Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cycling Scotland making idiots of themselves!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2014, 02:34 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycling Scotland making idiots of themselves!

Cycling Scotland advert banned over 'no helmet'

Instead of just fessing up and saying it was a bit silly to make the ad this way they are making idiots of themselves trying to find reasons why not wearing a helmet is a good idea.

I am surprised all the people in the ad didn't have YouTube vigliante cams fitted though, in fact I should write and complain
Old 29 January 2014, 08:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The premise was to demonstrate that vehicle users should give plenty of room and adjust their speed when passing a cyclist or horse. The ASA comments were health and safety gone mad and miss informed. Wearing a helmet(well that is up to the individual rider, given what happened to Schumacher a helmet won't save you from serious injury if hit by a 1 ton car.) Advise riding 50 cm from the kerb edge is ludicrous, given the state of the roads generally and how poor a state the road was in the film.

I ride 1 to 1.5metres from the kerb to give myself room.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
The premise was to demonstrate that vehicle users should give plenty of room and adjust their speed when passing a cyclist or horse. The ASA comments were health and safety gone mad and miss informed. Wearing a helmet(well that is up to the individual rider, given what happened to Schumacher a helmet won't save you from serious injury if hit by a 1 ton car.) Advise riding 50 cm from the kerb edge is ludicrous, given the state of the roads generally and how poor a state the road was in the film.

I ride 1 to 1.5metres from the kerb to give myself room.
Not sure the Schumacher analogy is your best line of defence given that his doctors said if he hadn't been wearing a helmet he would be dead aleady!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

There is no defence at all a light weight helmet will give, it won't reduce the severity of the injury against a vehicle. If Schumacher doesn't make a full recovery, he might well wish he had died.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

There is no defence at all a light weight helmet will give, it won't reduce the severity of the injury against a vehicle. If Schumacher doesn't make a full recovery, he might well wish he had died.
Oh I see, so your argument for not wearing a helmet is it is better to die at the scene than become disabled? Got you
Old 29 January 2014, 08:53 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

No not at all, but a cycle helmet is voluntary. Whilst useful against a minor fall won't save you from a vehicle.

Here is a petition appealing the ASA decision to ban the film.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...e-parking-lane

Unlike the 5 complaints, 1000s have signed the petition
Old 29 January 2014, 09:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No not at all, but a cycle helmet is voluntary. Whilst useful against a minor fall won't save you from a vehicle.

Here is a petition appealing the ASA decision to ban the film.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...e-parking-lane

Unlike the 5 complaints, 1000s have signed the petition
Like smoking in a car full of kids is currently voluntary. I volunteer not to.

I could not find many I died because I wore a bike helmet.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 29 January 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 29 January 2014, 09:17 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

A light hearted film about road manners

Last edited by andy97; 30 January 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 12:40 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Good news the ASA has seen the light due to cycling pressure

"The ASA has withdrawn its formal ruling against a Cycling Scotland ad pending the outcome of an Independent Review. That followed a request from Cycling Scotland, in which it argued that the ASA’s criticism of the positioning of the cyclist was incorrect. The decision to withdraw was made by the ASA Chief Executive in light of a potential flaw in our ruling. Once the Independent Review process is complete we will publish our decision on our website"
Old 30 January 2014, 01:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

See bike: Think horse.

Horse riders wear helmets.....

However, Horses don't.
Old 30 January 2014, 01:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
See bike: Think horse.

Horse riders wear helmets.....

However, Horses don't.
Imagine the mess if a horses' head came through you windscreen
Old 30 January 2014, 01:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

james cracknell, he would be dead it he wasnt wearing a helmet
Old 30 January 2014, 01:46 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
james cracknell, he would be dead it he wasnt wearing a helmet
Possibly, but you cant say for definite, maybe even more damaged than he is now, wasn't he just clipped by a wing mirror? This is my point wearing a helmet will help in minor accidents but wont fully mitigate the risk.

