Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Old series / DVDs.

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2014, 07:02 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Old series / DVDs.

The misses has started to watch one tree hill again and considering the DVD has probably been watched 3 or 4 times and granted they are around 10yrs old it's shocking how poor the picture is.

Is it that the picture has always been poor or do dvd's deteriorate?

If they have always been like that I dread to think what you old folk settled for.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TBH I don't know. I will have to check my old DVDs out. if they turn out to be duff by now, I don't think we intentionally 'settled' for them. It was a case of feeling quite modern and fortunate with the DVD invention. Before DVD, we had video tapes that used to let the flies out on the TV screen after a few months of ragging them around on the video player. One day, the tape would snap, and all would get lost. Basically, we were over the moon with the DVDs.

I've just bought my first ever Blu Ray player for 50 quid from Tesco. My son has a lot of good films on Blu ray discs that I can borrow and watch now. I'm made up until even better stuff comes out to reject Blu Ray.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It was probably shot on a video camera so the imagine was relatively low res originally. Having said that, what is your TV like and what sort of cable goes between the TV and DVD?
Old 19 January 2014, 09:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Before DVD, we had video tapes that used to let the flies out on the TV screen after a few months of ragging them around on the video player.
And certain parts of the tape would get worn out with repeated pauses and rewinds. You would get noticeable static/lines on the screen when you played them over these bits. It was normally 'certain' parts of certain films.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
And certain parts of the tape would get worn out with repeated pauses and rewinds. You would get noticeable static/lines on the screen when you played them over these bits. It was normally 'certain' parts of certain films.
Aye, I get it.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:53 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

try watching them through a bluray player , should upscale them. Some old tv programmes are really bad on normal tv sometimes , so maybe back then things where just rubbish !
Old 19 January 2014, 09:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
The misses has started to watch one tree hill again and considering the DVD has probably been watched 3 or 4 times and granted they are around 10yrs old it's shocking how poor the picture is.

Is it that the picture has always been poor or do dvd's deteriorate?

If they have always been like that I dread to think what you old folk settled for.
I assume we are talking about a commercial copy of the DVD, not a Torrent render or some such.

DVDs can deteriorate as can CDs but not such that they give you a blurry image or whatever it is you are seeing. Instead you will get picture break up etc. as they are digital formats.

As One Tree Hill is a US series my guess is it was rendered in US standard definition which is extremely poor quality compared to even what DVD is capable of and really bad compared to HD.

That said go back and watch some 70s VHS movies if you want to see what we had to put up with as teenagers

Last edited by f1_fan; 19 January 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 20 January 2014, 10:45 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy DVD can degrade over time,got about three that are **** now,chronicles of riddick and couple others.Think it probably depends on how good the copy/disc it was copied on to start with.
Old 20 January 2014, 12:57 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Also, if you are used to watching proper HD format stuff and you go back to watching older stuff it does have a dated look about it now. X Files now looks like it was shot in the 80s yet it feels like yesterday it was on BBC2.