Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a House

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2014, 09:42 PM
Beastra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a House

Quick question with regards to the whole process of buying a house.

A survey on the new house has been carried out and I received the report today. A few minor issues have been mentioned which I'm not concerned about but it did highlight that the Gas and Electric has not been certified and the guttering on the house and conservatory is leaking in a couple of places.

Now I don't really want to go down the route of putting in a new offer as the mortgage has been approved and the price is on all paperwork. What I would like to do is go back to the seller and ask if he's willing to get the Gas and Electric checked and certified and also get someone to survey the guttering to see what's needed (repair or full replacement).

Now, this is the first time I've bought a house and would like to know what the correct procedure is to go back to the seller. Should it be done through the solicitor or the estate agent?

Any advice would be great as I'm keen to keep everything on track.

Many thanks.

Barry
Old 04 January 2014, 09:48 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Personally I would go back through the solicitor, I would think the lack of gas and electric certification is just a standard comment and nothing to worry about. The guttering wouldn't bother me but the conservatory would.

It's pretty normal to ask for a reduction if the survey showed up something detrimental.
Old 04 January 2014, 09:49 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Of course it all really depends on what sort of deal you did on the house in the first place, if you don't want to lose it do you really want to rock the boat?
Old 04 January 2014, 10:12 PM
Beastra
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, yeah you could be right, if I have to go back through the solicitor that cost me more than if I get the checks done myself. Might look into costs to get the gas and electric checked/tested.

The house has everything we need and got it for £5,000 less than the asking price. The whole process is moving along nicely and want to keep it that way.
Old 04 January 2014, 10:30 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'd not rock the boat for that lot.
Old 04 January 2014, 10:36 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plastic guttering not a problem couple of hours up a ladder with some
Gutter sealant for under a tenner
Conservatory roof should be similar unless the base has dipped due to dodgy
Foundations which can happen

Certificates would not worry unless your letting it out or planning
To sell it in the near future
Old 04 January 2014, 10:41 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Plastic guttering not a problem couple of hours up a ladder with some
Gutter sealant for under a tenner
Conservatory roof should be similar unless the base has dipped due to dodgy
Foundations which can happen

Certificates would not worry unless your letting it out or planning
To sell it in the near future
+1 The leakage shouldnt be too drastic it may have started showing because of all of the sh**e weather we have had recently.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 04 January 2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05 January 2014, 12:30 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

As has already been said it depends how much you want the house and the cost implications of what you now know vs the cost of putting a spanner in the works.

Personally speaking if I really want a house and we are talking issues less than a couple of grand then I'd be inclined to move swiftly on with the purchase, especially in a sellers market. Prices are moving up and supply in my local area is defo falling way short of demand.......make the decision though that is right for your circumstances and if there is a big cost implication over what has been discovered, then it is always best to get it professionally checked out before you exchange......

Good Luck

Last edited by Fabioso; 05 January 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05 January 2014, 01:20 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The comments on the gas and electric are pretty standard, surveyors aren't "experts" in that field so recommend to get them inspected by someone who is. The guttering isnt too much of an issue as long as the soffits arent rotting.

The conservatory is a bit more of a concern, firstly go back to the surveyor and get more detail. Is it easy to fix? What has caused the problem in the first place? Poor quality materials? Poor workmanship? Dodgy foundations? Or something as simple as they need cleaning out? Get him to give an idea of the price to fix. Take it from there
Old 05 January 2014, 02:07 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

I don't understand why everyone thinks there is a big issue with the conservatory?

Originally Posted by Beastra
Quick question with regards to the whole process of buying a house.

A survey on the new house has been carried out and I received the report today. A few minor issues have been mentioned which I'm not concerned about but it did highlight that the Gas and Electric has not been certified and the guttering on the house and conservatory is leaking in a couple of places.

Now I don't really want to go down the route of putting in a new offer as the mortgage has been approved and the price is on all paperwork. What I would like to do is go back to the seller and ask if he's willing to get the Gas and Electric checked and certified and also get someone to survey the guttering to see what's needed (repair or full replacement).

Now, this is the first time I've bought a house and would like to know what the correct procedure is to go back to the seller. Should it be done through the solicitor or the estate agent?

Any advice would be great as I'm keen to keep everything on track.

Many thanks.

Barry
That to me reads like the gutters leak on the house and the conservatory, a couple of hundred quid to fix at most, definitely not worth losing a house over.
Old 05 January 2014, 04:43 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same lol, guttering will cost next to nothing to repair, you've saved on the asking price already so I would let things proceed then sort the little things as and when time and funds allow.

Mick
Old 05 January 2014, 09:33 PM
Beastra
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I'm going to get the gas and electric checked myself, less the £200 for both so no problem really. As for the guttering, yeah to get it cleaned and checked is pennies so will get that done myself and hope that the leaks are not too bad.

As I said, this is all new to me so maybe I'm being a bit over cautious.
Old 05 January 2014, 09:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I don't understand why everyone thinks there is a big issue with the conservatory?

That to me reads like the gutters leak on the house and the conservatory, a couple of hundred quid to fix at most, definitely not worth losing a house over.
That's how I read it too