Cycling to the shops on a quiet road should be perfectly safe(well people have been doing it for decades) if vehicles abide with good road manners, whether wearing a helmet or not.

I personally wear a helmet but only started in the last year to do so, cycled since I was a kid without one.
Old 30 January 2014, 01:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but I find it almost incomprehensible why some of the most vulnerable group of road users are so resistant to simple common sense things like wearing a helmet or having some compulsiory tuition on how to ride etc.

In the cold light of day is it really sensible to allow the people most likely to be hurt on the roads (purely because of their vulnerability due to an obvious lack of protection) to cycle with a) no compulsory tuition as regards using the roads, b) no formal test to ensure their bicycle is roadworthy, c) no compulsory form of protection whatsoever, d) no age limit as to when they can take to the roads!

No, it isn't!

Last edited by f1_fan; 30 January 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 02:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sorry, but I find it almost incomprehensible why some of the most vulnerable group of road users are so resistant to simple common sense things like wearing a helmet or having some compulsiory tuition on how to ride etc.

In the cold light of day is it really sensible to allow the people most likely to be hurt on the roads (purely because of their vulnerability due to an obvious lack of protection) to cycle with a) no compulsory tuition as regards using the roads,Cycling proficiency through schools(all my kids have done it) b) no formal test to ensure their bicycle is roadworthy Again cycling proficiency only allow you on the course if your bike is road worthy/ or parent with half an ounce a brain power, not difficult , c) no compuslry form of protection whatsoever- Well personal choice, d) no age limit as to when they can take to the roads!- Any decent parent would only allow their kid once they were competent to do so

No, it isn't!
Old 30 January 2014, 02:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Do you understand the word compulsory?

Anyway I think my car is roadworthy so I am going to not bother with the MOT any more

Last edited by f1_fan; 30 January 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 02:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Why does everything have to be compulsory? Must you wear running shoes, to run. must you walk towards oncoming vehicles at all times.

Cycling is a fun pastime that needs not to be regulated to death. Perfectly safe when vehicle users abide with good road manners and slow down, give a wide berth when the opportunity is there to overtake. You would do it for a horse and rider, so as not to spook them, so why not a for cyclist, a youngster so as not to spook them also.
Old 30 January 2014, 02:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

I could not find many I died because I wore a bike helmet.
Old 30 January 2014, 02:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Why does everything have to be compulsory?
Because cycling on the road is a potentially dangerous pastime at the best of times and the fact you can do so legally with no tuition on a poorly maintained bicycle with no protection at the age of 6 is clearly f**king stupid! It's all very well saying that people woudln't do that as they'd employ commeon sense, but that is clearly not the case as otherwise we wouln't need any legislation for anything!

Then again I suppose you could argue that anyone who takes to the roads on a bicycle without a helmet on is clearly braindead already if they think that is a good idea! :lo1l:
Old 30 January 2014, 02:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Cycling is a fun pastime that needs not to be regulated to death. Perfectly safe when vehicle users abide with good road manners and slow down, give a wide berth when the opportunity is there to overtake. You would do it for a horse and rider, so as not to spook them, so why not a for cyclist, a youngster so as not to spook them also.
Where am I saying I wouldn't do that?

However, when the uneducated unhelmeted buffoon swerves into the path of my vehicle because he/she has no idea of how to cycle on the roads who is going to come off worse? Clue, it isn't me!

As it happens I give cyclists an extremely wide berth for precisely the reason I have no idea if they have the slightest idea what they are doing!

Last edited by f1_fan; 30 January 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 03:33 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Where am I saying I wouldn't do that?

However, when the uneducated unhelmeted buffoon swerves into the path of my vehicle because he/she has no idea of how to cycle on the roads who is going to come off worse? Clue, it isn't me!

