Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need some advice from you property gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2014, 01:19 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from you property gurus.

I've seen a terrace which ticks all my boxes. On the surface it needs a little TLC but has scope to be a nice place. Only two issues; one is I will need to gazump someone. The other is I notice a bit of damp in the cellar. I'm not too worried about gazumping someone but I don't think it's worth more than 10 k over the their bid. The damp issue however:

Initially I thought the damp might be trivial, but I walked past the property again and notice the front bay window is at a very slight - almost imperceptible - angle, like there has been some past movement, and in the brickwork above the window there is some random pointing which could be covering slight cracks through the cement, and it's on the side where the window has moved down. The damp is just below this bay window in the cellar below, so I'm worried there could have been a burst pipe once or some ongoing leaking? I dunno. These terraces are over 100 years old, could have moved decades ago?

Writing this now I think I should probably not bother, but is there anyway to find records of previous insurance claims or any work related to possible subsidence? The property was apparently being rented out but was repossessed. There has been some money spent on it the last few years with what looks like an 80% refurbishment, including the damp cellar, but it's like they gave up and it was repossessed, or ?? Perhaps I am being paranoid now?

Problem with these old houses is they are like old suburus which have been though numerous owners, with mods and repairs and sod all paperwork. You just hope they aren't hiding nasty secrets. I'm not getting much out of the estate agent when I mentioned the damp, they know what not to say!

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 15 January 2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 15 January 2014, 06:23 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have both surveys and searches conducted. The survey should show any issues with the property, the search should show any concerns with the plot.
Old 15 January 2014, 07:35 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

on balance (and subject to a basic survey) i would take a 100 year old property against a sh1te new build every day of the week

sounds like the fundementals are all there - subject to the location not being underneath the M6
Old 15 January 2014, 08:36 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I've seen a terrace which ticks all my boxes. On the surface it needs a little TLC but has scope to be a nice place. Only two issues; one is I will need to gazump someone. The other is I notice a bit of damp in the cellar. I'm not too worried about gazumping someone but I don't think it's worth more than 10 k over the their bid. The damp issue however:

Initially I thought the damp might be trivial, but I walked past the property again and notice the front bay window is at a very slight - almost imperceptible - angle, like there has been some past movement, and in the brickwork above the window there is some random pointing which could be covering slight cracks through the cement, and it's on the side where the window has moved down. The damp is just below this bay window in the cellar below, so I'm worried there could have been a burst pipe once or some ongoing leaking? I dunno. These terraces are over 100 years old, could have moved decades ago?

Writing this now I think I should probably not bother, but is there anyway to find records of previous insurance claims or any work related to possible subsidence? The property was apparently being rented out but was repossessed. There has been some money spent on it the last few years with what looks like an 80% refurbishment, including the damp cellar, but it's like they gave up and it was repossessed, or ?? Perhaps I am being paranoid now?

Problem with these old houses is they are like old suburus which have been though numerous owners, with mods and repairs and sod all paperwork. You just hope they aren't hiding nasty secrets. I'm not getting much out of the estate agent when I mentioned the damp, they know what not to say!

If I were being polite I'd say you were risk averse.

However in reality you are a natural ditherer and will find any reason not to buy. This causes you frustration which you then release by vitriolic and pseudo intellectual arguments against the whole concept of property and land ownership.

It's quite amusing

And why are you asking for advice from 'property gurus'? I thought people who made money from property were no better than slave traders/benefit cheats and were basically robbing the poor.

Make you mind up or I'll have to add schizophrenia to your list of ailments
Old 15 January 2014, 09:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like your in danger of becoming what you hate most, devoid of morality gazumping some poor young couple with a family out of their dream home shame on you.

Aside from that i'd say walk away as it sounds to me like it could well require under pinning, i'd have a good look at the other houses on the row and see if there are any similar issues, apart from that I have had houses with cellars all my life and damp is always an issue to a lesser or greater degree, some bright spark as probably blocked off the coal shoot and other ventilation points to avoid drafts coming up through the floor boards, or maybe like a lot of these old houses it's on a sand base which has washed away where the rain has crept in over the years, they usually have a brick floor in the cellar, I once had to remove an anderson shelter and take all the bricks out, then dig down a foot and fill it with concrete, that was fun.

P.s the anderson shelter went down about 3 feet and there was still no solid ground under that.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:18 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Could just be settlement over the years or as you say it could be due to a leaking pipe or some such. Worst case scenario is a cracked / collapsed sewer pipe but even that is not too difficult to rectify with some of these modern building repair inventions.

