Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where have all the toy shops gone?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2014, 03:48 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where have all the toy shops gone?

I've been trying to find somewhere in Leicester or nearby that sells Britains farm models, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere except on-line sellers.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or have they all just closed down? Time was we had three in my local village (now suburb...), but there's nothing today.

Our big one, Dominoes, closed down last Autumn.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks folks.
Old 18 January 2014, 03:54 PM
r33gts2009
Scooby Regular

Toys r us should have those models , I'm prity sure I've seen them in their stores mate
Old 18 January 2014, 04:03 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the model shops that are dropping like flies

Mi dad has a model railway and I collect 1:18 cars but ebay/amazon is a big culprit in it all.
Old 18 January 2014, 04:24 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Britains are quite hard to find now, is it the military or the farm models you were looking for. If its the farm models I have a person I know who still does them.

Doh just re-read it is the farm models, will see if I can find his email address and phone number out.
Old 18 January 2014, 04:46 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

This shop by us does them

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/in...highlighted=on
Old 18 January 2014, 05:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Toys R US killed the toy shops.
Old 18 January 2014, 05:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same place as all the local 24hr petrol stations.
Old 18 January 2014, 05:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We've ruined shopping by allowing Amazon, eBay and the major outlets to dominate. We recently needed a new fridge/freezer and when we considered where to look at the options, all there was was Curry's. A bit of Googling revealed Appliances Direct had opened a showroom 20 miles away, and then a relative told us about a local place worth a look, but nothing else except online. If you want to touch, feel and see the item before shelling out your hard earned it's getting very difficult. Seduced by lower prices we've betrayed ourselves into a corner
Old 18 January 2014, 06:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
If you want to touch, feel and see the item before shelling out your hard earned it's getting very difficult.
Yes, imo the best buying is when you buy after engaging as many natural senses as possible into buying. Second hand browsing on computer screen is inadequate. Actually it's browsing through the third layer hence third hand; if you wear glasses.
Old 18 January 2014, 06:26 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
I've been trying to find somewhere in Leicester or nearby that sells Britains farm models, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere except on-line sellers.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or have they all just closed down? Time was we had three in my local village (now suburb...), but there's nothing today.

Our big one, Dominoes, closed down last Autumn.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks folks.
There was a toy shop on the A6 in Loughborough town centre. Not sure if it is still there, Haven't been there in a long time but they used to stock lots of models/toys.
Old 18 January 2014, 08:30 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same in carlisle our only toy shop has closed and no decent modle shops anyware
Shame Internet has ruined it
Old 18 January 2014, 09:01 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Not another one of these threads again
Old 18 January 2014, 10:45 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I haven't seen one on here before.

Looks like the toy shops have simply gone, as I suspected. What a shame.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:08 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of tuning/Ice shops have gone near us, Eurocar and Unicar were pretty well known back in the day!

It is the era of the computer for hobby/pastime/escapism.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:45 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

It's a bit like how all the enthusiast camera shops have gone too. Not to mention half of the entire high street!
Old 19 January 2014, 10:04 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

my mate had a market stall selling genuine hello kitty toys and stuff like that he lasted about a month. no one is buying from shops anymore especially when people like amazon can deliver it next day for cheaper than parking
Old 19 January 2014, 10:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
We've ruined shopping by allowing Amazon, eBay and the major outlets to dominate. We recently needed a new fridge/freezer and when we considered where to look at the options, all there was was Curry's. A bit of Googling revealed Appliances Direct had opened a showroom 20 miles away, and then a relative told us about a local place worth a look, but nothing else except online. If you want to touch, feel and see the item before shelling out your hard earned it's getting very difficult. Seduced by lower prices we've betrayed ourselves into a corner
This ^^^^^^ 100%

I did opine a few years ago as to what people will do when there is no Currys etc. for them to go and look at their new TV before buying it cheaper online, but I got laughed at!
Old 19 January 2014, 12:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
This ^^^^^^ 100%

