Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Taxing a car, a question about insurance..

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2013, 11:13 AM
JayM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taxing a car, a question about insurance..

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding taxing a car - I bought another car last week and had it dropped off at my address, it is currently sat off road without tax (however it still shows as taxed on the system as the old owner sent it off for refund and this hasn't been processed yet).

The car is currently on a traders policy to conform with the (stupid) insurance rules.

I intend to tax the car at the end of the month to start using it on the 1st, however, I don't want to insure both of my cars on my policy as I'll be selling my current car.

If I ring my insurance company and ask them to switch over my policy on the 31st at midnight so it is valid on my new car on the 1st, will I be able to use that insurance certificate (valid from the 1st) to tax my car on the 29th?

I'd assume the answer SHOULD be yes, as the insurance will be valid when the tax starts, and I'd be able to go in on the 1st and tax it, but the post office isn't nearby and I don't really want to mess around with busses!

Failing the above working, my friend has offered to do it on his traders cert, but say he'd have to write his name on the new owners slip (this is what I'll be taxing it with as the new logbook hasn't come through yet) - he said he could write it on in pencil and they'd accept it, but I'm not so sure?

Thanks.
Old 28 October 2013, 11:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as you have a certificate that commences on the 1st with the new car details, then yes.
No certificate, no tax
Old 28 October 2013, 12:21 PM
JayM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
So long as you have a certificate that commences on the 1st with the new car details, then yes.
No certificate, no tax

So you're saying that yes, I can tax the car on the 29th (tax starting on the 1st) with an insurance certficate that becomes valid on the 1st, right?
Old 28 October 2013, 12:50 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayM
So you're saying that yes, I can tax the car on the 29th (tax starting on the 1st) with an insurance certficate that becomes valid on the 1st, right?
I'd say that you can't. Car tax doesn't have a 'start date' as such. It has a 'finish date'. So unless the insurance cert starts when you tax it they can't issue a tax disc.

I could be wrong though?

I'd nip down the Post Office and ask them.
Old 28 October 2013, 02:09 PM
JayM
Scooby Regular

Done some further digging into PDF's on the gov site and looks like I can answer my own question;

A valid insurance certificate or cover note
(not the policy, schedule,renewal notice or receipt). The certificate must cover liability to thirdparties, be valid on the date the tax disc comes into force, and show that it covers the vehicle you are taxing. If the cover isn’t clear, you may be asked to provide written confirmation of the cover.

• A valid MoT, PSV or Goods Vehicle test certificate
– the certificate must
be valid on the date the tax disc comes into force. If you have a vehicle
that does not need an MoT or test certificate, see section G opposite.
Old 28 October 2013, 02:14 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Last time I bought a new car I rang the insurance company to ask about changing the insurance over and to ask about my current car as I would still have it whilst I sold it. They insured my new car from when I wanted it to start and gave me 14 days cover on the old one from that date for no extra cost as part of the policy, might be worth a phone call.
Old 28 October 2013, 02:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proper certificate to, cover notes are probably not accepted
Old 28 October 2013, 02:24 PM
JayM
Scooby Regular

It does state "A valid insurance certificate or cover note" so cover note should be fine, however, I get my insurance cert delivered by email and print it out, I've never had any issues taxing in the past, I just hope the person in the post office knows the rules on early taxing!
Old 28 October 2013, 02:50 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

You can tax for the next month 2 working days before it's due as long as it is insured on the 1st of the coming month.
Old 28 October 2013, 08:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
Last time I bought a new car I rang the insurance company to ask about changing the insurance over and to ask about my current car as I would still have it whilst I sold it. They insured my new car from when I wanted it to start and gave me 14 days cover on the old one from that date for no extra cost as part of the policy, might be worth a phone call.

I've done that several times over the years.

dl
Old 29 October 2013, 11:09 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

Probably easier to get your friend to tax it on traders policy,
They wont accept it written in pencil, But there are erasable pens that work just as good (Exactly what I use when taxing for a customer ready to collect the car)