Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Accents in the UK!

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2013, 06:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accents in the UK!

I got speaking to an American today who lives here and mentioned how we have so many different accents for such a small country. He said the first time he heard a Geordie speak he needed a translator LOL!

Thinking about it he is right and it is amazing that despite the amount of movement around the country now, compared to 100 years ago for instance, we still have such a diversity of regional accents and they aren't getting 'lost' or don't seem to be.

Is it a good thing though as do some accents still prejudice people? Remember it's not that long ago 'northern' people couldn't get a job on the BBC because of their accent, for example.

Personally I like the diversity of accents, but there are some I like more than others of course!
Old 24 December 2013, 06:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Shame the BBC have relaxed their policy.....

dl
Old 24 December 2013, 06:11 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

No-one can guess where I come from or my accent. I speak the Queen's english with a slight posh/london twang but get me drunk and in the company of my fellow county men and it changes
Old 24 December 2013, 06:47 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not just different accents, but different ways of going about business and life in general.
Compared with Australia, I find it quite regionally diverse, whereas in Aus it is basically very samey where ever you go.
Although TBF, everything in Aus is the best, so I guess it will be a bit samey.
Old 24 December 2013, 07:06 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

What annoys the **** out of me is people (well actually complete fcuktards) who try and type in their local accent, I've deleted loads of people even close friends for this.
Old 24 December 2013, 07:28 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I got speaking to an American today who lives here and mentioned how we have so many different accents for such a small country. He said the first time he heard a Geordie speak he needed a translator LOL!

Thinking about it he is right and it is amazing that despite the amount of movement around the country now, compared to 100 years ago for instance, we still have such a diversity of regional accents and they aren't getting 'lost' or don't seem to be.

Is it a good thing though as do some accents still prejudice people? Remember it's not that long ago 'northern' people couldn't get a job on the BBC because of their accent, for example.

Personally I like the diversity of accents, but there are some I like more than others of course!
Referring to the BBC, I am Lancashire born and bred but I just can't understand why the BBC have relocated to Salford, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 24 December 2013, 07:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
What annoys the **** out of me is people (well actually complete fcuktards) who try and type in their local accent, I've deleted loads of people even close friends for this.
Thee's reet thou knows
Old 24 December 2013, 07:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Referring to the BBC, I am Lancashire born and bred but I just can't understand why the BBC have relocated to Salford, it just doesn't make sense.
Salford is not in Lancashire
Old 24 December 2013, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I've deleted loads of people even close friends for this.
I'm surprised I evaded the FB cull, Duncan.

Nowt wrong with Geordies, Chris(F1)! Although I would agree, that, we can be hard to understand at times.
Old 24 December 2013, 07:49 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Nowt wrong with Geordies, Chris(F1)! Although I would agree, that, we can be hard to understand at times.
I know, it was the American who had the issues and you know what they are like (they had to have Trainspotting subtitled at the cinema LOL).

The Geordie accent is actually one of my favourite accents! They can make the most depressing statement sound optimistic just with their accent
Old 24 December 2013, 07:52 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Salford is not in Lancashire
It used to be though, you're probably too young to remember.

The name of Salford derives from the Old English word Sealhford, meaning a ford by the willow trees. It referred to the willows (Latin: salix) or sallows that grew alongside the banks of the River Irwell.The ford was about where Victoria Bridge is today. Willow trees are still found in Lower Broughton.

Salford appears in the pipe roll of 1169 as "Sauford" and in the Lancashire Inquisitions of 1226 as "Sainford".
Old 24 December 2013, 07:59 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Pardon?

Old 24 December 2013, 08:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I have to admit that some blokes from the North West sound camp and the women sound dirty. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but if you were an out of area gay in Manchester looking for fun you could get punched a lot making the wrong calls. It took me a while before I thought someone with an obvious Glaswegian accent could have something intelligent to say.
Old 24 December 2013, 08:06 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

You are actually quite tame compared to some of the local spazzys up here.
Old 24 December 2013, 08:07 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I have to admit that some blokes from the North West sound camp and the women sound dirty. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but if you were an out of area gay in Manchester looking for fun you could get punched a lot making the wrong calls. It took me a while before I thought someone with an obvious Glaswegian accent could have something intelligent to say.
How many times have you been punched then sweetie? (spoken in best camp northern accent)
Old 24 December 2013, 08:08 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It took me a while before I thought someone with an obvious Glaswegian accent could have something intelligent to say.
Let me guess - the someone was female?
Old 24 December 2013, 08:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Old 24 December 2013, 10:01 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Up the Geordies....
Old 24 December 2013, 10:27 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I love a Geordie accent on a female.
I'm slightly posh, ex private school Surrey but it's only a slight twang. Sometimes handy, other times not useful at all.
Old 24 December 2013, 11:12 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by SwissTony
No-one can guess where I come from or my accent. I speak the Queen's english with a slight posh/london twang but get me drunk and in the company of my fellow county men and it changes
You are right there. If I didn't know, I would never guess. It's in your blood though, even if it takes a drink to let it out.