As it happens I give cyclists an extremely wide berth for precisely the reason I have no idea if they have the slightest idea what they are doing!
Glad you give them a wide berth and obviously slow down as well

Your described experience seems to have tainted your impression that all cyclists behave erratically all the time. In all walks of life there are numpties
Old 30 January 2014, 03:41 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Possibly, but you cant say for definite, maybe even more damaged than he is now, wasn't he just clipped by a wing mirror? This is my point wearing a helmet will help in minor accidents but wont fully mitigate the risk.

Cycling to the shops on a quiet road should be perfectly safe(well people have been doing it for decades) if vehicles abide with good road manners, whether wearing a helmet or not.

I personally wear a helmet but only started in the last year to do so, cycled since I was a kid without one.
Have you got kids if so do you let them cycle without a helmet. Also you have stated above a helmet will help in minor accidents , so if you weren't to be wearing a helmet in a minor accident this could then become a life threatening accident.
Old 30 January 2014, 03:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

He was "clipped" by a 55mph wing mirror.

Having seen the evidence of death from being "clipped" by a car doing far less I would have been mighty happy wearing a helmet.

More and more people are cycling and the stats show that more and more get injured but they are more likely to survive than not with a helmet on.
Old 30 January 2014, 04:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Your described experience seems to have tainted your impression that all cyclists behave erratically all the time. In all walks of life there are numpties
I never said anything about all cyclists behaving erratically all the time... you do like to put words in my mouth.

The point is how do I know if the one I am approaching is a numptie or not? After all he/she doesn't needs any qualificaton or training to be on the road.... therefore just in case I give them all a wifde berth as I don't want to be involved in maiming them or worse and (more importantly ) I don't want them damaging my car
Old 30 January 2014, 04:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Have you got kids if so do you let them cycle without a helmet. Also you have stated above a helmet will help in minor accidents , so if you weren't to be wearing a helmet in a minor accident this could then become a life threatening accident.
I believe there is a misunderstanding of my position, I advocate using helmets, my kids use them, but I know the limitations of wearing them. I am defending free choice over the use of helmets. I was having a go at the ASA for wrongly banning an advert advocating that vehicles users should give plenty of room to cyclists, oh and horses.

There are so many factors which could lead to an accident, wearing a helmet is not going to reduce that accident from happening, courteous behaviour and segregated lanes for cyclists is far more important.
Old 30 January 2014, 04:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah an artic wing mirror doing 30mph above what he was, you cant say for definate he would be dead, but the expert doctors that treated him said he would be. I'll take their word on it over a guessed 'possibly'.

I realy dont get the argument against it tbh are people that scared of messing up their hair?
Old 30 January 2014, 11:02 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

In the cold light of day is it really sensible to allow the people most likely to be hurt on the roads (purely because of their vulnerability due to an obvious lack of protection) to cycle with a) no compulsory tuition as regards using the roads,Cycling proficiency through schools (all my kids have done it) b) no formal test to ensure their bicycle is roadworthy Again cycling proficiency only allow you on the course if your bike is road worthy/ or parent with half an ounce a brain power, not difficult , c) no compuslry form of protection whatsoever- Well personal choice, d) no age limit as to when they can take to the roads!- Any decent parent would only allow their kid once they were competent to do so

No, it isn't!
Since when did you have kids?
Old 30 January 2014, 11:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by My stalker
Since when did you have kids?
Doh! I think you will find that was Andy adding his comments to my post, pretty obvious really as he bolded them to help you, but I shall ask him to spell it out in really simple terms in future as he probably doesn't realise how hard of thinking you are!
Old 30 January 2014, 11:14 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Doh! I think you will find that was Andy adding his comments to my post, pretty obvious really as he bolded them to help you, but I shall ask him to spell it out in really simple terms in future as he probably doesn't realise how hard of thinking you are!
Old 30 January 2014, 11:37 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Thank God you don't have kids then.

Quick Reply: Cycling Scotland making idiots of themselves!