you here about a serious road accident it usually coincides with extreme weather, drink or drugs or sometimes mechanical failure. More often than not it is simply p!$$ poor driving, and the standard on Britains roads is getting worse by the day. Speed will always be a contributary factor to the severity, but seldom (7% in the last independent, and hence believable study) the cause.

Originally Posted by ****
travelling at excess or inappropriate speed is the biggest single cause of crashes on local roads
Old 03 May 2005, 04:30 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Nice reply mate.

I always wheel out the Top Gear (I think) soundbyte where they showed;
  • A Granny driving past a camera in a Micra at 3 MPH over the 40 limit. Snap.
  • A mother of two distracted by the kids in the back. 5 MPH over the limit. Snap
  • A chav in an uninsured, MOT failure, RS Turbo death trap doing 65 in the 40 with a can of lager in his hand braking hard as he spots the camera... 39... drives away at speed..
Says it all.. Completely black and white with no decision making capablities. Put some more traffic cops on the road who are able to look at the circumstances and act accordingly.. simple.
Old 03 May 2005, 06:04 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

I think it was:

the Granny - snap
The Chav - No snap
Osama Bin Laden - No snap

Don't recall the distracted mother unless I was been er distracted!
Old 03 May 2005, 06:27 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

It's just yet another load of nonsense dreamt up by some paper shuffling imbecile on far too much money.

Rather than look deeply into the real causes of accidents and fatalities the Government do what they always do....bury their heads in the sand, hammer the decent upstanding citizens cos they know they will pay up and completely ignore the real problems.
Old 03 May 2005, 06:41 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

scq. Your weren't distracted, my lad reminded me of the TG one with Osama, and it wasn't that one.. Very similar however with the same message..

Paul... I agree. I can't understand why they keep going after the easy targets? Counter productive and, as you state, doesn't address the real issues.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:20 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I got my email response FPMSL when it started "we hope you feel much better now you've got that rambling and irrational rant off your chest!" I'm off to send them a reply
Old 04 May 2005, 11:57 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'm off to send them a reply
And here it is !
Originally Posted by Corradoboy to SafeSpeedTwats
--- Philip Gwynne <philip.gwynne@bradford.gov.uk> wrote:

> Thank you for visiting saferroadsday.com... and we
> hope you feel much better
> now you've got that rambling and irrational rant off
> your chest!

Philip,

I've not even got started yet !

Consider that 30% of road fatalities are pedestrians, and that it is statistically proven that 80% of those step out into the road. So it is their fault ! Not the beliguered motorist. Also contemplate that 86% of pedestrians involved in road accidents after 10pm prove to be above what would be the legal drink drive limit ! And also, most pedestrians are knocked over within 150 yards of a pedestrian crossing, but not actually on it. Can we divert some of the scamera funds to setting up a system of jaywalking scameras, and introduce the mandatory wearing of iron on number plates (I suppose your national insurance number will do) to everyones clothing ? No, I didn't think so.
What about motorcycles ? They have no airbags, no seat belts, no laminated glass, no rollover protection, no anti-submarine seats, no side impact beams, no crumple zones ; in fact, nothing but a bucket on their heads and two thumbs and a pair of ********* to keep the rider on the bloody things. And yet they are perfectly legal to own and ride on the public highway and make up 4% of road traffic. Yet that 4% makes up 25% of road deaths !
Cyclists are a particular irritation to me. With no lower age requirement for any road usage (except exemption from motorways) and absolutely no requirement for any formal qualification to be permitted on the public highway, no requirement for insurance to cover either themselves or any third party, or any legal and/or medical cost which they may incur upon themselves or others in the event that they cause an accident, and no-one paying a blind bit of attention as to whether their equipment is in good working order even to the point of whether or not it has any lights fitted (I know there is a legal requirement for this, but most ignore it and no-one upholds it). Horse riders are similar.

So, what I propose is this. We impliment a public awareness campaign on the dangers of jaywalking, and increase penalties for those caught doing so to a level where it is worth the time and effort for someone to collect the revenue. This may theoretically lead to a reduction in pedestrian fatalities of upto 50%.
Motorcycles are to be banned, leading to a 100% reduction in fatalities in this area.
Cyclists are to be restricted to 30mph roads, unless over the age of 14. At 14 they must sit a test similar to the driving and CBT tests, whereby on success they can then acquire insurance and ride on a bike (which has been through an annual safety inspection) on the public highway. Helmets will become mandatory, along with the fitting of working lights at all times. But then again, if we are banning motorcycles, maybe pushbikes should go too ! And horses !
Finally, a point I raised in my post on the internet BBS and quoted in my message to you, all road furniture (telegraph poles, lighting posts and signage) is to be improved with the use of deforming materials. Whether they bend or shatter on impact is up to the powers that be, but this measure alone could save upto 600 lives a year, and may have saved your precious Nissan driver from sustaining such terrible injuries on May 1st.

If all my proposals were to be taken seriously we could theoretically see a reduction in road deaths to the order of 2000 or maybe more. As government policy has failed to reduce these figures for almost 10 years now, don't you think one of us is talking BULL**** ! Oh, and please reserve your faecesious and petty comments to yourself (and I don't care if I spelt that wrong, you get the meaning).

Regards,

David Watson.
(a very disgruntled motorist, who has so far evaded all attempts to criminalise and penalise him)
I wonder how long I can keep him on the hook
Old 04 May 2005, 12:11 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Ha ha ha ha - quality!!!

It still cracks me up that they reckon the woman crashed in her Nissan because she wasn't aware it was a Yorkshire region Road Safety day and wasn't aware of it!
Old 04 May 2005, 12:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Maybe they used the limited YWW (Yorkshire Wide Web), as opposed to the more popular WWW. If they had, she may not have had that accident.

Quick, somebody contact her solicitors
Old 04 May 2005, 01:34 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the YWW is popular because the 4.9 million people living in West Yorkshire obviously logged on, read, understaood and complied with the days request not to have an accident..
Old 04 May 2005, 02:34 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Lies?

Don't quote me on this but the Pulse was reporting that a 2 year old was run over at 11pm on Great Horton Road on safer roads day. You read it right 11PM!
Sums it up for me really.
BTW, I had the same crap reply by e-mail & lost the will to live.
Steve