The Geordie accent is actually one of my favourite accents! They can make the most depressing statement sound optimistic just with their accent
Old 24 December 2013, 11:35 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
It used to be though, you're probably too young to remember.

The name of Salford derives from the Old English word Sealhford, meaning a ford by the willow trees. It referred to the willows (Latin: salix) or sallows that grew alongside the banks of the River Irwell.The ford was about where Victoria Bridge is today. Willow trees are still found in Lower Broughton.

Salford appears in the pipe roll of 1169 as "Sauford" and in the Lancashire Inquisitions of 1226 as "Sainford".
You can dress it up all you like - its still a **** hole

Anyway, midlands accents - friggin awful, from the west through to the east (especially the Nottingham dialect. Ayup mi duck...) makes everyone sound as thick as pig ****.
Old 24 December 2013, 11:35 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I love a Geordie accent on a female.
I'm slightly posh, ex private school Surrey but it's only a slight twang. Sometimes handy, other times not useful at all.
Living in the North East. There is a Geordie accent, then the is `The` Geordie accent. The nice accent you speak of, is the nice Geordie `Soft` accent (Like Cheryl Tweedy). Trust me, a female with a proper `Hard` Accent sounds as rough as Bull Lugs.

Living up here, even I struggle to work out (in a proper strong accent) what the hell they're saying.

Same as the Scouse Accent. A nice soft Scouse accent on a fit bird is very nice.
Old 24 December 2013, 11:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Anyway, midlands accents - friggin awful, from the west through to the east (especially the Nottingham dialect. Ayup mi duck...) makes everyone sound as thick as pig ****.
Born and raised in Nottingham, mi duck, but no-one thinks I'm from (t)here. Possibly due to all the time living abroad, where I was surrounded by Scousers, Brummies, Geordies, Dutch and Spanish-speakers. Plus I've never said "mi duck" in my hole life. Personally, I any accent north of NG5 grates on me.
Old 25 December 2013, 12:02 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I prefer clear, unaccented English that I can understand. I'm not sure about mine. It inevitably bears a touch of the Indian accent, but not as strong as those call centre people's from AOL etc.

About local accents, I used to think that Scottish accent was quite patronising, as they finish their sentences (even questions) as if they're trying to convince you with their final answer. I understood after a long time that that's the way they speak. Once a Scottish medical consultant said to me- "****". I asked his trainees whether he literally wanted me to **** in front of everyone. They explained that he was requesting me to sit, really. About Welsh accent, I continue to find it quite bi-polar, although I can kind of understand what they're saying. Manchester accent like Corrie makes me think they can speak properly if they try a little harder, but they prefer not to. About London accent, I think that they feel so fekking urban and cool that they have to prove it with an unnecessary, cockneyfied slant. Geordies simply can't help, so I accept their accent without any quibble.

I feel sorry for Andy Murray, as he has picked up his pretty girlfriend's accent. I don't like him speaking like a hairdresser.

Last edited by Turbohot; 25 December 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 25 December 2013, 08:27 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

I feel sorry for Andy Murray, as he has picked up his pretty girlfriend's accent. I don't like him speaking like a hairdresser.
lol!!
Old 25 December 2013, 08:34 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Brummies all sound thick though
Old 25 December 2013, 08:36 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Brummies all sound thick though
That really is a horrible accent though.
Old 25 December 2013, 09:18 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Pardon?

Old 25 December 2013, 11:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The BBC only allow a few accents, even now.

Lancashire, Geordie and Liverpool are fine.
Yorkshire is a no-no, as is North Lincs.

Lincolnshire, Midlands, the SW, East Anglia all never feature and the only Brummy is that punched in face bloke that does the footy now.

However, Scots, Irish, even harsh Norn Irish, and Welsh are all de rigueur, as are Essex and the SE, cockney and the south coast.
Old 25 December 2013, 07:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Youre a Geordie arent you, under all that soft Southern sh*te?

Quick Reply: Accents in the UK!