I did opine a few years ago as to what people will do when there is no Currys etc. for them to go and look at their new TV before buying it cheaper online, but I got laughed at!
TBH, if I was to choose a high street retailer to visit, it would be John Lewis. At least you stand a chance of getting a price match, plus a decent warranty.
Old 19 January 2014, 08:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

If I got to Stockport to shop, I have to pay, it costs me fuel and the parking company wants my reg number, I have to run the gauntlet of ********* smacking their door against mine and the general annoyance of going in several shops looking for some, remember "Hmm, no, we dont stock them, you may want to try xyz"

Amazon/Ebay is just too compelling, needed a new "Loft Box" TV signal distributor thingy, nipped on Amazon, got the exact same one and will arrive before next weekend, imagine traipsing round trying to find one of those, or the bearing for the tumble dryer I bought the other day.

The high street is dying back a bit, it will never go, it is a leisure pursuit for a lot of people, witness the Trafford Centre, **** all I want to buy but seems very popular, its rammed all the time, clothes will always need to be available in person for trying on, but a TV, if the specs are all there I dont really need to touch one, got sick of our local Comet, the assistant, for a given item would go in the back four times before they found something in stock, it got to the point when I just said to bring out whatever they had.

Bought an AV amp the other day, ordered it Wednesday at 10AM, it arrived at 10AM the following day, was from Richer Sounds, save me the drive and the parking, plus actually getting time to take two/three hours out to go is difficult and would involve waiting for the weekend and the missus coming and scaling back the purchase.

I order stuff in bulk off the net, it saves money in the long run, cutting disks, one at B and Q is £12, pack of ten is £15 off the net.

I used to love going in the Toy Shop when I was a kid, mine will remember Toys R Us but I dont think they were deprived, Toys R Us is awesome if you are a kid, the local one was cosy and smelt awesome, but it was a big deal when Toy and Hobby opened in Stockport, 5 floors of toys, much more choice, called progress I guess.
Old 19 January 2014, 08:50 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions as to possible places to try, I missed those earlier. Loughborough Model Centre have moved to Derby now, but I'll have to make a trip I think.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I miss Woolworths. They sold a lot of plastic. I found Toys R Us a headwreck! Everything everywhere, too much to confuse me. Woollies were at least organised. I bought a lot of board games and other toys for my kids from there. One of them was something that folded like a globe, but opened into a fascinating castle; like a big form of Polly Pocket thingy. The Hungry Frog was another one that my son really liked. Water guns, Crazy Daizy and paddling Pools were cool as. I can never forget the interactive furby from Woolies. People queued to get that toy, it was so overrated! I was damn lucky to get one for my child before it ran out of stock. Factually, it was hardly interactive. It had compulsive impulses of its own The stupid thing drove my daughter nuts with its random, nonsense, squeaky utterings! My kid tried burying it under her pillow, didn't work. She tried drowning it in the bath, didn't work. She tried throwing it on the floor, didn't work. Eventually we bagged it for some charity shop, and even in the bag, it was talking utter sh!te! I don't know how the OAP volunteers in the charity shop got on with it. ******* nuisance! Anyway, I do miss Woolworths, and I miss those days.

Whoever is buying toys for their little kids, you will look back one day, and say to yourself- "Ah, memories! " The difference is that you will not bond with those toys like we did- as buyers. Your bonding will be cyber-bonding, where ours was the earthy one.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Does the Furby post on SN ?
Old 19 January 2014, 09:47 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Based on the description, I do indeed!
Old 19 January 2014, 09:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I so knew that was coming when I was writing my post.

I did miss a Jacko Furby here. Good to see you back.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
Based on the description, I do indeed!
Another one caught in action.
Old 20 January 2014, 07:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I got to Stockport to shop, I have to pay, it costs me fuel and the parking company wants my reg number, I have to run the gauntlet of ********* smacking their door against mine and the general annoyance of going in several shops looking for some, remember "Hmm, no, we dont stock them, you may want to try xyz"

Amazon/Ebay is just too compelling, needed a new "Loft Box" TV signal distributor thingy, nipped on Amazon, got the exact same one and will arrive before next weekend, imagine traipsing round trying to find one of those, or the bearing for the tumble dryer I bought the other day.

