Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone work in Car Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2013, 04:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone work in Car Insurance?

My renewal is due, and I attanded a Speed awareness course in February.

What affect on insurance does attending one of these courses have?

Any how many years does it keep affecting your renewals?

Do they class it as having 3 points on licence for 3 years, but affecting insurance for 5?
Old 07 December 2013, 07:21 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

It doesn't, basically.
Old 07 December 2013, 07:37 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Actually it can.

I've been with Admiral for a few years. I did a speed awareness course last October. I renewed my insurance in December and was told that it didn't affect the insurance. This year I was told that it's added £60.

They said that they monitored the statistics for a year of speed awareness course takers versus points takers and found no difference in risk so they're now adding charges if you've been on a course. Other companies may be different.
Old 07 December 2013, 08:09 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Speed awareness just stops you from getting points and to educate you to make you more aware of the dangers, it doesn't affect insurance afaik.
Old 07 December 2013, 08:10 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

why would you disclose this to your insurer

you are asked any current/pending convictions or endorsements

a speed awareness course is something that doesnt give you points so it would be on par with telling your insurers you had been fined for not wearing a seatbelt which again doesnt give you points or an endorsement
Old 07 December 2013, 08:23 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO telling insurers things they don't need to know or doesn't involve them gives them an excuse/blag to charge you extra as your daft enough to tell them in the first place....(see you coming).
Old 07 December 2013, 10:35 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Nothing to do with speed awareness, but my car was bumped in a car park, witness got his reg, so I waited for the driver to come back. He denied all knowledge of this and drove off. Reported to local police station, was told to contact my insurance. Got the work done on my car, then got renewal papers this Morning and my premium has gone up and my ncb has gone down from maximum to 3 years. Apparently claim is MY fault until sorted.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2013, 11:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
why would you disclose this to your insurer

you are asked any current/pending convictions or endorsements

a speed awareness course is something that doesnt give you points so it would be on par with telling your insurers you had been fined for not wearing a seatbelt which again doesnt give you points or an endorsement
They did ask if I'd been on any speed awareness course, as part of their "any convictions/pending" questions. I didn't say yes, as wasn't renewing till 17th.
So was just wanting to know the likely consequences of telling the truth.
Old 08 December 2013, 12:07 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
Actually it can.

I've been with Admiral for a few years. I did a speed awareness course last October. I renewed my insurance in December and was told that it didn't affect the insurance. This year I was told that it's added £60.

They said that they monitored the statistics for a year of speed awareness course takers versus points takers and found no difference in risk so they're now adding charges if you've been on a course. Other companies may be different.
As of two weeks ago, I'm also with Admiral again this year. They didn't ask me anything about speed awareness courses, just the usual "any convictions" questions which doesn't apply to this.
Old 08 December 2013, 07:03 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I can't comment on whether they're specifically asking if you've been on a speed awareness course but it does seem to be common knowledge that the Admiral group are now charging extra for people who've been on these courses.

For £60 I wouldn't want to risk invalidating my insurance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-licence.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860
Old 08 December 2013, 07:26 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

If it's of such importance to them that they feel the need to charge for it, they should specifically ask that question rather than relying on their customers reading about it in the media and then volunteering that information.

It's not mentioned, either way, in any of my documentation from Admiral, saw no reference to it in either their online quote facility nor any of the t&C's on the website at all. Ergo it's not a condition of my agreement with them and thus cannot invalidate my cover.

Perhaps they've simply had a change of heart on the subject since November last year. I know that they do reference previous cover/quotes so presume because you've volunteered that information to them already they will always load your premium for it, but that is just an assumption.

Last edited by ilogikal1; 08 December 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08 December 2013, 07:38 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I don't think you checked the online quote facility carefully enough, or they've recently changed it.

I just did a quick quote on the Admiral website, I got to the motoring convictions part, clicked No, a window popped up with some additional information automatically and the last line was

"In addition to this you must declare any driver awareness courses such as a speed awareness course."
Old 08 December 2013, 07:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

AFAIK it's only Admiral who charge.

None of the insurers we use even ask.
Old 08 December 2013, 07:42 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
Sorry but I don't think you checked the online quote facility carefully enough, or they've recently changed it.

I just did a quick quote on the Admiral website, I got to the motoring convictions part, clicked No, a window popped up with some additional information automatically and the last line was

"In addition to this you must declare any driver awareness courses such as a speed awareness course."
Interesting. Thinking about it, I might have done the initial quote through a comparison site actually. However I certainly wasn't asked that on any of the numerous phone calls to them, and there's certainly nothing on my documents about it (I've just double checked again to be sure )
Old 08 December 2013, 07:44 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
AFAIK it's only Admiral who charge.

None of the insurers we use even ask.
Good