Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Companies and Facebook!

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2014, 10:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Companies and Facebook!

I am getting heartily sick of visiting a websites or getting marketing emails from companies for them to tell me that if I 'like' them on Facebook I will get entered in a draw to win some of their crap!

Do they not realise that there are actually people out there who aren't on Facebook as they don't want to be on Facebook and think Facebook is full of saddos with no real friends hence why they need 1000 virtual ones!!!

New plan... I am boycotting any company that makes this sort of offer and will be letting them know why
Old 24 February 2014, 11:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I am getting heartily sick of visiting a websites or getting marketing emails from companies for them to tell me that if I 'like' them on Facebook I will get entered in a draw to win some of their crap!

Do they not realise that there are actually people out there who aren't on Facebook as they don't want to be on Facebook and think Facebook is full of saddos with no real friends hence why they need 1000 virtual ones!!!

New plan... I am boycotting any company that makes this sort of offer and will be letting them know why
Oh, dear!

You have wrong idea of Facebook, f1. Facebook isn't as weird as you think. Not any weirder than this place or any other virtual place, although the format is quite informal and dithery, and participation is on global scale. There are plenty of people on FB that only communicate with real life, 3-dimensional friends, and tell complete strangers to p!ss off. I mean why would you make a complete stranger your 'friend' on FB or elsewhere on cyberspace? What if he/she turns out to be an axe murderer or a cat kidnapper, eh? You have to be careful!

Anyway, you need to modernise yourself. You're stuck in 1940's, you are!

About liking anyone's website on FB, just don't do it. Tell them that you don't believe in FB.
Old 24 February 2014, 11:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Oh, dear!

You have wrong idea of Facebook, f1. Facebook isn't as weird as you think. Not any weirder than this place or any other virtual place, although the format is quite informal and dithery, and participation is on global scale. There are plenty of people on FB that only communicate with real life, 3-dimensional friends, and tell complete strangers to p!ss off. I mean why would you make a complete stranger your 'friend' on FB or elsewhere on cyberspace? What if he/she turns out to be an axe murderer or a cat kidnapper, eh? You have to be careful!

Anyway, you need to modernise yourself. You're stuck in 1940's, you are!

About liking anyone's website on FB, just don't do it. Tell them that you don't believe in FB.
Sorry, I'm a grumpy ****er today
Old 24 February 2014, 11:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm a grumpy ****er today
<nods>
Old 24 February 2014, 11:41 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Just today ?
Old 25 February 2014, 01:40 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I totally agree with F1_fan on this. First time for everything I suppose.

However you forgot to mention that Facebook is an extremely intrusive program that spies on your email, texts, contacts etc. Governments love it as they can spy on anyone that's daft enough to use it.
Old 25 February 2014, 05:15 AM
GotBoost?
Scooby Regular

I think it's safe to believe that as soon as you go online or own a mobile phone there is no privacy. Doesn't matter whether you run the Facebook app or not
Old 25 February 2014, 07:27 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't this you then?

https://www.facebook.com/DieHardF1Fan

Old 25 February 2014, 09:53 AM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
I totally agree with F1_fan on this. First time for everything I suppose.

However you forgot to mention that Facebook is an extremely intrusive program that spies on your email, texts, contacts etc. Governments love it as they can spy on anyone that's daft enough to use it.
FB is a wet dream for the NSA, CIA, MI5, MI6, FBI and all the other world wide security organisations,their ultimate goal is monitor and control.

The single most powerful tool for population control and population spying ever created!
People are so mind numbingly hypnotised by the media machine it's unreal.

Last edited by stipete75; 25 February 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 25 February 2014, 10:55 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

You only have to look at all the looting arrests in the months following the 2011 riots to know just how useful the authorities find Facebook

They are helped out by the average FB user being a class A fcukwit though
Old 25 February 2014, 02:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Depends how much of your laundry you put out on Facebook or anywhere else, really. About total privacy or even optimal, once you are anywhere on the net, you are in the net like a fish- like GotBoost says. No point fooling yourself that you're perfectly safe if you're not on Facebook.

Someone from here told it openly a while back that he's on Facebook only to check out people's mugshots.
Old 25 February 2014, 03:18 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't matter what you put on Facebook. If you're on it, it Facebook has access to your computer or smart phone.
I'm not even on it nor will I ever be, but Facebook still tries to access my computer as evidenced by my Peerblock logs.
Old 25 February 2014, 07:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
It doesn't matter what you put on Facebook. If you're on it, it Facebook has access to your computer or smart phone.
I'm not even on it nor will I ever be, but Facebook still tries to access my computer as evidenced by my Peerblock logs.
OK.

But doesn't that Cookie system work similar to that, from all other websites as well? I've been told that once you agree to anyone's cookies, they'll eat your whole life.

One can have two computers to trouble-shoot this issue. One you go on Facebook with, and another one to stash all your personal stuff on.
Old 25 February 2014, 08:43 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Well I guess it had to happen one day, I actually whole heartfelt agree with that post
Old 25 February 2014, 08:47 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got to agree with you here, it has never seemed like a good idea letting all and sundry know my goings on. If I want people to know something I call THEM and let 'em know.
Old 25 February 2014, 09:34 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

For balance it would be nice to have the choice to "like us" or "dislike us" on facebook. I'm with F1 on this one, instant turn off for me when companies use this medium to promote their services.
Old 25 February 2014, 10:42 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
For balance it would be nice to have the choice to "like us" or "dislike us" on facebook. I'm with F1 on this one, instant turn off for me when companies use this medium to promote their services.
The whole system is geared towards marketing and pinpointing the things in our lives that mean most to us Such is life these days.