The high street is dying back a bit, it will never go, it is a leisure pursuit for a lot of people, witness the Trafford Centre, **** all I want to buy but seems very popular, its rammed all the time, clothes will always need to be available in person for trying on, but a TV, if the specs are all there I dont really need to touch one, got sick of our local Comet, the assistant, for a given item would go in the back four times before they found something in stock, it got to the point when I just said to bring out whatever they had.

Bought an AV amp the other day, ordered it Wednesday at 10AM, it arrived at 10AM the following day, was from Richer Sounds, save me the drive and the parking, plus actually getting time to take two/three hours out to go is difficult and would involve waiting for the weekend and the missus coming and scaling back the purchase.

I order stuff in bulk off the net, it saves money in the long run, cutting disks, one at B and Q is £12, pack of ten is £15 off the net.

I used to love going in the Toy Shop when I was a kid, mine will remember Toys R Us but I dont think they were deprived, Toys R Us is awesome if you are a kid, the local one was cosy and smelt awesome, but it was a big deal when Toy and Hobby opened in Stockport, 5 floors of toys, much more choice, called progress I guess.
Pretty much sums it up, items are cheap to post (if not free) with a returns policy, no reason to shop in the real world. I needed some grass killer, could of gone down to B and Q after work tonight, parked up at the other end of the car park, dragged the kids out, in the cold wet weather. Walked around the massive place six times looking for it.. I rolled over in bed, opened the ebay app and ordered it to my door for £5 less.

Old 20 January 2014, 07:48 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
It's a bit like how all the enthusiast camera shops have gone too. Not to mention half of the entire high street!
My local camera shop seems remarkably resilient, and I can't really explain how. Last time I was in there, they tried to fob me off with a discontinued model from the previous year at full RRP.

Shame about Jessops, though, I put a lot of business their way. At least Park Cameras are still around and doing OK.

If I got to Stockport to shop, I have to pay, it costs me fuel and the parking company wants my reg number, I have to run the gauntlet of ********* smacking their door against mine
Absolutely. If you want me to shop in your town, charging me to cram my car into a tiny space in a multi-storey is not a good start - and expecting me to lug my shopping home on the bus is even worse.

clothes will always need to be available in person for trying on, but a TV, if the specs are all there I dont really need to touch one
That's the big difference. For items I actually need to see or try before purchase, there's no substitute for bricks & mortar, but for something that's completely described by its make and model, a retailer has no value to add.

The most obvious example is music. What possible reason could there be to buy a CD in person, when I can order it from the much wider selection at Amazon, have it delivered the next day, pay less, *and* get the MP3 to listen to in the meantime?

TVs are an odd one. I'd love to be able to see what the picture is like, but TV shops usually set them up so badly that it's impossible.

Bought an AV amp the other day, ordered it Wednesday at 10AM, it arrived at 10AM the following day, was from Richer Sounds
I always buy hi-fi in person, there's no substitute for a proper demo. Richer Sounds do seem to be able to do this as well as being price competitive, so full marks there.
Old 20 January 2014, 02:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aaah can you remember your mum taking you to the local toyshop? Mental excitement.

My local one was McDowell's (no longer ) in Braintree, Essex - back in the 70s/80s. The memories.

Last edited by joz8968; 20 January 2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 20 January 2014, 02:13 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try these guys, online but not many shops out there as previously stated.

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/c-...x?section=-24-
Old 20 January 2014, 02:28 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

When parking is more expensive in town centres than delivery its pointless to travel for less choice. Hopefully some councils will wake up soon - and see that motorists/people have to be actually encouraged and not penalised to go into town centres.

Same applies to rates...the model where a shop pays a small fortune compared to someone operating out of a storage unit is unsustainable. But it probably wont change for the better until its too late.