Get a decent survey and maybe a drain survey on top of that. Problem is if the survey comes back with issues you won't have much wiggle room on reducing your offer as if you lower it too much they'll sell to the lot you're trying to gazump. Survey will set you back around £800 - £1000.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:38 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Graz
Worst case scenario is a cracked / collapsed sewer pipe but even that is not too difficult to rectify with some of these modern building repair inventions.
i have had to do that before now - peanuts in the grand scheme of things
Old 15 January 2014, 09:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd also add; Look at the roof line of all the properties (the ridge) and see if that sags too, which will give you an idea as to the extent of the subsidence, as above though it's probably just settled over the years.

If you do go for it you'll need to buy a decent de-humidifier and have it running 24/7 for a few years as well as cleaning and treating the walls with some special paint.

I have been in my current house 9yrs and always have one running, but it also has a tiled floor and walls and is in constant daily use, it's the only way to do it if you want to make use of the extra space a cellar offers for storage etc, mine has two chest freezers and all manner of stuff stored down there as well as being the winter laundry drying room and pantry.

I love cellars and wouldn't buy a house that didn't have one.
Old 15 January 2014, 01:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

However in reality you are a natural ditherer and will find any reason not to buy. This causes you frustration which you then release by vitriolic and pseudo intellectual arguments against the whole concept of property and land ownership.

It's quite amusing

And why are you asking for advice from 'property gurus'? I thought people who made money from property were no better than slave traders/benefit cheats and were basically robbing the poor.

Laugh? I nearly shat!
Old 15 January 2014, 01:15 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

All property is theft.
Old 15 January 2014, 03:09 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
All property is theft.

Then you must be the biggest thieving barsteward on Scoobynet.
Old 15 January 2014, 03:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Then you must be the biggest thieving barsteward on Scoobynet.
You never know.
Old 15 January 2014, 04:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'd also add; Look at the roof line of all the properties (the ridge) and see if that sags too, which will give you an idea as to the extent of the subsidence, as above though it's probably just settled over the years.

If you do go for it you'll need to buy a decent de-humidifier and have it running 24/7 for a few years as well as cleaning and treating the walls with some special paint.

I have been in my current house 9yrs and always have one running, but it also has a tiled floor and walls and is in constant daily use, it's the only way to do it if you want to make use of the extra space a cellar offers for storage etc, mine has two chest freezers and all manner of stuff stored down there as well as being the winter laundry drying room and pantry.

I love cellars and wouldn't buy a house that didn't have one.
I can't see significant sag in the apex of the roof but both end walls of this row (of six IIRC) do 'bow' out very slightly, so I'm thinking any movement is old, and I can see a little tilt in some other bay windows in a couple of the other properties. I went back to the property now and I think the damp is from a leak on the 'roof' of the bay window because I can see wet/damp brick work going down the side of the window (the brickwork) to the damp spot in the cellar.

Anyway, I'm giving it a miss because the property has an offer already (for cash (apparently, not that I believe a word estate agents say) and I could be spending money on a survey for nothing.

I totally agree about the need for cellars and it is a prerequisite for me with one of these terraces.
Old 15 January 2014, 08:48 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

I totally agree about the need for cellars and it is a prerequisite for me with one of these terraces.[/QUOTE]

That's what Fred and Rose said !!!!!!
Old 15 January 2014, 08:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shytorque
I totally agree about the need for cellars and it is a prerequisite for me with one of these terraces.
That's what Fred and Rose said !!!!!![/quote]

Yes and they made a killing with their property.....
Old 15 January 2014, 11:17 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Laugh? I nearly shat!
Only nearly? I think I did!
Old 15 January 2014, 11:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's quite amusing

Owning other peoples houses induces a grandiosity which other asset classes don't. Puncture this grandiosity and and the vitriol is almost infinite.
Old 16 January 2014, 12:05 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I would ask the neighbours.
Old 16 January 2014, 07:58 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Owning other peoples houses induces a grandiosity which other asset classes don't. Puncture this grandiosity and and the vitriol is almost infinite.

Unless you are a bank how can you own somebody elses house?

The people you refer to 'own' their own house, they just happen to be kind enough to let others live there for a fee.
Old 16 January 2014, 10:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

If the place is 100 years old and a terrace then I'd not worry too much about a little bit of damp in the cellars etc. it sounds like an exciting proposition. Get a full on survey done. If anything nasty turns up use it to negotiate on price. If, like we had, the surveyor misses something then you can claim restitution. Ours missed a broken pane in a double glazed sliding door. They paid the total value of replacement which we put towards a set of French doors.